“Great location to Old City”
Review of Beit Shmuel Hostel

Beit Shmuel Hostel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Jerusalem
Beit Shmuel Hostel
Australia
“Great location to Old City”
Reviewed 14 February 2012

We stayed for 2 nights in a hotel room (which is different than the hostel). Location to old city is the best feature only 5 mins. We had a great view of the old city from our room. Room was quiet, spacious and clean with comfortable bed. Tea and coffe making and a fridge were also supplied. Front desk staff were helpful. No car parking. Breakfast buffet very basic, shared with the hostel. Cost - reasonable.

Room Tip: Hotel room with balcony that overlooks old city.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Wilkesboro, North Carolina
Reviewed 27 January 2012

This hotel is a very short walk from the Old City's Jaffa gate and even shorter to the Mamilla Mall, which offers several restuarants and many shops. It is situated between the King David Hotel and the David Citadel Hotel, which are both upscale hotels, but costs far less. It is also one block from the YMCA. Lunch at the nearby King David Hotel was convenient and very pleasant.

Cleanliness was poor. Dust deposited on the floor remained untouched after several days and a bathtub stopper coated with mold was ignored even when placed where it was obvious to the cleaning person. Towels were changed every day, however.

Events, including concerts in the auditorium located in the same building, meant that noise was a problem for those who wish to retire early. However, the noise generally abated by about 11 p.m. Some rooms have a view only of the interior courtyard, but mine had a balcony with a view of the Old City's wall.

Only a single hair dryer was available for guests. Free wi-fi is provided. There is a very small cafe with sandwiches and drinks located on the premises.

Most of the front desk personnel was helpful, but one person was not at all helpful.

This might be a good choice if you need a location within walking distance of the Old City, you are on a tight budget, and you can tolerate the shortcomings.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a view of the Old City.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 15 August 2011

Make no mistake, it is a dormitory/hostel and they put as much attention into it as that. The general appearance of the public areas need a good scrub. The walls, baseboards, backs of chairs, table clothes are all dirty. But if you need a " dirt" cheap accommodation close to the old city, this is it

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank spinach

Travellers are raving about these Jerusalem hotels

West Orange, New Jersey
Reviewed 15 July 2011

I went as part of a teacher "kivunim" program. I found the place totally filthy. Mold and mildew - disgusting. Do not attend the program and do not stay in this "joint."

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank teachergoddess
Port Townsend, Washington
Reviewed 3 June 2011

When we arrived, they said they had to cancel our reservation because we didn't respond to requests to verify. Well, there was no email from them -- not even in the spam folder. I had a printed confirmation with no indication that anything was needed other than to show up. This all turned into a huge shouting match that would have impressed a New Yorker. Eventually, we got our room.

The room faced a communal seating area and several people from some gathering talked late into the night. A youth group party was going on outside late into the night. It was obvious that this hotel caters to visiting groups and if I was a member of a visiting group, this hotel would be okay. And the internet was fast and free.

There was no way we could stay there beyond the first night. We moved to the Eldan a block away the next morning. (Passing up what looked like a pretty sad breakfast but did have to go through another round of yelling at the front desk.)

My advice -- go the Eldan, we had a room facing the street and heard no noise and the breakfast was amazing.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Henry F
Los Angeles
Reviewed 5 September 2010

This was the most disgusting dirtiest place I've ever had the displeasure of staying in. When I went to take a shower, there was someone else's hair on the wall. The only thing that didn't make me run for the hills was the fact that I didn't see any cockroaches. Also, the location seemed like it would be ideal, but it was confusing and hard to get to. The staff was unfriendly. They were unable to help with currency. They did not help with bags (not that they are required to, but it would have been nice). When I asked if I could extend my room for ONE hour, I was told no. It didn't appear as though they were in a hurry to clean it or anything since it was so filthy in the first place, so I didn't understand that. Also, when I asked them not to come into my room and clean, they did anyway. The internet that they claimed worked did not allow me to send out email so the only way I could communicate with people with through facebook, which appeared to be the only web page that actually worked. This was the worst hostel I've ever stayed in. They could not have paid ME to stay there! So disgusting!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
4 Thank fiftyonepercent
New York City, New York
Reviewed 7 May 2010

I couldn't believe my eyes when I mapped Beit Shmuel's location and saw the prices on their website. Could it be - no-frills hotel/hostel with good reviews right next to the 5* King David Hotel under 100 bucks with breakfast? Yep. Having stayed in a few hotels in Jerusalem, this is by far the best value I have found. The location simply could not be better. It is right smack in the middle of the center, a short walk to both the Old City and Yafo Street, where the nightlife is.

To label the Bet Shmuel as a "hostel" would not be correct as it does not have dorms. What they have are rooms with up to 5 single beds. They will not book strangers to the same room even if there is space. The rooms also have balconies looking out onto Mamilla Mall and the gates of the Old City. They're also surprisingly clean. And again, for less than a Benjamin.

The front desk staff is helpful and courteous and there is even a security guard at the front door. Anyone entering the hotel has to show his room key. The computer downstairs charges a hefty sum for internet access but there is an internet cafe a 10-minute walk away on Yafo. Rooms come with breakfast, which while not spectacular, is better than nothing.

One thing to note - this hotel is booked by a lot of younger tour groups (teenagers, etc) since they can squeeze 5 Americans in 1 room. I was expecting a sleepless night filled with drunk teens knocking on my door. But no such thing happened. They only got loud during the day. At night, the hotel is quiet.

I highly recommend this hotel... I have been to many countries and stayed in some cool hostels but this one takes the cake for its location, price and cleanliness.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo