“Full Day Fun”

Arabian Adventures Day Tours
Ranked #9 of 40 Tours in Doha
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Owner description: Arabian Adventures Qatar is the pioneer and leading inbound tour operator in Qatar. Founded in 1987, Arabian Adventures Qatar was built on the vision of creating a tour company that would provide exceptional travel experience for all visitors to Qatar We at Arabian Adventures Qatar believe in the value of honesty, transparency and a positive attitude - we consistently endeavour to achieve and deliver the best experiences to our clients. We are constantly focused on one goal - to manage any program, whether it is for an individual traveler or a group of 1000, with infinite attention to detail and unwavering commitment. Throughout our tours, you will discover this multifaceted country, a land of hospitality and cultural heritage combined with an immense world class development program. - Explore and be captivated with our "Charms of Doha" City Tours - Marvel at breathtaking landscapes & seascapes with our Desert Safaris to the inland sea of Khor Al Udeid - Discover our History with our "Beyond The Ordinary!" tours to the countryside - Be mesmerized by our traditions with visits to the Museums, the Falcon Shops and the Stud and Camel farms - Enjoy nature at its best "Kayaking in the Mangroves" - Allow yourself to experience our "Dhow Magic" cruises and see Doha from the other side
Reviewed April 5, 2018

Had a great time on the full day trip. 450QAR each is a bit on the expensive side, but it was worth it for guaranteed private vehicle. Very experienced driver for the dune bashing. Thank you for the trip Mr. Imran.

All reviews
in 5 reviews
"overnight stay"
"bedouin camp"
in 3 reviews
"recommend this tour company"
"years experience"
"nice camp"
"beach camp"
"full day tour"
"take photos"
in 5 reviews
"amazing adventure"

Reviewed March 14, 2018

Got picked up at my hotel and driven out to a staging area about an hour from Doha. Driver let air out of tires and away we went, dune bashing all over. Not a lot of slipping and sliding, but still a fun desert trip. A couple of stops for photos, then remainder of day at the tour company's camp on the Persian Gulf: lunch, drinks, swimming, sunning, relaxing. Very nice. Recommended for anyone wanting this type of experience. Kudos to my driver Waseem.

Reviewed March 3, 2018 via mobile

We had a long layover, coming from Colombo and wanted to see the city and desert. Because we landed at 2 pm and the tours normally leave at 2 pm, I emailed the company if we could start an hour later and received a prompt reply confirming a 3 pm departure. The price was good compared to the local competition. When we arrived we waited outside the terminal for the Landrover to pick us up, but that seems to be the car of choice for half the population. But, soon after, my US cellphone rang, with the driver directing us where to go and we found him. Abdul Aziz was great. He spoke enough English so we could communicate and he was friendly and kind. There were cold drinks waiting for us and the ride was very comfortable. In addition, he was an awesome and experienced driver in the sand dunes, but on the road drove very safe. We had a great time. Can highly recommend this company and Abdul Aziz.

Reviewed February 25, 2018

Keen to see Qatar in greater context and to experience some dune bashing first hand, I booked a day trip with Arabian Adventures Qatar - the oldest (and best) of the five such companies offering dune driving in the country.

A part of me had considered renting my own 4x4 and heading off to find the Inland Sea myself. But now, my scuffed blue Vans submerged in sizzling sand and not a clue quite where we are, I'm glad I didn't.

Behind the wheel instead is Mahdi, who knows exactly where we are. A veteran dune basher who has worked for Arabian Adventures for 22 years, he has driven locals and tourists into the desert on a virtually daily basis.

He even knows the names of the ever-shifting dunes.

Normally there are two, three or four to a group but today it is just me and he is being a touch more adventurous.

About an hour ago we left paved roads and even the hint of another human being after Mahdi, stopped to deflate the tyres - a dune-driving essential. Next to us were a herd of well-dressed camels, hoping to be photographed.

"Does anyone actually use camels anymore?" I ask Mahdi.

"No. Just for pictures," says Mahdi. "Although if you want you can ride one - 300 Riyals for an hour."

I pass.

Two Japanese tourists step from a hire car. The herdsmen, three African men in spotless white Thobes (or maybe Kanzus?), urge the camels towards the couple but shrug when the two seem more interested in photographing the tents nearby, then each other with thumbs up.

Now, as I step back into the cool envelope of the Toyota, Mahdi roars off again. We quickly reach the pinnacle of a 60-foot high dune, the unblemished sand falling away below the bonnet at an unseemly angle.

"Ready?" Mahdi asks.

Before I can say no, we are gliding down as if on an oversized sledge, the sand cascading behind us.

"The first time I drove here I was with my brothers," he says. "I was 16 and they used to go fishing in the sea a few miles from here. They let me drive and I loved it!

"Really, I started when I was 10 or 11. They would go out fishing and leave me with the car. At first, I'd just start it and rev the engine. Then I'd maybe put it in gear and inch it forward and then back again."

Perhaps as a result, Mahdi manoeuvers the car with a polished skill and delicate ease. We plough through the terrain; It's thrilling but not sickening.

"How do you know where you are going and if there isn't a huge cliff ahead?" I ask.

"Experience," he says.

As we speed up and over the dunes, past the occasional shredded tyre or dislocated bumper, he tells me some of the recent history of the country, points out objects of interest, such as the decaying wreck of a once mighty red Land Rover pick up, and then brings us to the slim channel of water the divides Qatar from Saudi Arabia.

Another 20-minute drive at speed over some salt flats, we curve around and pull into the Arabian Adventures camp. This is a collection of permanent tents, each air-conditioned, and a large covered area for easting. A wealth of freshly cooked food and cold drinks are available from another large tend nearby.

Given the heat, I opt for a swim before lunch. The water is beautifully clear but warmer than a bath by the shore. To find cooler water, I must swim further out and even there it's only a slightly cooler bath.

Half an hour later, the cook summons me in to eat. Barefoot, I attempt to follow him to a table a few metres away in the delicious shade of an umbrella. I make it three steps before I having to run back for my shoes. The sand burns my skin instantly.

I am the only person eating - in fact, staff aside, the only person in the desert - and nobody is worried about a timetable. Mahdi relaxes in the shade, talking to another driver.

After lunch, I return to the sea, opting to sit by the shore in the surf contemplating everything and nothing.

We drive back along the shoreline. It's faster because it's flat but just as beautiful. We pass a tortoise shell about the size of a carry-on suitcase baking in the sun, then another 4x4 attempting to pull another out of the depths of some soft sand. Mahdi nods knowingly.

Then we are back where we started. Mahdi inflates the tyres and within minutes we are back on a newly built, five-lane highway heading back to Doha.

It is an amazing adventure which I instantly want to repeat. What a ride!

2  Thank Bencyoung