1,213 results
All reviews witches market sister hotel free tea hotel restaurant an oasis hot water central courtyard day tour third floor altitude sickness busy street breakfast buffet is top floor location is excellent san francisco church bread lake titicaca
Reviewed April 5, 2018 via mobile

We had pre booked this hotel though a local agency in New Zealand. We had a red-eye flight from Bogota and it was 5 a.m. when we finally stopped outside the hotel and still dark. We had noticed the down at heel area with a lot of the buildings covered in corrogated iron and the dirty streets. The guide said we had arrived and I asked where. All I could see were two lit ATM booths, nothing that looked like a hotel. There were homeless people sleeping on a mattress against what turned out to be the front wall of the hotel. When our guide knocked on the barred glass, the door was opened by a security guard. It was then we discovered that the hotel had lots of stairs and a lift that only went to the 2nd floor. I had sent two emails a couple of days before we arrived (one in English and one in Spanish) asking for a ground floor room due to some mobility issues I have. The hotel did not receive them. They also have no walk-in showers, only over bath ones. No use to me.

In the end, given the time (Bolivia being 1 hr ahead of Colombia) we agreed to stay the night, or what was left of it, but insisted on moving to a hotel with no stairs or at least one with a working lift, as soon as possible. To be fair the hotel offered to move us to a ground floor the next day but still no walk-in shower so we declined. There were still stairs to be climbed to reach the breakfast room also.

I am not sure who was responsible for moving us but arrangements were made swiftly and efficiently and we were very relieved and grateful.

From what we saw of the hotel in daylight it is as quaint and pretty as other reviewers have said. The staff are pleasant and helpful and if it were located in a nicer part of the city with no homeless people camped against the front wall, able-bodied people would probably enjoy their stay immensely but please be warned, if you find stairs difficult or you are not prepared to stay in what can fairly be described as a slum area, the Hotel Rosaria, La Paz, is probably not for you.

Neil and Jackie, New Zealand

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jt13gsd
Reviewed April 1, 2018

La Paz's almost complete dearth of western chain hotels means that you'll be staying at a more local place no matter what. While the Rosario will cost more than many, it's still a bargain from Western standards and is well worth the extra cost

Location:

Centrally located in the heart of La Paz, a short walk uphill from the Plaza San Francisco and a short walk downhill from the nearest Mi Teleferico cable car station It's about 25 minutes from the airport via taxi (70-80 Bolivianos) and close to pretty much anything in La Paz you'd want to see

Building/Rooms:

The hotel itself is a very pleasant structure, though it's worth pointing out that my room on the 4th floor required two flights of stairs - the elevator only goes to 2. My room was lovely, however, and worth walking up for. Still, room quality varies significantly from what I could see, so request room 430 if you can - it had significantly more space than every other one I saw.

WiFi/Amenities/Breakfast

Compared to many other hotels in La Paz, the Rosario is well appointed. Hot water is abundant, space heaters are provided (central heating is rare in Bolivian hotels) and the WiFi was consistently fast and reliable.

The free breakfast which was provided was also very nice, with a mixture of buffet options as well as eggs to order.

Staff

The staff are all (mainly) fluent in English and were helpful with all matters, whether ordering a cab or setting up a tour.

The Bottom Line:

While a lack of central heating and the inability to flush your toilet paper (South American plumbing problems) perhaps might not remind you of a five star hotel, the Hotel Rosario is an excellent choice in La Paz

Room Tip: Elevators only go up to floor 2
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed March 29, 2018

While simple, Hotel Rosario was clean, comfortable and quiet. We booked a room an extra night so we could immediately check in upon our arrival and the hotel assisted in making arrangements so that we would have transportation from the airport to the hotel at 330am. They also provided luggage storage and very affordable laundry service, even allowing me to send out my laundry on the day we checked out and to pick it up when we arrived back in La Paz. The restaurant had good food, though on the slightly expensive side as compared to the surrounding areas. One of our fellow travelers on a tour we're taking that was at a different hotel even attempted to moved to Hotel Rosario since she said it was so much nicer than hers.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Michele327
Reviewed March 19, 2018

We booked one night of family room in Hotel Rosario La Paz and after the booking and right before our arrival, the hotel will send a reminder to you for the awareness of high altitude and also tourism spots recommendations around the hotel, which is very sweet to us as we are new to La Paz. The hotel is just two blocks away from the Witches Market, which I think is selling unique (and much cheaper!) stuff than other markets in South America. Staff is so nice that let us switch the breakfast time and enjoy it on the first day, as we were going to leave the hotel 5am the next day. Hotel itself also provides early breakfast (around 3 to 4 am) but we decided to take it first. Family room is super nice and big and comfortable. We can see a very charming night view from the room. We regret not having enough time in this hotel and even La Paz. Will definitely back to this hotel if we travel to La Paz next time!

Room Tip: Have lift!
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed March 13, 2018 via mobile

I was pleasantly surprised with this hotel. The street it’s on is a little shabby. The interiors are tastefully decorated. The front desk staff are very very helpful.
I was running late one day and went into the dining room 15min before the were scheduled to close. They told me mot to worry and served me the light meal I ordered . My room was so nice. Good bed, free WIFI, tv. Elevator!
I didn’t expect to stay in LaPaz, but this was a lucky pick for me. I would definitely recommend it.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled solo