“A friendly hotel in the center of Jerusalem”
Review of Shani Hotel

Shani Hotel
Ranked #69 of 101 Hotels in Jerusalem
Reviewed 2 May 2017

The rooms are nicely decorated, the staff friendly and helpful. Everything is nice, however the breakfast is the best. The choice of salads, fruits, fish, baked goods, jams, egg dishes fresh bread and Halva are magnificent. You can have espresso, and fresh juice too. I never had such a nice breakfast display anywhere.

Stayed: January 2017
Hotel S, reception at Shani Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2017

Dear Ilania,
Thank you very much for your review. It pleases us to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel. There is nothing better than reading such great reviews. We hope to see you again at our hotel.
Shani Hotel team.

Reviewed 21 April 2017 via mobile

Filthy, run-down hotel, covered in dirt all over. Rooms seriously outdated and worn. Cleaning of the hotel was random. Due to passover no real breakfast offered for non religious either. Suite reserved was downgraded to family room. Parts of the hotel are refurbished and exposed on pictures at Booking.com, the rest does not correspond to the image projected in any ways. Noisy pub just under your window. Room amenities need to be requested, otherwise forgotten. Prices are highly unreasonable for what it is. Huge disappointment!

Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank Olivér V
Hotel S, receptionist at Shani Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2017

Dear Oliver,
Thank you for your review about our hotel. We are very sorry to hear you had such an unpleasant stay. It is a pleasure to announce that we will be implementing many of these upgrades to the property within the next couple of months. Our rooms will be getting new mattresses, bed skirts, window treatments, carpeting, in-room accessories, and much more!
It would be great if you decide to give our hotel another chance one day, we will make sure to give you the best we can.
Shani Hotel team

Reviewed 21 April 2017

I had a 4th floor corner "family" room. The room was very large with a table and sofa (I assume a pullout bed), clean, bed was comfortable; the only criticisms of the condition of the room are that a large crack in the vanity was clumsily repaired with caulk (but that made no difference in function at all) and the carpet was rather worn and damaged but not dirty. About what one could reasonably expect for the price range!

The location of the hotel is excellent, an easy walk to the Mahane Yehuda market and to the Jaffa Gate.

The staff also were excellent, friendly and helpful. The front desk arranged 2 day tours, even packed a box breakfast for me on an early departure day.

The breakfasts were delicious! Such a variety of cheese, yoghurt, fish, fruits, breads/pastries, even eggs cooked to order. In the evening, there was set out a light meal (small sandwiches or very tasty soup the nights I was there) and bowls of fruit always available.

I had a 4th floor corner "family" room. The room was very large with a table and sofa ( assume a pullout bed), clean, bed was comfortable; the only criticisms of the condition of the room are that a large crack in the vanity was clumsily repaired with caulk (but that made no difference in function at all) and the carpet was rather worn and damaged but not dirty. About what one could reasonably expect for the price range!

The HUGE problem was the noise level. This corner room had many windows, faced a pub and a street, and allowed every bit of street noise in the room. I could even hear people talking in the street 4 stories below -- so you can imagine what it was like with the band playing (sounded like it was outdoors) for hours, people partying, then at 4am the large trash trucks come through; on top of that people in the next room didn't care that fellow guests might be sleeping at 2AM So, I got very little sleep my two nights there -- I live one block from a busy freight rail line, and under the approach to a commuter airport, so I am accustomed to tuning out noise; but this was extraordinary. They need to invest in sound blocking shades for the windows. A shame since otherwise I would rate this as an excellent value hotel.

Room Tip: Do not reserve any room facing the pub (Darom St) or Shamai St.
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank nishiki
Reviewed 19 April 2017

We stayed at the Shani hotel last weekend.
We were amazed by every detail of our stay:
- the staff was friendly helpful and surprised us by upgrading our rooms
- the rooms are very big, comfortable and cozy
- the breakfast was very good and had a variety of different foods to offer
- the location is just perfect: 12 minutes walk from the Old City and just 5-minute walk from Mamila.
- a variety of restaurants and pubs opened.

We will definitely come back.
Thank the Shani Hotel Staff for their hospitality and a perfect getaway for us.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 April 2017

My first visit to Israel from the UK and I had an amazing stay in East Jerusalem over the Easter period (and Passover). I stayed at the Shani Hotel on the first floor and found it comfortable and spacious. My bed was large and comfortable with lots of good pillows and a good mattress with nice clean white linen and scatter cushions. I also had two arm chairs and a flat screen TV, although there are only News channels available in English (other channels are either music/news/drama channel in German). A bath tub and shower in a nice and spacious bathroom. It is a boutique hotel and contemporary in design. My journey was made extra special by all the kind efforts made by Rabi (manager), Samur and other staff. I was really pleased to be able to talk via email with Rabi before my stay and ask any questions - he came into the hotel to meet me during his time off work which I very much appreciated. I was met with the warmest welcome throughout my stay by a very helpful team of happy people. I chose to book my cab return trip from Tel Aviv, Ben Gurion Airport via The Shani at 75 US Dollars each way. I had a great driver Mike, who looked after me and arrived on time with a taxi marked car. Rabi ensured he had communicated at all points of booking and at arrival at the airport. I pre booked some bottled water which was organised to be in my room on arrival and I was upgraded to a suite which was a pleasent surprise. Breakfast was plentiful during passover (I had expected it to be less) and there are plenty of eateries near the hotel literally minutes away for evening meals - open during Passover and Shabbat. The hotel is situated a short walk away from shops and the Jaffa Road. It is safe and pleasent to walk to and around - but obviously you need to observe own safety as you would do in any country. I walked from the hotel to the Jaffa Gate to gain entry into the old city and is about a 20-30 minute walk from the hotel. Recommendations: (1) from time to time it can get quite noisy outside the hotel at night time, so bring some ear plugs if you are sensitive to noise. I am but managed okay (2) there are local shops nearby to purchase snacks and water, if you need to (3) Berta is a local non-Kosher restaurant minutes from the Shani and the staff are very pleasent, as is the restaurant itself (4) Israel can be expensive so budget for own food / drinks etc. (5) Ask The Shani to book any pick ups and returns to the airport as better than a shuttle service or travelling by light rail from a time perspective. It is a 50 minute drive to Jerusalem in a private cab (6) If you have any queries or requests whatsoever just ask the team and they will do their best to meet your requirements. Overall a very pleasent stay - highly recommend.

Room Tip: Before arrival ask reception if you have particular requirements eg for a quiet room and they will d...
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 April 2017

The hotel is a comfortable and nice place to stay. However, the cleaning staff in the rooms does not do too much. Many times I had to clean my bathroom myself. I personally feel that good hygiene in a tourist area is what we look for. The staff is very friendly and helpful, so many times I over looked the cleaning issue.

The only complain that never sat well with me was Rabbi being abusive to the staff members. One staff member was hit by the Rabbi and that was hard to watch as a guest at this hotel. Better measures should be taken on how the employees are treated and being physical is not okay.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank littlebabi
Reviewed 14 April 2017 via mobile

Good enough hotel. Convenient for Jerusalem. Friendly and helpful staff. Bit run down rooms, not quite like the photos, but the breakfast more than made up for it. Visited during Pesa, which thought us a few things about Israel, like the non stop cycle for the elevator made so no one should have to press buttons during Pesa. Bit inconvenient but respect the local culture. No problem coming back here!

Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family