“Excellent location within walking distance to sites”
Review of Casa Platypus

Casa Platypus
Ranked #96 of 267 Hotels in Bogota
Ramrod Key Florida
“Excellent location within walking distance to sites”
Reviewed 21 February 2012

Website has excellent directions. I used the local bus to get to the hotel and it was easy. Columbia is safe but this hotel has 24 hour security with limited access. E-Mailed the hotel prior to leaving and made my reservation without a deposit and they answered my question before leaving. Breakfast was great with fruit, breads, eggs and coffee

Room Tip: Rooms away from the front are quieter
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 December 2011

We stayed one night in a small a but comfortable double room. The bed was very comfortable and breakfast good. Well located. Some noise issues from fellow guests as soundproofing doesn't appear that good.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Michigan
Reviewed 22 December 2011

Looking over the other reviews, I find a pendulum swing of impressions. It is true that the rooms are small and basic and there is ambient noise, the more so when one encounters fellow travelers who are unmindful of the rest of others. Such is one of the hazzards to be encountered in a communal setting. I must say, however, the 8 days I spent here with my traveling companion were most enjoyable, in most part due to the very friendly staff, the large well-appointed kitchen available to travelers, the large dinning and common area on the second floor and the terrace offering a substanial fiew of La Candelaraia district, plus the proximity to the Gold Museum and the Botero Museum. The rooms were very clean and the water was hot.The price might be somewhat high by some standards, but then I have found that Colombia is not a budget travelers paradise. We stayed over New Years and the owner and staff provided and served the guests a very substantial and delicious New Year's Eve dinner.Other appointments of the house: a roomy reception area with computers and WIfi, and some English speaking staff. Not the least important feature of the house - especially in an area of the city that although of considerable historical importnce has a reputation for crime - is the security at the front, the door locked and monitored by staff. Should i travel again to Bogota, I would not hesitated to stay here once more.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MichiganZumbido
Australia
Reviewed 18 December 2011

We stayed one night in the dorm rooms for the princely sum of $40k COP. The rooms are well kept and the staff are excellent. Beds are very comfortable, breakfast was fantastic and the roof top terrace was cool. The location is handy to the Oro and the Botero museums.

Some issues we had included the traffic noise, smoking outside of the room despite the place notionally having restricted areas and some socks were not returned from the laundary service. Wifi was kind of patchy in the room we were in as well, but not that big of an issue as we spent most of the time out of the hotel.

Mainly we wouldn't stay there again because of the price.

Room Tip: A few streets away we were almost victums of an attempted mugging, so please be careful when you are...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 November 2011

A great place to stay, to meet people and a great source of information on where to go in Colombia as well as other parts of South America. I passed through Bogota a few times on my trip and this was by far my favourite hotel. The hotel is beautifully furnished with lots of comfortable common areas to relax making it very easy to meet other guests/travellers if you wish. The staff are particularly helpful and gave me lots of great advice. My room was very comfortable, very clean and the breakfast was delicious. I can't speak highly enough of this place, I was sad to leave and look forward to a return visit in the future when I return to Colombia.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 October 2011

Quiet and very comfortable. The staff and owner are very helpful and friendly. I especially enjoyed the very hot pressured shower! Breakfast was delightful and provided the opportunity to chat with other guests. One of the best places I stayed in throughout my Latin American travels. Worth the cost.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kobugi
NZ
Reviewed 5 October 2011

I stayed here for 2 nights in a single room. The room was nice and the bathroom looked new. The staff were very friendly and helpful, breakfast was great, and the location was good - within walking distance of all the main sites in the Old Town and the Teleferico. The only slight issue I had was that it was quite noisy. To be fair, the noise was not coming from outside the hotel, but from a particularly noisy family staying there. The soundproofing was not great. However, I suspect that most of the time it would be fine. I read an older post where someone was complaining they don’t accept credit cards. I paid my bill by card so that’s no longer an issue. I also read about noise from a nearby nightclub. I was there during the weekend and didn’t hear it at all. Overall, if I were going back to Bogota I would stay there again.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo