“Slow service, over-priced”

Cafe Illampu
Ranked #157 of 444 Restaurants in La Paz
Price range: US$3 - US$6
Cuisines: Swiss
Description: In February 2012, was founded by a trained Swiss baker, confectioner and cook the CAFE Illampu in La Paz. It was named after the Cafe in Sorata after the 6356 m high mountain there with impressive twin peaks. It was opened in a historic house on the Calle Linares. Here was the beginning of the 20th century the residence of the Linares family, of which the ceiling painting still bears witness. Apart from the famous Cafe Munaipata there is food of predominantly organic farming without Pesticide and eutrophication. This concerns all the ingredients such as eggs, flour, yogurt, jams, honey and rabbit meat from our own attitude. The raclette is a special treat. Stefan and his staff endeavor to make your stay as pleasant as possible.
Reviewed 2 July 2016

This cafe is on the east side of the main tourist shopping street, but is a bit hard to find unless you look up and see the Swiss flag on the first floor. It was very quiet when I went there for lunch. The service was very slow and a bit off-hand. I had an omelette which was quite nice, but expensive. The washrooms are in another room some distance away. I had to ask directions. Then I had to track down the waiter to pay the bill.

There are newer reviews for Cafe Illampu

Reviewed 22 April 2016

when I went here I really wanted a cup of tea and they had teased me with all the different flavours available as displayed by the boxes.
As it turned out the boxes were just for show and the really nice tea wasn't actually available.
I suggest they either remove the box and don't advertise it or get a new box which is full!!
I had a coffee which was ok - not exceptional but decent enough.
We tried some cake which looked like carrot cake but it was weird and had a strange flavour. Bolivian recipe i think and not the real thing.
Nice clean toilet available

Reviewed 22 February 2016

If you go there for some swiss bread...don't do it as you will be greatly disappointed. If you want to try some typical swiss food than I would say it's okey. I had the Rösti with the Lama sausage wich was okey (nothing extraordinary). The Lama sausage pretty much tasted like a traditional Cervela (swiss sausage). My partner had the spätzli with the mushroom sauce and as well as my meal it was nothing special. As a swiss citizen I would never go back into this restaurant as the cuisine as well as the bakery does not get close to the quality you get in other swiss restaurants. If you really crave swiss food you will have no other option in La Paz except there is another place where you can eat fondu which I have personally not tried.

1  Thank Joel P
Reviewed 22 January 2016 via mobile

I love this place. Is where I go every time after walking through sagarnaga street. I always take the table in the balcony and spend hours watching people in Linares street while drinking their excellent coffee.

Reviewed 5 February 2015

We have been in cafe Illampu a view times during our stay in La Paz. It's located in a beautiful building and surrounded of many outdoor sport companies (also in the same buliding). That means, it's perfect to decide your activity there while you get a cafe and a really delicious pice of cake. All the confectioner goods are just great!

Also we tried the swiss raclette. After one year of traveling we felt back home in our family's for dinner. The meal was exactly like how we get them in the swiss homes! Thanks again!!!