“Fantastic getaway”

The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort
Ranked #33 of 129 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Reviewed 6 September 2012

Have been staying here with my boyfriend for Valentines day, and though the hotel wasn't fully operating, we got the best treatment. From upgrade to a butler service, from anniversary dinner to amazing breakfast, from the room to the spa, from the library to the mini-bar - everything was so adorable. In my opinion, this is the best hotel in Abu Dhabi so far. Totally worth every dirham spent. The feeling they give you can not be compared to anything. The room was just huge and smartly designed, with super king size bed and a comfy coach and chairs. The bathroom made me spent half of my time in it as it was just chic) the only problem was with the shower, cuz there was something wrong with the drain whole and there was water overflow, but the housekeeping managed to make it seem like it never happened) the mini-bar was so nicely stocked with different stuff which you don't meet often in any other mini-bar and it appeared to be very smart of them to put those things inside. You should definitely wake up for breakfast, as it has so many items on display of local and continental and oriental cuisine. Also they keep bringing you some chef compliments to taste during your meal, and believe me those are just beyond everything. And of course, you shouldn't leave without checking out the spa. We had the journey for two treatment, and we were so pampered as it lasted more than 2 hours. If you want your partner to feel royal on some special day, you should totally book a room here and try it all.

Room Tip: They are all amazing, so just enjoy it
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
John_Pelling, General Manager at The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2012

Greetings and thank you for your words of praise! I am delighted to read your stay with us was memorable and beyond expectation in every sense, a promise that St. Regis as a brand strives to achieve globally. I am glad that you also enjoyed time at the Iridium Spa, the first of its kind in the region.
Thank you again for choosing us the address to celebrate time with your loved one and we look forward to welcoming you back for another unforgettable stay.

John Pelling

Write a ReviewReviews (2,637)

Reviewed 3 September 2012 via mobile

One of the best hotels I stayed in UAE, their ocean suite is highly recommended, great view, their kids zone area was amazing even my kid didn't want to leave the place. Definately is a hotel that I want to visit again for any short break.

• Stayed: March 2012
4  Thank MeshariAlbannai
John_Pelling, General Manager at The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2012

Dear Meshari,

It is a pleasure to read that you had a wonderful stay with us and that your child thoroughly enjoyed the Sandcastle Club, a dedicated facility for our little guests that also allows parents alike the time to relax and take a break.
Thank you for your positive note and I look forward to welcoming your family and you back very soon.

Reviewed 1 September 2012

I would like to express and share my gratitude with the St Regis team at Saadiyat Island, Abu Dhabi who provided us a luxury and unforgettable weekend holiday experience. This hotel has some of the most spacious rooms in any hotel worldwide. The service and courtesy is what you expect from St Regis, Saadiyat.
Gorgeous high quality hotel, spacious rooms, beautiful private beach, lovely pool, impeccable service, great and wonderful people and amazing property! Truly a 5 star luxury hotel in Abu Dhabi! Easily my first choice of hotels in AD. You must be proud of your family! Here are some of the most engaging individuals at St. Regis:

Nadia from the reception who did a very quick (less than 10 minutes) check-in and check-out. That was superb! Her smile makes our day gorgeous and she is very polite.

Ester from the lobby who did a perfect show around in our room and escorted us to 4th floor. She was one of the asset in the hotel. She always smile and delivered a great service. She is a star!

Mary from the Concierge. Very attentive and approachable. Professional yet friendly, thus almost to perfection. Well done, Mary!

Ivan, the Bell person who was very helpful and polite in accommodating us. He delivered a personal touch and treated every single guest as unique individual.

Allan from the poolside who was so patient to send us to the indoor pool. He did an extra mile - that was appreciated. He is an epitome of great service.

Ajay from the indoor pool was caring and very thoughtful.

Roldan from the poolside. A man who had a sense of humor. Very good, charming and chatting with him was an epic!

The two gentlemen at Olea - Andrew and John Lastimoso who did a fantastic job! Caring and thoughtful - great service! They brighten up our beautiful Saturday! Bravo to Olea Team who made our breakfast delightful and superb!

From the valet parking, door men, bell person, reception, concierge, in-room dining, butler, pool side, Olea team, health club and of course, to the management - KUDOS! We will be back soon! My friends and I had an impeccable stay!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Daryl B
John_Pelling, General Manager at The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2012

Dear Daryl,

Greetings and thank you for taking the time to post your feedback while individually recognizing our team. It is truly rewarding and a moment of pride to read that your stay with us was impeccable and that our team delivered a bespoke experience at every instance. I will be delighted to share all your comments with the team as we constantly strive at providing our guests with the best service from the time of check in until departure.
Thank you again for the kind words of appreciation and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed 30 August 2012

I am so glad we came to this spectacular hotel! I was completely taken in by the mediterranean theme as we drove into the resort. We were given full attention by the staff as we entered the large high ceiling lobby.. checkin was a breeze and we found ourselves being ushered to our suite in a mater of minutes.

Room Details:
As expected the rooms (Ocean Suite + Interconnected room) were nicely and uniquely decorated. The suite sitting area and dining was generous in size with its own bathroom. Ensuite master felt cozy.. loved watching tv from the Master Bed more than the living room. The view from the balcony was amazing and relaxing, but we didn't end up using it much due to the humid and hot summer weather. The bathroom in the superior interconnected room was by far better layed out than the suite's bathroom. Do note that you will have to book in advance and make the request to get a suite connected with a room.

Kids Club:
The kids club was great. The kids enjoyed the various activities there, which was a relief and gave myself and my wife some good time off :) 5 stars to that. We also managed to spend some time with our kids there painting, playing games etc.

Service:
In terms of service, staff were plenty and to be seen everywhere however they are still going through the service learning curve and have a lot to learn. But their dedication and preparedness to help made up for that.

The breakfast selection was impressive, unfortunately there was a huge rush of guests coming in which made the staff struggle to provide the expected level of service.

Overall it's a great hotel, I'd definitly be visiting here again in the winter when the weather is pleasant.

Room Tip: Definitely get a sea view room to enjoy the view from the spacious balconies. You can get a nesspr...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Amer S
John_Pelling, General Manager at The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2012

Thank you for your words of praise and recognition of our teams' efforts. I am happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and will be returning later this year when the weather gets better.
I look forward to welcoming you back for another Mediterranean-inspired getaway right here in the UAE.

Reviewed 30 August 2012

I have been a member of Trip Advisor for almost 6 years now and I'm usually inclined to submit a review once I'm back at home and settled into my normal routine. That way, I find that I can write a balanced and fair account of our holiday.

But today, lounging here at the The St. Regis, and currently at the adult pool area, that inclination has evaporated due simply to the good times my wife and I are experiencing every minute of our stay. Moments ago I found myself making an innocuous remark to her about our holiday, thus prompting me to reach for the iPad.

We arrived here at around 9pm last Sunday evening via a private taxi from the airport. For 70 AED (around £13) we rode (at quite some speed I might add) in a 7-series BMW and in absolute comfort. I noticed the driver changed the radio channel to BBC radio 2 in an apparent effort to make us feel at home.

20 minutes later we arrived at the hotel and were greeted by a small army of staff quite obviously intent on making our arrival here memorable. Mission accomplished. Our car doors were opened by two porters, one of whom promptly collected our luggage (double-checking he had all the pieces - a smart attention to detail) and the other greeting us warmly.

Next, a few feet away at the commanding main entrance, 2 more smartly-attired doormen opened the huge doors to the lobby with polite greetings and smiles, accompanied by a very welcoming waft of air-conditioning.

Moments later we were at the check-in desk. There was a barely noticeable and playful fight to see who could greet us first (The delightful Stephanie won the contest) and we quickly completed the necessities before a butler was summoned to take us to our room. If you decide to stay here be sure to read a little of the St. Regis legacy and the 'invention' of their signature butler service.

