“Good experience” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #49 of 69 Hotels in Kuwait City
Beirut, Lebanon
“Good experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

Well this is a good place to be in Kuwait
Location is good, close to the city center but not in the traffic area. Very calm location
Service is not the best service i ever had. Could be improved a lot but nothing major to mention.
They only have suites and that might cause a problem. I was on a business trip with a colleague of mine, so we booked one suite with two rooms, but the issue is that there is only one toilette...
Internet is free, cable in the room. They will provide a router to have wireless in the room.
The swimming pools are both outdoor, one heated and one normal. Good, nice and calm.
The gym is the biggest and the best equipped gym i have ever seen. Mainly fitness machines, like elliptical, treadmills, steps...
I read before that next to it there is some construction works that prevent sleeping. didn't feel any of that.
The Air conditioner in the suite is very noisy, but it can be turned off.
breakfast buffet is small, but have all the basic ingredients. it has access to the beach.
The two things that i loved most about this hotel are the location and the presence of a Starbucks just next to the lobby. great place to have a good coffee, good music, read and relax.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Wassim S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Kuwait City, Kuwait
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

Bad Bad Bad hotel I ever stayed in. I stayed in one bedroom suite.
Rooms are very dirty and the bathroom was turrible. every thing in the room was very old and broken. staff was unhelpful and very uncooperative. It was the worst night ever.

Room Tip: avoid staying in this hotel
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Farah83

Travellers are raving about these Kuwait City hotels

Cairo, Egypt
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2012

I think the hotel should be avoided because of the construction site surrounding the hotel from both sides!! before I traveled I read a couple of reviews saying the same thing about noise but I thought maybe they are just too sensitive to noise, but they were absolutely right!!!!
You will hear the noise from all rooms but one side will be nosier than the other side, I had to change the room three times because I couldn't bare the sound! To be honest the receptionists were very helpful and made sure that I am happy with their very limited options.
The rooms are spacious (as big as a medium sized apartment in European measures) but very poorly furnished in terms of taste and quality! Everything is very old and annoying in the room, specially the AC, it is very loud and noisy and you can't turn it off. No wireless in the rooms you have to be connected through a wire and stuck in one place only. Since it was so cold I haven't used the SPA or the pool but the health club looked interesting and very well equipped. I think it would be better for a summer stay and definitely not for business trips.
Breakfast was OK, nothing interesting.
Personally, I didn't like it that much and I wouldn't go there again.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2012

Very noizy hotel no sound proof and it is near by construction place
construction work starts at 3 AM!
We could'nt sleep all night
when complaining, the staff was so ignorant
you hear all types of sounds all nigh; jack hummer, indian labor shouting and knoking sounds from nabours

• Stayed January 2012
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2011

I booked teo bedroom suite, it has only one bath room.
This is only hotel i see like that.

It's so bad that 4 persons have use one toilet.

• Stayed November 2011
1 Thank Geologist13
Kuwait City, Kuwait
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2011

My experience with The Palms 'Resort' have been diabolical to say the least. From the staff through to the senior management and not withstanding the infrastructure they attempt to call 'facilities.' If you don't mind illness through unhygenic premises, indifferent staff, or beligerrent management, then this may very well be your oasis in hell.

This account stems from my family's involvement with the establishment in our search for a family membership at a health spa - health club - resort. Kuwait has many resorts available for membership, therein creating a very competitive market. One would assume that these resorts/clubs would do everything in their power to attract their clientele and maintain the relationships with the membership holders. In most cases this is true, but in my experience this assumption couldn't be further from that.

As with all my reviews, I must stress that this review does not reflect the hotel specific services regarding rooms and/or travel short stay. This review only encompasses the 'health club' facilities and the services on hand at the fitness centre and poolside recreational infrastructure. That being said, even if your room is nice, I would urge you to be aware of the strong potential for facility shortfalls...

I joined the club with my family in late June 2011. We had narrowed our choice of membership to The Palms Beach Hotel & Spa and the Al-Corniche resort. If only we had made the transition to the Al-Corniche sooner rather than later...

The sequence of events within the first 4 days were as follows:

I sustained injuries to my back and chest whilst using some of the fitness equipment. The first was when the treadmill I was using unexpectedly spead up with such force, that I was thrust into a cross-trainer, therein sustaining an injury to my back. The second was the following day, when a different treadmill suddenly stopped, thus propelling me into the control unit and causing injury to my chest. I highlighted both malfunctions immediately, whereby the first time around I was assured that all necessary measures would be taken in order to fix the malfunctioning fitness equipment. On the second occasion, the fitness staff laughed and told me that they received such complaints on a regular basis, but that the management had very little if any interest in actually fixing the equipment. I was shocked to hear that they were obliged to offer the mandatory reassurances, but that I shouldn't expect to see any changes any time soon. It came as no surprise that the staff fealt very little alegiance to the management. Especially if the general lack of staff morale was anything to go by...

Further to the gym equipment malfunctions, the pool was absolutely vile. There was an evident green slimy residue. The most telling state of hygene neglect was when I found myself swimming next to a rather large lump of what appeared to be human fecal matter. To add insult to injury, I was only in the pool, because we were advised (after paying for our membership) that swimming in the sea water was unadvisable due to the constant flow of sewage next to the resort. The chief life guard on duty found it rather amusing and laughed at my suggestion to empty the pool in an attempt to sanitise the pool area. No further action was taken other than the life guard instructing a member of the cleaning staff to dispose of said fecal matter by using a dust pan.

I decided that I would try and use the allocated discounts at the PADI diving centre (as promised by the membership registration team). I was therefore surprised to be told by the PADI dive centre that there was no such deal made available to anyone. The only discount was at the later stages of acreditation. Namely 10% made available to all customers, irrespective of membership to the resort or as casual visitors to the centre. The last straw was when my wife found out that the Yoga instructor was on holiday for 3 months. One of the main reasons we joined the club, was for the diving centre discounts and for the yoga classes. Both of which turned out to be a dud selling point. I am certain we would have chosen to get a membership elsewhere had the staff been more candid in their statements of benefit in membership.

The decision was made after only 4 days at the resort to leave. Without going into too much detail, the departure was emotionally taxing for my wife and daughter, and extremely stressful for me. I won't go into too much detail, however the opening line of about the 3rd attempt at reaching a compromise with the management through written correspondence was:

"Clearly the courtesy I have shown The Palms Beach Club has gone unnoticed. If anything, I am going to assume that you have taken my patience for granted."

After the use of some Kuwaiti assistance through mediation and 'persuation' we managed to get our refund, albeit without any apology from the resort. To be honest, I was just happy to move on.

In short, if you are looking for a resort, which will cater to your needs and honour its end of an agreement, then perhaps this is not the one for you. It certainly wasn't for me. Happy hunting...

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Ram P
Dubrovnik, Croatia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2011

Personalized service with attention to details, you may finish your business during the day and rest by the pool in the afternoon, and enjoy a wonderful seafood dinner in Al Muhallab Restaurant just overlooking the sea water. I truly enjoyed my stay at The Palms, and I recommend this hotel to everyone seeks value for money hotel in Kuwait

Room Tip: Choose the upper floors rooms for more privacy and away from the ground floor noise
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple