“A superior hotel with one not-so-minor problem”

The American Colony Hotel
Ranked #8 of 98 Hotels in Jerusalem
New York, NY
“A superior hotel with one not-so-minor problem”
Reviewed 6 April 2012

My wife and I stayed here on a recent trip to Israel and we would give the hotel five stars if it weren't for one problem.

The hotel and grounds are beautiful. The service was first rate. The breakfast buffer was awesome and our meals in two of the hotel dining venues were excellent. The hotel was once the home of a Turkish pasha and many of the furnishings are authentic period pieces. There is a central courtyard with a lovely garden and fountain. Having breakfast or a drink in the courtyard is a bit of heaven. Hardly less delightful is a drink sitting on a lounge chair around the swimming pool.

In sum, a lovely hotel with top-notch services. So what is the problem?

A display case in the lobby features some of the most anti-Israel books ever written--all for sale in the hotel. Granted the hotel is in not in the Jewish quarter of city. The hotel is not kosher and does not cater to a Jewish clientele. We are Jewish and at no time were made to feel unwelcome or uncomfortable--except when passing that book case with its exhaustive display of anti-Israel books.

I will give the hotel four stars and would add a fifth star if that bookcase were removed. For all that, we probably would stay here again on a future trip to Jerusalem.

Room Tip: You do want a room overlooking the garden.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Luckysdad

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
london
Reviewed 1 April 2012

Though a little taxi drive away from the old city, hotel grounds are an oasis, well maintained period feel to it. Book one of the sultan wives' rooms - these are wonderful 19th c settings.
Food is great, wine selection is perfect, staff is beyond attentive.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 31 March 2012

We were offered an upgrade when we checked into the hotel to one of the Pasha Rooms-Room 5 which was a huge ornate room on the second floor of the main building and overlooked the pool area. We never went to look at our orginal room-it was so nice. So, if you get a chance to upgraded to one of the Pasha Rooms we highly reccommend it. The whole hotel retains its late nineth century charm and made our visit special not that you really need to make a trip to Jerusalem more special, but it was a bonus. The hotel is located in the former area of East Jerusalem so it has an Arab flavor to it, but if you are comfortable with that, you will enjoy this hotel. There is a minerat close to the hotel so the call to prayer can wake you at 4:30 in the morning.

Room Tip: We highly recommend Pasha Room 5
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank happytravels18_11
Jerusalem, Israel
Reviewed 22 March 2012

If you have (a lot of) money, there is no other place to stay in Jerusalem than American Colony, the most historical, beautiful hotel in town. Nestled in an ancient Ottoman palace, the American Colony offers incredibly beautiful surroundings and a legendary setting. Its restaurant and bars are THE place to be. While King David is mainly packed with tourists, the American Colony has become a second home to foreign correspondents, international reporters and photographers, diplomats, Israeli and Palestinian politicians, artists, intellectuals... Many cultural events are organized inside the hotel and its gardens, which have maintained the flavour both of the Ottoman ear and of the British mandate. There's simply no better place to be.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank allega
milano
Reviewed 12 March 2012

This was our first trip to Jerusalem and The American Colony had been strongly recommended to me by an italian friend journalist who regularly stays there.
I must say we were not disappointed ! everyone loved it . My parents enjoyed the wonderfully relaxing garden when too tired to visit the old town round the corner. The kids were absolutely spoiled by a extremely caring staff.
And I must thank the reception for organizing cars and other minor request from my demanding family.
Food was excellent too, from breakfast to dinner.
A successful holiday !

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank valeria S
Yankton, South Dakota
Reviewed 11 March 2012

I stayed at this hotel 4 nights with my mother in January, Things started out well when we checked into this hotel. On the 3rd night however I couldn't sleep when I laid down at 12am because I heard loud clanking from the area downstairs to the point that the wall was vibrating behind the bed. I called the front desk and complained every 30 minutes and finally they found the problem was the dishwasher was smashing dishes around this late at night!

After not sleeping most the night and canceling half of my tour for the next morning for needing to sleep in I informed the front desk staff I will be checking out a day early because of this horrible experience. The woman at the front desk was extremely apologetic and informed her manager I intended to leave as she called me when I returned to the room. I also advised her why I was leaving and she also was extremely apologetic and offered to upgrade me for the evening. When I said I wasn't interested she asked me to please at least check out the room she was offering. It was indeed an amazing room and we agreed to stay in the upgraded room the last night while paying the rate for the original room we booked. She even arranged to have our bags moved for us while we started our now half day tour.

When we returned I was confronted by the man at the front desk on my way to the restaurant who informed me I needed to pay now for my incidentals. I told him I left a card when I checked in and to charge that card. He informed me the hotel mistakingly released this charge and couldn't charge it again. I informed him I will talk to the manager in the morning who I had spoke with that morning. He laughed with a Cheshire cat grin and agreed that would be fine. We then went sat to eat he and all he male waiters gathered and talked about us for our entire meal about 10 meters from our table. I know this because they glared at us most the evening, pointed several times towards the building we moved to and also talked about our taxi driver who also complained to the desk after hearing our story. It was a miserable evening and had I known this was going to happen I would have just left like I planned on doing.

I straightened out the bill when I checked out in the morning (like most hotel guests do) and was on my way. This is a very nice hotel but the male staff is lacking especially 2nd shift. If you stay don't deal with them and if you eat in the hotel ask for the female waitress. She's amazing and very friendly.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
10 Thank cxbonne
General M, General Manager at The American Colony Hotel, responded to this review, 15 March 2012
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of the American Colony Hotel on Tripadvisor. I am most grateful for your feedback, which is such a valuable source of information for me, regardless of whether it is good or bad, and helps me monitor the service we provide.

I am most concerned to read of the disturbances you experienced during your third night at the hotel. We pride ourselves on the standard of product and service we provide at The American Colony Hotel, which makes it all the more disappointing to read that we have let ourselves down on this occasion.

I am pleased to note that my Reservations Manager upgraded you from standard singles for the rest of your stay and that you had the pleasure of experiencing our newly renovated Penthouse Suites.

Further to your review, my Food and Beverage Manager and I are following up as to why there were noises coming from the kitchen area at that time and will do our best to ensure that a disturbance such as this does not happen in the future. I will also personally follow up with my department heads regarding the difficulties you encountered with the check out procedure.

Please accept my sincere apologies that on this occasion we did not meet the high standards to which we aspire and I look forward to welcoming you back in person to the American Colony in the near future, and to restore your faith in the hotel and us.

Yours sincerely,

Thomas Brugnatelli
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 6 March 2012

Nice little space of luxury and boutique hotel, excellent restaurant and hideaway bar, breakfast also very good and large spread to choose from for every taste. A little expensive but well worth the service and comfort in detail.

Room Tip: Look for the East wing, big bedrooms and bathrooms, heated bathroom floor for winters, large king si...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business