“Great Location, friendly staff”

Hostal Sue Candelaria
Ranked #20 of 319 Speciality Lodging in Bogota
Reviewed 7 December 2015

We booked a double private room which was exactly as advertised. We found it clean and spacious which ample blankets on the bed to keep out the cool Bogota air. The staff at the Hostal are super nice and helpful. Regrettably we don't speak much Spanish however this was not a problem as there are some members of staff who speak English and the staff who do not were super patient with us when we were trying out our terrible Spanish skills. The hostel is in a superb location for exploring the Candelaria area with lots of restaurants close by. The only niggle was that wifi was only available in the public areas, this wasn't a great issue though as it allowed us the opportunity to mingle with other travellers.

Room Tip: We were in room 7 which is right in the corner of the courtyard which meant it was a little quieter.
  • Stayed: December 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nicole B

Reviewed 22 October 2015 via mobile

Our private double room was basic (although it did have a TV!) but what makes this hostel special are the lovely communal areas. The restaurant / bar makes a good place to have a coffee and relax and there is an internal lounge with DVD player for rainy days! The breakfast was a little disappointing (black coffee & a bread roll) and bathrooms quite basic but clean. Great location in the middle of the old town in a beautiful building.

Stayed: June 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 August 2015

To start off my parents are Colombian so I know the culture, stereotypes, language, etc. Bogota is known for not being the most friendly city (Colombia is known for extreme hospitality and kindness but Bogota is known for coldness and a more businesslike attitude), so I did not expect for such a good experience when it came to the staff.

The Hostel itself- the hostel is nice. It's not gorgeous, it's not incredible in its amenities, ,but it gets the job done. The showers were hot (not all places in Bogota have that and trust me Bogota's water can freeze you to death), the wifi was surprisingly fast, and the place was spotless! They cleaned everyday and we were given lockers to protect our stuff although by the time we were almost done in our stay we left our room opened and didn't take much caution; nothing bad happened. I love how there is an open patio as long as you have a sweater at night and good company, you'll have a nice time.

Location- The candelaria district feels more authentically Colombian than el centro or other more ritzy parts. It has its gritty side to it but it is nice and artistic and even slightly bohemian while balancing a traditional look as well. I liked it a lot. Very close to Plaza Bolivar and other touristy areas but the district itself doesn't feel super touristy as well. Also Andes Eco Tours is right across the street which was nice since for the first two days we did nothing but hike in el paramo. Nearby there is a burger joint (I think it's called mega burger or something like that) and I swear to god the burgers were so good we ate there twice in under 24 hours (im not a big burger person so thats saying something).

Staff- The best part of the hostel, besides it offering super fun activities, was the staff. I absolutely fell in love with Sandra "the mother of the night" for being so kind and helpful and with Diana who was so cool and friendly and awesome to talk to . EVERYONE wanted to help us, but not with professional coldness but a warm gusto that was infectious. The staff was incredibly friendly and incredibly interested in all of its visitors. The cleaning staff was so respectful and kind. I chatted with everyone who worked there.
Other- They have fun events so make sure to ask. The BEST was the party bus to Andres Carne de Res (YOU MUST GO) you drink on the bus and arrive to Andres Carne de Res which is an experience in itself. I felt so safe in this hostal and I really enjoyed it. One of my friends (i was traveling with two gringos) teared up a little in the taxi.

Conclusion: I did not expect to love this hostal so much and to enjoy Bogota as much as I did. In my 6 week stay in colombia, staying at 8 other hostels around the country i can say that Hostal Sue Candelaria was the most memorable, despite lacking a beach or an incredible view, because of the fun events and people it contains.

Room Tip: if you are a lousy sleeper try to get a room farthest away from the common area/bar. Not an issue fo...
  • Stayed: May 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 July 2015 via mobile

Breakfast was very very poor, 1 arepa (i feel the need to repeat that, one really tiny arepa), juice and a hot beverage. Shower was kind of warm for 5 min but then got cold. Went to the salt cathedral and lagoon tour with them. They told me to be ready at 9:30 but then rushed me to the minibus at 9:15 (the guys from the other hostels were told to be there at 8!) and then they stopped for no reason for an hour at the gas station, we missed the opening hours for the lagoon and ended up spending our day driving around in a van. after all that, i had to fight with them to lower the price of the tour! good location, nice tv room, dorm was ok, Wifi was ok, kitchen was fine as well. there's similar or better options in the area.

Stayed: July 2015, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 July 2015

The hostel has very good location, for the ood price you will also get the breakfast which is a great help in the morning :) Also staff is very helpfull! I have met a few great people travellers there and that have made my stay even better. Really worth it! Dont look more just enjoy a few days in Bogota!

Room Tip: excellent location
  • Stayed: July 2015, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 June 2015

There is absolutely nothing wrong with this hostel, but there is nothing too special to make it stand out either. The staff is extremely nice and welcoming. They did a great job helping us understand where we were relative to the common interests around. They spoke very very little English. The rooms were just fine. The beds and pillows were somewhat comfortable, not my best nights sleep and not my worse either. Hot showers were about 50/50. Typically one of us could get a hot shower and the other one would get a warmish shower. If you timed it (i.e. take a shower during the middle of the day) you would have better luck. The breakfast was OK, basic piece of bread, juice and coffee. The coffee wasn't that good, but a lot of places aren't serving that good of coffee in Colombia. We went right down the street to a place called DuoCafe for breakfast each day. The wifi was a bit hit or miss, especially in the rooms. A lot of the guests would sit outside of their rooms or in the common area if they wanted to get wifi. The rooms themselves are fine but the walls and doors are paper thin so you can hear even the most modest conversations taking place outside your door.

• Stayed: June 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 May 2015

it was a great moment to stay here , personal , recepptionists are really kind , helpfull and the place also . You have wifi and pc free to connect you , hot water , rooms are really clean and of more it's the right place to meet news peoples from all around the world . I recommend this hostel !

• Stayed: May 2015, travelled solo