A tiny mix-up did occur at check-in; we were told we'd been upgraded to a sea-view room, when in fact we had already booked a 'superior sea-view room', so that was a little confusing - and for a very brief moment I thought a suite was beckoning.  Not to worry.

If I was disappointed though, that quickly subsided when I walked into our room. Immediately very welcoming, beautifully lit and appointed with fine quality decor and furnishings. The bed has proven to be the most comfortable of the many we've slept in throughout our travels and the linens are sumptuous.

The bathroom/shower area is really very lovely. A deep-fill bath, an open walk-in shower and beautiful tile decor everywhere you look makes you feel very special.

We have been fortunate over the years to have stayed in some fine establishments and this year in particular have enjoyed holidays in Las Vegas (A suite at the new Aria hotel), the Turkish Mediterranean Coast (in two separate and delightful hotels) and we were most recently in a suite at the Canaves boutique hotel in Santorini, Greece.

Whilst the aforementioned all have their own unique delights, the St. Regis has a certain edge over all of these properties and for a variety of interesting reasons. One may gain clues of precisely why from reading the Trip Advisor reviews that have a clear air of authenticity (over perhaps some of the more pompous-sounding accounts) but for us, I must choose to single out a few of the staff who we have met during the first half of this holiday.

Julius, one of the butlers here is one of the most genuinely charming people I have met on our travels. I have enjoyed several conversations with him about this hotel, the typical clientele, about Abu Dhabi and about his home country of the Philippines. He was at all times honest and diplomatic (not an easy task for anyone) and a delight to converse with.

On duty at the main door each evening this week is the imposing Vlad from the Ukraine. Once again, so obviously genuine in his warmth and charm and wanting only to be sure we have everything we need and wish for to make our holiday memorable.

There is that word again - memorable - and again, mission accomplished.

Both Julius and Vlad, like many here speak excellent English putting us lazy Anglophiles to shame.

We have a little time remaining today and just two more days to go and there is little doubt that we will return. For us two seasoned travellers, It has actually proven impossible to leave this hotel and a quick explanation of why follows:

Early alarm bells ring around 6, we visit the gym around 6:45 (we are not members of a gym at home but the facility here is world-class and again, all the staff are just a delight) so it would be foolish to ignore. Even if you don't 'gym' you may use a fabulous new sauna, a steam-room or lap pool.

Breakfast at around 8:30. A complete choice and top quality food and beverage is everywhere you look at the Olea buffet.

We then spend much of our day at one of four swimming pools. The adult pool with it's shaded jacuzzi areas, classy dark blue tile and smart angled design is one of the best we've seen. Choose the huge family pool if you have children and also there is a fantastic facility for very young kids as well.

AGAIN, the staff in and around the pools are so nice. They seem to have ESP because they know you're thirsty a fraction of a second before you do yourself. They will make up your sun-lounger for you, they will move it to shade when you need it and they work very hard in the searing heat to make your stay as comfortable as possible. If its too hot, there is so much shade for you to enjoy so please don't worry.

The beach. Aside from a few stones that have in some places washed ashore - the hotel will help you with water-shoes for that eventuality - the beach here is simply beautiful. The temperature of the water is 'warm bath' and the colour of the sea is the same as you see on the web site - something of a rarity I think you'll find.

There are options for you to choose if you (for some crazy reason) feel the need to leave the hotel. Today we gave in and explored (via the free-shuttle service) the Grand Mosque. A most beautiful building with wonderful craftsmanship. It put me in mind of the Taj Mahal but on a grander scale. Details and photographs will simply fail to do justice to this awesome sight. Please be sure to visit (for free) if you come to Abu Dhabi.

There are several large shopping malls and the Ferrari World theme park, Yas Island, etc should you so desire to explore further.

Our objective for this week was simply and only relaxation - although we've very happily settled into the gym routine and thus, feel so darn good about ourselves it's been a really pleasant (almost revelatory) surprise.

If you are coming to the Emirates and want luxury, class, and a truly personal touch, then come here. Check the website for this hotel and read about the spa and the restaurants and about everything I've missed in this review.

