“A day of beauty”

Ranked #6 of 161 things to do in Abu Dhabi
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Reviewed April 4, 2018

I was absolutely taken with our experience with the Louvre Abu Dhabi. Knowing that it is a new and small museum I was most impressed with the verity of displays. It took us about 2 hours to wonder through all the halls. Each hall held items of interest and verity.

We bought our tickets online before arriving which was definitely something I would recommend as it was so easy and helped us avoid the cues at the ticket desk. We also bought tickets for the multimedia guide. If you want a multimedia guide you must buy tickets first either online or at the ticket desk BEFORE cueing at the multimedia desk. I saw 3 families cue to buy tickets and collect at this desk and where turned away to buy the tickets first at the ticket desk. This would be a very frustrating start to your tour.

We bought 2 tickets for the multimedia guides as we were 2 adults. When we got there I saw that the multimedia guides are iPads. I didn't want to have to carry 2 iPads around so we ended up only taking 1 and sharing the earphones. The guide was easy to use and informative but you definitely don't need one. Everything is well labeled and the staff in each hall are extremely helpful and very approachable.

The building its self is magnificent and adds greatly to the overall feeling. Its a beautiful and peaceful experience. I can not wait to return for many more visits.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,769)
All reviews
"great architecture"
in 11 reviews
"well worth the visit"

Reviewed April 4, 2018 via mobile

The architecture is the draw to this museum. It's design fits well with the climate: a cool, shady oasis in unrelenting sun. The museum is ideal for a quite day away from Dubai, with friends, to have a meal and get a little sun. If you have any experience of museums in New York, London or Paris then the collections will be disappointing. There are lots of studies for important compositions that hang in those other cities. It seems the curators were after anything available on the market that had a big 20th-century name but everything painted by Picasso is not a masterpiece. In fact, don't go there at all for the paintings. The earlier archaeological pieces is where the real intrigue is and the jewel of all the collections for me is Lord Rothmere's art deco apartment--but I'm biased.

Reviewed April 4, 2018

A must when you are in the area - one of the most beautiful buildings I've ever seen!
Very nice museum with limited but very relevant collection.

Reviewed April 4, 2018 via mobile

Finally some class some style some culture in AD... they may have spent billion to achieve it but this place is a MUST SEE. Worth stopover in AD if only to see this magnificent gallery space and wonderful exhibits.

I've been twice and I could easily go again.

1  Thank PeteZoom
See more reviews
Reviewed April 3, 2018

We went back for a second visit. It takes about 2 hours to see and absorb all museum exhibits. The building is great but there is not enough stuff in it. Adding all up I have been left wondering what the "Leitmotif" of this museum is. The in/out and flow through the wings is confusing. The cafe really needs to be organised better. The display. the coffee making and the queue for payment: it is all very amateuristic. The amount of plastic food packaging is a disgrace. Pret a Manger would do a much better job. We expected the Salvator Mundi to be displaced. But is was not. No info on what is happening and when.