“The worst hotel I have ever stayed in”
Review of Amsterdam

Amsterdam
Ranked #34 of 65 Hotels in Punta del Este
st. louis
“The worst hotel I have ever stayed in”
Reviewed 10 January 2009

This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in! Punta del Este is beautiful, but this experience almost ruined it. We had to switch rooms because of ants and the pool was not swimmable. The only positive is the nice staff at the front desk.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank jm8626

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Buenos Aires
Reviewed 5 May 2008

My boyfriend and I passed by this hotel sometime last year during the summer. It was packed with teenagers. That should have been a bad omen.

This weekend, my boyfriend decided to go to PdelE without hotel reservations, given that it was low season. BUT, it was also a long weekend, thus most other options were closed. OK, no problem, we went to the Amsterdam, and things were calm. A few older couples were milling about the lobby. It was a great location by Playa de los Ingleses, and it cost $50. What could be bad?

Everything. The single beds were tiny, the windows were dirty, the carpet was dirty and worn down (the staff said that it was construction dirt...they didn't bother to vacuum it even after we requested it done.), the toilet seat was loose, the soap was bargain basement, the closet took some muscle to open. Since it was cold, my boyfriend threw one of the heavier blankets on the beds. I found a hairball stuck to the fabric. EEUEUEUEUEEEEWWW! I didn't walk around the place without shoes, and we put down towels in the bathroom so as not to step on the floor.

After my boyfriend took a shower, the shower curtain fell down. With that, we decided to haul-[--] on out of there, but not before trying the subrate breakfast. Very sad and rock-like croissants, a rotten apple in the fruit bowl. Lovely!

I suppose if I were in my teens or backpacking, this place would be luxurious. But I'm close to my 40's now. At the very least, I'd like some cleanliness. They could care less.

We ended up staying at Le Club Hotel (near la Posta del Cangrejo) in La Barra, about a 20 minute drive from PdelE's center. It was beautiful and right on the water! Gorgeous!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Punta del Este hotels

Cleveland, OH
Reviewed 7 December 2007

The hotel Amsterdam is within walking distance of the port and surrounded by restaurants/shops. There are two grocery stores nearby and laundry pickup/delivery for a very reasonable price. Taxi stand right up the street. The staff was friendly and helpful. If you want polished brass elevator doors and a fresh flowers on the nightstand, this is not the place. It is basic, clean accommodation at a reasonable price, centrally located. I would stay there again.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Room layout
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank dragon_bob
Reviewed 8 May 2006

I recomend this hotel. Is very well located, excellent human resources.
I have been there on south summer, i.e. january 2006
Is near by the seaside, the port, restaurants. Few blocks from downtown.
Recently renewed with nices sights over the sea.

• Stayed January 2006
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 29 August 2005

Well what can I say about the Hotel Amsterdam? dont bother going there for a start. Not only is the hotel in serious need of some modernisation and an input of charm, but the fact that I had clothes stolen from my rucksack while I left my bags with reception to go see the Sea-lions was a real nice touch guys, thanks!!

There are far better places to stay in Punta, I recommend that the Hotel Amsterdam is the last resort especially if you want to save yourselves 2 hours talking to the Uruguayian police to get a claims report.

• Stayed August 2005
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 7 March 2005

Our room was spacious and clean, but the windows did not lock! It is a very safe area, but still....There is an in-room safe. Some ocean views, but no balcony. Small but nice pool with a bi-level lawn. There is also an indoor pool. Staff okay, breakfast nice if you get there early, otherwise not much is left. This hotel is with walking distance of many restaurants and shops, also very close to the port.

• Stayed February 2005, travelled on business