This review is by no means exhaustive. My objective was to try and get across why this hotel has the 'edge' on others we've experienced. We very nearly didn't choose this particular destination but are so glad that we did.

Here's to our last two days. If you have any questions please feel free to message me any time. Happy holidays.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Dave C

Dear Dave,

It is been our pleasure to have you with us and thank you for taking the time to post such a detailed account of your stay this far. It is certainly a moment of pride for me to read your review, especially since you’ve individually recognized the team for their efforts. I will be delighted to share this with them. Your review highlights our uncompromising commitment to provide our guests a memorable and relaxing getaway and I’m glad that we delivered to you an experience beyond expectation.
Thank you again for the kind words of appreciation and I am confident that we will have you back very soon.

Reviewed 29 August 2012

Most of our stay here was wonderful (well.. except the dining ... ) . You really felt like you could have been on an island in the Pacific - as soon as you stepped into the foyer you were transported into another world! The hotel is stunning, the view from the lobby extraordinary and the attentive staff are so welcoming. It's expensive, but you get exceptional service, wonderful rooms and the facilities are immaculate. Will stay again.

Pros that made the holiday heaven for busy families:
Kids club was clean and had an airconditioned section where mums / dads can sit and watch the kids
Dedicated soft play areas for little babies - in the airconditioned section - welcome relief from burning sun!
Butler service was good and fast
Cot in room - all ready and made up when we arrived
Excellent choice of food for breakfast for kids and adults alike
Rooms were enormous - and we had interconnecting rooms which were a great size
Baby toiletries provided - what a fantastic and welcome addition to our room

Couple of negatives:
No coffee in the room!
30 AED for a glass of milk
Dining experience (see comments below)
No shade covers on any of the outdoor pools
Tiles around the pool are scorching hot and very slippery

Specific Comments re: Dining Experience

Like most resorts, the restaurants have a captive audience, but in this case they really let down the overall experience at the hotel.

We had lunch in the pool restaurant Turquoiz - and it took over an hour and half to bring the kids some chicken nuggets and chips, that was after it took them 30 minutes to take the order. 2 hours out of the pool seemed like a lifetime to the kids.

We ordered a glass of milk for one of the babies to the room - and it cost 30 AED. So be prepared for ludicrous pricing.

Dinner at Sontaya was the biggest disappointment of the whole experience. We were told by the wait staff to order various dishes to share - however when the portions came out some were miniscule and were more like tapas than asian dishes for sharing. The food was cold when it came to the table. All up ridiculously expensive restaurant, disappointing food and staff were somewhat lost - and didn't seem to know the menu. To be fair the restaurant was extremely busy, and there was a large group next to us which drained all the staff's attention. We were largely ignorned amd would never go back to Sontaya.

Would I stay again - absolutely - the kids loved the hotel, but we may take some trips to neighbouring hotels to sample their restaurants this time.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Ada_Evans

Dear Ada,

Whilst I’m sorry to read that your experience within some of our food and beverage venues didn’t live up to expectations, I am pleased that your overall stay with us was good and that your children simply loved Sandcastle Club and our resort.
I am confident your next stay with us will be beyond expectation in every aspect and I look forward to welcoming you back. Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed 26 August 2012

Having just opened you would expect quality facilities but St Regis goes beyond expectations. The sea view rooms and very spacious an have amazing bathroom suites.

Facilities are fantastic and staff, especially at check-in are knowledgable (unusual in this region) and friendly. The stay and play options for Saadiyat and Abu Dhabi golf club are also very good value.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank meandbe

Thank you for your kind comments. I am happy to read that you utilized the Golf Stay and Play package and played at the Saadiyat Beach Golf Club, the 18-hole golf course that surrounds the resort.
With the weather getting better, I would recommend our ‘Ultimate Golf Experience’ package that offers tee time at two golf courses - Saadiyat Beach Golf Club as well as the Abu Dhabi Golf Club. I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.