“Good food, location and atmosphere ”
Review of Kampai

Kampai
Ranked #17 of 811 Restaurants in Riyadh
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed August 10, 2017 via mobile

Our monthly girly dinner led us to Kampai.

We dine early, we're Western, so our table was at 6pm. It was as a bit of a rush order in the end as they told us they shut for prayer. So we ended up getting our starters and mains pretty much all at once which wasn't great.

That aside the food was very good.

The miso soup was very tasty and the portion was huge! The edamame was hot and fresh and the vegetable noodle stir fry was very tasty and a good portion size.

2 friends had the sushi and said that it was very good and the portion sizes were ok for the price.

Next time I'll order differently, soup and a starter then after prayer some main dishes.

Would recommend and definitely go back.

PS: please stop using plastic straws! They are so bad for the environment..

1  Thank Johann T

Reviewed August 4, 2017 via mobile

First time for me at Kampai and I was pretty impressed. Mixed guests as we were meeting friends and I was there with my wife and two young kids.
Menu was very extensive and all in all very tasty.
Staff were attentive and also good with our eldest who at 2 years old isn't the easiest to keep entertained.
We overdosed on the Starters but it was well worth it. Like I said so much to choose from that it would take several visits to work your way through the menu.
I'm not a Sushi conisour but today I was very impressed and would recommend to give it a try.

1  Thank Rob M
Reviewed July 21, 2017

Kanpai! (literally "dry cup"),sometimes transcribed Kampai!,is the Japanese word for "Cheers!" in a drinking toast.And cheers is mandatory in Japan.It's rude to start drinking before everyone has said cheers.In the old days,cheers was done with small cups of sake-dry cup essentially means "bottoms up",or "drink it all".These days,cheers is more often done with beer.Kampai no longer implies that you need to finish your glass.Ironically,spirits are not allowed in the Arabian Peninsula.So let's take the word in another context like:Kampai!(Cheers!) to a mouthwatering event or a unique dining savoir-faire.
Kampai's ambiance is as impressive as the food.Neutral colors such as the natural earth tones were used effectively.The restaurant has established the foundation for an understated elegance,cool attitude & minimalist palette - a TONE on TONE.Having used stainless steel in mirror finish at the bulkhead of a simple sushi bar,they didn't overlook the power of metal.It balances the warm effect of wood & expands the space together with mirror inserts on the wall.It was likely wood was predominantly used as wall treatment as well as in loose furniture.The illuminated citron onyx stone on its feature wall & sushi bar counter is a breaker.It provides the place a silky luster look.Sometimes your most powerful color statement may actually be lack of color.Food then becomes the centerpiece of the whole eating environment.In fact,it owns the most inviting palette of all--that's Kampai's Design Recipe.It's a Japanese Restaurant in a modish setting.
There is a veritable plethora of first-rate dishes out there to try.They have an array of cold dishes & hot dishes as well albeit the prices are exclusive.Our soup was straightforward,hot & full-flavored--the Miso soup.The marinated mixed seaweed salad & its crusty cold noodles was a towering creation.They have a medley of Maki which I favored and the way they were carried out is stimulating.I chose what allured my sense of sight and their taste didn't fail me.They came in clear-cut platter.We opted out the sashimi as we want more sushi.Kampai Teriyaki Chicken is OK;the grilled chicken blended well with the husky sauce.The Zukury Salmon justifies its name in the menu list--A Special Treat.And who can refrain from having the dimsum?The chicken dumplings with gyoza sauce are delish.As we had already taken in lots of energy source,we decided to leave the soba & udon noodles in the backstage.But of course,the finale would always be sweet--the twin act of Mochi & Ice Cream Maki.
Eating out is as much about the experience as the food.Kampai! to an exciting venture . . . Kampai! to fine food.

1  Thank jeremiah0713
Reviewed July 11, 2017

I have been there on three different occasions (not by my own choice... basically forced to go). the food were a generic copies of different restaurants and fads that were in at the moment, the disappointing dynamite shrimp to give a good example. it felt more life a chain restaurant than an actual legitimate contender in the asian fusion market.

Reviewed May 20, 2017

Excellent food, good helpings, discrete service until prayer time then the service fell! Lovely atmosphere and nice decor. Well worth a visit, if not cheap. Deserts not to the standard of main courses.