“Typical hostel”

and 1 more site!
Hostal Sue Candelaria
Ranked #20 of 282 Speciality Lodging in Bogota
Reviewed 16 May 2016

The hostel was clean, friendly and with large, comfy bunks - pretty much what you want from a hostel experience. The staff were friendly but had lost my booking (I had booked directly via email) - however I was given a single room for the first night, so all worked out well. The free breakfast is small but tasty (egg arepas if you're lucky!) and served in the lovely garden, which is a nice way to start the day. And the location is very convenient for the museums, the bars and restaurants of the old town, and for going up Monserrate.

Room Tip: The bar can be noisy - stay as far into the garden as you can.
  • Stayed: April 2016, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Hostal Sue Candelaria

Reviewed 9 May 2016 via mobile

10/10 Internet and great tv room to chill out. Good laundry service and comfy beds. Kitchen is well equipped and clean. Ping pong table and bar. Very central and 1 min walk to walking tour start. Hammocks available also. FYI Suburb around can be a little unsafe at night so don't walk alone and dinner options after 9pm are limited

Stayed: May 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 May 2016

I had a lovely experience at this simple but charming hostel located in the fabulous neighborhood of La Candelaria. I felt very well-taken care of by the team of kind, helpful and knowledgeable women who run the place. They very much want all guests to feel at home and they always took the extra step, i.e. walking me to a place instead of just giving me directions.
I am a solo female traveler who likes privacy but also the hostel setting and affordability, so I took a private room with private bath, reserved beforehand. The accommodations were simple but very comfortable. The team likes to do daily cleanings and were always checking in with me to see if I needed anything, i.e. an extra towel, etc.
Breakfast is quite nice and the coffee flows all day. Guests are allowed to use the kitchen to cook their own meals or store food in the hostel's refrigerator if they like.
The hostel has a bar area with tables and computers for guests to use. Don't be alarmed about the ping-pong table, it's off-limits after 11:00pm.
Overall, I was very pleased with my stay here and would highly recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: April 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank MSnellings
Reviewed 1 May 2016

My partner and I stayed in Hostal Sue in both the dorm and a private room, after the staff accidentally double booked our dorm beds and kindly offered us an upgrade as an apology. The hostel is basic, but has everything you would want: comfortable beds, kitchen, guest lounge with warm blankets (it gets cold in Bogota!), hot showers and breakfast included. In the lounge there is a tv and a selection of films available. There is also a ping pong table which you aren't allowed to play after 10pm so people trying to sleep don't have to put up with the noise. The staff were always really nice, but they didn't speak much English so speaking Spanish would help if you can. The bar is open each day but this isn't really a party hostel.

• Stayed: April 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 April 2016 via mobile

We arrived to find that our room had been double booked. It took some time to get it sorted out and they accommodated us.
The brekky was a shambles. It was not clear where brekky was to be served, what time (started late the first day), and the food was really poor. I know we were in colombia but they served is coffee without asking then when we received our tea we only got one of them, not for my partner. We got sent to a fairly seedy area when trying to walk to the candle festival. The staff did however try their best and they went to the effort of a bday treat for one of the other guests.

Stayed: December 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 March 2016

My partner and I stayed here for 3 nights in March 2016 during our first trip to Bogota. We had a private room that was definitely cozy, but it was clean, comfortable, and had a private bathroom. Breakfast was included daily and was totally pleasant, and they included a different fresh juice everyday which was awesome! The hostel is in a 300 year old building with a charming courtyard. The staff was friendly and responsive at all times (we were not making frequent requests, but do make sure you ask for towels, they are provided upon request).

When we were checking out there was a lot of traffic due to heavy rain and road construction in the area, I ordered an uber to take us to the airport but it was taking a while due to the previously mentioned factors and that google has a weird idea of where the hostel is (its about a block off for some reason), one of the women working the desk called the driver for me (my Spanish is basically nonexistent) gave the driver better directions, and waited with me out in the rain). The proprietors are lovely people in my experience, and while i would not really recommend this hostel if you are looking for super high end amenities, I do highly recommend it if you are looking to have a nice safe place in a cool area and save a buck.

The wifi was kind of poor, but it was free and we are in Colombia so I was fine with it.

• Stayed: March 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 March 2016 via mobile

A nice, relatively small, chilled hostel in the heart of La Candalaria. Staff are friendly but have limited English. The size of the hostel makes it a nice place to stay and is well suited to solo travellers. The table tennis table is a great addition but if you're trying to sleep before 12am it can be a little annoying - nothing earplugs can't handle though.

Stayed: February 2016, travelled solo