“Avoid” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #65 of 140 Hotels in Doha
Llandudno, United Kingdom
“Avoid”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2012

Right next door to a mosque that broadcasts the usual noise at 4-15 am & every half hour till breakfast. Pool loungers very dirty No umbrellas. Pool cloudy.
Rooms very nice. Prices fair. Bar full of business men smoking. No good for couples.
Area outside awful - rubble & derelict flats etc. £ miles from Tourist area.
Doha is a poor imitation of DUBAI. Nothing much for tourist

Room Tip: Avoid rooms on mosque side
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank GRIPES
GMSBDH, General Manager at Swiss-Belhotel Doha, responded to this review, 5 February 2012
Dear Valuable Guest,

Thank you for sharing with us your experience and for enjoying our rooms and rates. We are sorry to hear that the room that was blocked for you was one on the side of the mosque, which is usually given to guests of the Muslim faith when we have enough rooms to sell.

Our swimming pool is cleaned twice a week, although we had sandstorms at the time of your visit. While we do not have umbrellas, there is a shaded section with lounge chairs by the pool. We apologize for the smoking policy of the bar; we currently have a non-smoking area at the restaurant only.

The road outside the hotel tower is newly paved, and our location is walking distance to popular tourist attractions such as Souq Waqif, Museum of Islamic Art, and the corniche, where one can take a sunset cruise aboard traditional Qatari dhows.

I hope to welcome you again. Until then, I remain,

Swiss-Belhotel Doha

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Kyoto, Japan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2012

I stayed from Dec 9th to 12th and chose "Business Traveller" terms to be the followings acc to the homepage at booking;
- Buffet breakfast
- Return airport transfers
- Guaranteed upgrade to next room category for stays over 4 ninghts
- Guranteed early check-in from 10:00am
- Unlimited broadband internet access in room
- Laundering and pressing of two garments per stay

Verification each.
1) Yes: Breakfast included naturally, quality avarage.
2) No: They forced and charged 45QR for "Return airport transfer". Through under door they gave a denial letter for "Late check-out" due to double booking etc. "Laundering and pressing" was rejected as I asked reception staff to check the term twice.
3) Unclear: I dont know whether my room was upgraded actually, didnt need early check-in, had no mobile pc.

You had better to take Airport taxi instead of asking Hotel limo(incidentally their said limo is toyota corolla), not worth paying QR50. Since I was unable to find a driver at DOH exit, I called. After that they sent a taxi, so I had to wait the limo 20minutes just for 10minutes drive, though I double checked my limo reservation 6 hours before my arrival. (fyi: i heard there is no staff in swissbell booth usually at the airport exit, useless...)

Many of the staffs, especially women, were reluctantly doing their job from check-in to out, bell boys were polite though.

Sorry for Swiss-bell fan.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
GMSBDH, General Manager at Swiss-Belhotel Doha, responded to this review, 3 February 2012
Dear Mr. Kitami,

Thank you for sharing with us your experience at Swiss-BelHotel Doha.

I sincerely apologize for the mix-up; admittedly, we had confused the Business Traveler package with the Weekend Getaway package. We are now processing the rebate of the fees you paid for transport, and there was no charge at all for your late check-out at 5AM. Again I apologize for the inconvenience.

When our occupancy runs high and we are at the risk of overbooking, we send a “departure letter” to our in-house guests informing them of this so that if they wish to extend their stay, they can inform Front Office who will in turn check for the availability of the room. We prioritize the extension of our in house guests before taking new reservations.

We are about to enhance our airport counter with an additional clerk in order to cover eighteen hours daily.

Know that your review is well-noted and we assure you of better service on your next visit.

Swiss-Belhotel Doha

Travellers are raving about these Doha hotels

Kuwait
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2012

We stayed there for a business trip for 20 nights in a two room apartment. Room service and housekeeping was poor. I didn't like it at all. However, the location is great as it is very close from Suq Waqef and the Museum of Islamic Art on the Cornish.

1 Thank Nour-Kotob
GMSBDH, General Manager at Swiss-Belhotel Doha, responded to this review, 25 January 2012
Dear Valuable Guest,

We thank you for taking the time to share with us your experience. We are glad that you enjoyed our proximity to two of Doha’s most popular attractions.

We apologize that you were not informed by our staff that cleaning services are provided in the residence tower only twice a week as per the contract, which is the standard for apartments in Doha. Rest assured that your comments will be taken up with the concerned teams in order for us to serve you better. We look forward to welcoming you again.

Doha, Qatar
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2011

This hotel has very spacious rooms and it's definitely affordable (compared to other Doha Hotels which ranges from 1500 QR to 2000 QR/night).. It's fully equipped with gym and swimming pool and the hotel rate of 600-700 QR/night includes breakfast for two and free wifi..Service is not quite prompt, but it's ok.. Location is perfect for shoppers too, you can practically walk to Souq Waqif and it's just beside the Gold Souq.

Room Tip: Airport pick-up and drop-offs have service charge. Doha Airport isn't that far, better take a ca...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Macy K
GMSBDH, General Manager at Swiss-Belhotel Doha, responded to this review, 7 January 2012
Dear Valuable Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Swiss-Belhotel Doha and sharing with us your experience. Our location is indeed very friendly to leisure travelers and businessmen alike, and giving you value for money matters to us.

It is true that cabs or “karwas” charge less than hotel limousine services. However, these karwas are hard to come by. Thus, sometimes it is more convenient to have options from the hotel.

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our facilities, and cordially look forward to welcoming you again.

Cheltenham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2011

The bedroom was very spacious and the bed large & comfortable, however the room service was not good as they frequently did not answer the phone. The buffet breakfast was almost inedible and without much choice (this is a 4 star establishment). The hot food tended to be lukewarm and overcooked, eg a Spanish omelette that had dried onto the hot buffet pan and the baked beans were mainly a thin tomato sauce where one had to trawl around with the serving spoon to find an occasional bean lurking at the bottom. After two breakfasts I did without for the rest of my stay.
However, the final straw occurred when a metal ceiling tile in the bathroom suspended ceiling fell out and struck my wife when she entered the bathroom for her shower on the morning of our departure. This was a half tile cut to fit at the edge of the room just above the doorway, and consequently had a sharp edge. Fortunately, my wife was uninjured.
However, when I looked in more detail at this ceiling it was plain to see that some of the other tiles were loose in that they had an edge or a corner hanging down indicating that they had become partially unclipped from their fixing (or the original fixing had been badly carried out).
I reported this to the customer relations manager and a hotel maintenance engineer arrived at the room to inspect the ceiling. I pointed out the fallen tile and also the other "unsafe" tiles that I had counted (6 or 7 in total), and he went away, presumably to get the ceiling made good before the next guest arrived.
Shortly after this, the Duty Manager rang our room and said that he had called the Police to inspect the room and decide "who was responsible for the damage!!!". It appeared that he was accusing us of damaging the ceiling and when I invited him to come and see for himself, he refused point blank.
I told him that we had already paid our bill and we would need to leave for the airport as our plane was due to leave at 1250 and when we reached the lobby we found that he had instructed his Security Staff to prevent us from leaving!!!!.
The front office staff & the security staff were very embarrassed by his actions and he had gone off to his office and refused to speak to us.
Fortunately, we have long standing Qatari business associates in Doha and they managed to sort out the hotel and get us released from the hotel custody!!! in barely enough time for us to catch our plane, which we managed by the skin of our teeth!!!.
However, I do wonder what might have happened to some other innocent person without good contacts in Doha.
There are plenty of excellent hotels in Doha, without taking the risk of using this one.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel.
4 Thank JamesAT39
Poland, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2011

located very close to souq waqif and Doha port. Rooms are extremely big- got 4rooms there and all has been bigger than 45square meter(room only)+big bathroom and hall. Clean and very well equiped. What important prices was very reasonable and acceptable. Good restaurant, swimming pool and gym belongs to this hotel. Absolutely recommend to everybody.

Room Tip: avoid rooms close to elevator.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank karaluchens
Dear Valuable Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Swiss-Belhotel Doha and taking the time to write a review. We do have some of the biggest hotel rooms in Doha, and we are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay.

We cordially look forward to welcoming you again.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2011

I liked this hotel owing to its spacious rooms and reasonable price including free Wi-Fi. In fact I have been using this hotel quite often. However, since of late things seem to be going awry. I have been constantly telling them that I am still operating on the temporary Voila card and have had no formal acknowledgement of my membership. I finally resigned to the fact that none of the membership benefits promised would be forthcoming. I still continued to use the hotel. The one before the last time I stayed, I informed them that they need to improve their housekeeping act. The room was not cleaned all day while I was out and once I got back, I get a telephone call from housekeeping asking me if they could come and clean the room - this was after 5.00pm. Overall, I have been noticing that the cleanliness of the rooms and particularly of the bathrooms have been going down. The last time I stayed, I hurriedly checked in to the room and returned late after a long day. There was a strong urine like smell. It was unbearable. It was then that I noticed how dirty the room actually was. The carpets were all stained and tacky. It was around 11.00pm. I called housekeeping but after 30 minutes as no one had yet come, I called the duty manager who came in promptly. He profusely apologised and promised an immediate change of room with a complimentary upgrade which I never asked for. I accepted his apology. The room change did happen but no upgrade!. I didn't mind this, as all I wanted was to get a good night's sleep. The straw that broke the camel's back was when I was charged an extra QAR 80 something for each day of my stay. This was shown as a some sort of a surcharge in the bill and would have almost gone unnoticed. On enquiring what it was, I was told that it was some sort of a tax. On further enquiry, they admitted that they had charged me an additional half day for an express check in. As I checked in around 12.00 noon, I did not see why they should have charged me. My PA had requested that they check me in fast as I had an early afternoon meeting. Their 'fast' check-in took a good 15 minutes. Even if they had wanted to charge for an extra half day, they should have shown it clearly without trying to distribute it among the 3 or 4 days I stayed, trying to make it look like something usual. I kept my cool, not wanting to crate a scene. So the Manager never showed up to explain what had happened but I was told that he had asked to reverse the charge.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Dear Valuable Guest,

We thank you for your time in sharing with us your experience. We are glad that you are pleased with the rates and size of our rooms as well as our complimentary Wi-Fi in all areas.

We have relayed to Voila this issue regarding the temporary card and also forwarded the details of your stay from November 22-24, 2011 so that due points will be awarded to you.

I understand that it is quite disappointing to return to an untidy room. We apologize for the issues you encountered, and these will be discussed with the concerned teams so that action
will be done to improve our services.

The 80QR per night for the two nights you had stayed was an incorrect charge automatically computed by the website through which you made the booking. However, as we do not impose additional charges in Qatar, this was reverted and rightfully returned to you.

We cordially look forward to serving you again, and rest assured that your next visit will be a more comfortable one.