“Great place for a weekend break”
Review of Elite Grande

Elite Grande
Ranked #26 of 132 Hotels in Manama
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
“Great place for a weekend break”
Reviewed 21 January 2012

I stayed at the Elite Grande for 3 nights on a visit from Dubai to meet up with a friend. I booked a twin room and this also comes with a lounge and kitchen area. On arrival I was told I had a king bed but had to insist on my original booking of a twin room and was a bit annoyed about this as I had stipulated the need for a twin over the phone when I booked. Having said that the guy on reception quickly sorted it out and within 15 mins I was in the room. I was very impressed, it was very clean, very modern and to my surprise not only was there an en-suite but also a cloakroom (additional toilet and sink) off the living area.

Everything seemed pretty new to me and I also found the place extremely quiet despite other comments to the contrary - yes there were building works right next door but for some reason nothing was happening on those. My only gripe about the bedroom was the pillows - as previously mentioned they were extremely lumpy and uncomfortable and required a bit of pummelling to get them into shape - 2 pillows per bed would have been nice instead of one lumpy one.

My friend and I ate at the lobby restaurant one evening - the food was pretty good (I had lamb chops and got 7!!) We used a voucher from the Bahrain Entertainer so it worked out very cheap. The only criticism is - no atmosphere at all - no background music, no subdued lighting etc. Breakfast was also served here every morning and it wasn't bad - a buffet. The staff were very friendly and helpful.

We also spent each evening having nightcaps in the bar upstairs (can't remember its name) and were very impressed - good atmosphere not a bad view (over the mall) and a good range of cocktails too.

Overall I would say I would stay here again as it was within walking distance (albeit over sand and stones) to City Centre Mall and Seef Mall which is just what we needed for a girls weekend.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank moda123

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Arabic first
Potters Bar, Herts
Reviewed 1 January 2012

Stayed at Elite Grande for seven nights on business in November 2011. The hotel is ‘tired’ and I think in need of modernisation. The rooms are actually apartments with full kitchen facilities - handy for making yourself a hot drink. Other than that I just used the bedroom and bathroom. I had a non-smoking room on 3rd floor and had problems with the shower. It actually took almost 10 minutes for hot water to reach the taps / shower in the bathroom. They did not tell me this at reception so 1st night I did not shower as I assumed water was simply cold (I hate to waste water and running a shower for 10 minutes was very difficult for me).
The staff were friendly and the pool area ok.
Food was good. The gym is good. Bar on top floor very very smoky! I had food in there and it was good.
Down side - the Elite Grande is very close to one of the main shopping malls with plenty of restaurants, cinemas and shops. If there were no construction works you could simply cross the road and be in the mall in 5 minutes. unfortunately the hotel is in the middle of a construction site and you have to walk through this to get to the mall - the time is only 10 minutes but there is no light or footpath and you are hidden from the road. During daylight it is acceptable, but at night it is not possible. The staff told me it was quite safe to walk in the dark, but as a lone female this did not feel safe and so was not an option for me. Also, to take a taxi to and from the mall can become very expensive as the taxi’s cannot simply cross the road.
The pillows in the hotel are singularly the most uncomfortable I have ever slept on. Advise you either bring your own or a flight neck pillow.

Final opinion - A nice enough hotel but needs modernising. If you are not driving you will be quite isolated.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank gaz8867
Cairo, Egypt
Reviewed 16 October 2011

I stayed in this hotel around 4 days during business trip, the hotel has many advantages, My room had plenty of space more like apartment than a room. The facilities in the room as more than enough, the atmosphere is very calm, and the location is very neat to City Center mall, one of the major rooms in Manamah.
The TV selection was really great and satisfactory, and the health club was efficient for my needs.
One drawback is the difficulty of getting quick transportation, and the construction sites around the hotel.
Surely I’ll consider this hotel during my next visit to Bahrain.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 23 May 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Elite Grande for a few months this past winter, and I must say that it's a fairly decent hotel. The hotel consists of 1, 2, or 3 bedroom apartments, and we were in a 3 bedroom. We were staying there long term, so the kitchen was nice, although the appliances are older and we had issues getting a lot of them to work. The decor and furniture is decent, and the pool area and workout room were other areas we enjoyed.

Pros:
Everything stated above, as well as excellent, prompt room service staff. The front desk reception was nice as well, and everyone we came into contact with was helpful. The hotel is in a good location and within walking distance to City Center hotel that has ample restaurants and shops.

Cons:
The laundromat on the top floor is a nightmare. Half of the machines don't work all of the time, and those that do don't work properly (only shooting out boiling hot water when on the cold setting, dryers taking 3 hours to dry one small load of clothes). Parking was also disastrous and a big pain on the weekends. There is a lot of construction in the area, but you would think they'd at least be able to come up with a better parking system. Also, for the amount we paid for the hotel, I was surprised that there was no free Internet. The Internet you paid for in the room was attached with short cord, so you were confined to a small, uncomfortable desk unless you (they say this isn't allowed, but it works) buy your own wireless modem and hook it up. This was beneficial for us since we lived in the hotel for 3 months. There are also a lot of kids running up and down the halls on the weekends that aren't really controlled by their parents, but that isn't the hotels faults. There is construction going on outside the hotel (this will be a problem for years to come, as they are building an enormous highrise and have been working on it for the past 2 years) so use a noisemaker if you want to sleep past 5:30 AM when they start working.

Overall, it's a decent hotel in a good location.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rmag8205
Mumbai
Reviewed 13 January 2011

First and foremost these are aprtments, not Hotel rooms....
It was a good stay, The room was clean, I stayed in an One bedroom apartment.
Laundromat service is a BIG plus for long stays... Service was good and although the kitchen was missing basic things like Plate, forks, Bowl,Knife etc. The service boys would get them for you if needed... Internet is TOO expensive...

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
Kampala, Uganda
Reviewed 27 December 2010

walking distance to citicenter.
very modern and spacious apartments

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
Manama, Bahrain
Reviewed 27 September 2010

Its a great hotel. The rooms are amazing and comfortable. The service was wonderful from the moment i stepped in. It has great facilities and their bar & lounge- The Zodiac, is beautiful. The breakfast is so good. there is such a wide variety to choose from.The best part is that there is 24hrs room service..Its location is also a bonus as it is close to some of the major shopping malls and the airport..its a great place!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo