“In Asuncion, a small hotel with big effiicient service!”
Review of Portal Del Sol

Portal Del Sol
Ranked #33 of 57 Hotels in Asuncion
Reviewed 7 November 2010

<My husband and I recently stayed at this hotel with a large group who were in Asuncion to work with Operation Smile a children's charity. We were met by friendly, efficient, courteous staff who treated us to wonderful, caring helpful service for the 10 days we stayed.
Sebastian on the front desk is a gem. He is worth 10 members of staff. He was always available to set things right from lost i phones(!), to organising tour guides ( Alben our German english speaking guide who is also fantastic!) , to arranging pick ups from Ciudad del Este aiport to the Sheraton Hotel at the Igazzu Falls, to photocopying, providing local restaurant suggestions and making those restaurnat bookings! What more can I say, thank you Sebastian from your very satisfied Irish guests!
The restaurant staff were always cheerful, even when we arrived tired and hungry from the hospital late at night. The food was excellent and the service was wonderful and speedy. It was a great experience to stay in a good location, with nice people to look after us ( including the travel agency next door!) and friendly faces after long but rewarding days work! Thank you Portal del Sol, we will be back again!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
3  Thank Dublinlass

Reviewed 7 October 2009

I stayed two nights in Sept. 09 and was perfectly pleased. The service could not have been better in every way: the rooms, the chauffer, the front desk and the dining staff were all excellent. However, it is older and "rustic". Maybe just a touch too old and rustic. A colleague couldn't get a room on the day of our arrival, and stayed nearby at Los Alpes, just a short walk away. That hotel turned out to be much newer, brighter, with more services and lower cost. It did not, however, provide airport shuttle.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank coachhouse
Reviewed 21 August 2009

We stayed at the Pontal Del Sol for several days before returning to the USA. The room was comfortable and well appointed. I especially appreciated the free computers in the lobby which allowed us to directly communicate with our family back in the US. Also, the breakfast bufferts were excellent. I would have no reservations in returning there on our next trip to Paraguay.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 February 2009

The Portal del Sol was a good, simple, hotel ok for one night in business, maybe two, but no more than that. Although most of the front desk managers were very friendly, some were definetely not. I was quite surprised to see most of them spoke: German - I guess it is big with German tourists-.

We had a comfortable stay. The first night in a very very small room where the fleas bit me (if it happens to you demand a change of room). The rest of my stay I was put in a very nice, ample room. The food was by far much better than in most restaurants outside the hotel. It is within walking distance of a wine bar and far enough from the city center -which is ugly and dangerous-.

Some of the guests told me they saw a huge mouse running from an "open area" -which the hotel has quite a few of- to some trees near the pool. Mmm yikes! When I contacted the front desk about it, they immediately went to see and behaved very nicely.

Did I mention the food? Plenty! Well made. It was well worth it. Good wine selection. I actually asked to see the cook -along another guest I did not know- and we tipped her. Overall OK.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank berenjenas
Reviewed 6 January 2008

We stayed in this hotel for over a week and it was a great place to stay. The rooms were very comfortable and the place was spotless. The breakfast buffet was very tasty and the staff was really helpful. The rates were also very reasonable. The hotel is located in a pretty quiet neighborhood, but it is within walking distance of where many buses can take you downtown, to the bus terminal or to the suburban areas. I would strongly recommend staying in this hotel to anyone going to Asunción.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank yty_moroti
Reviewed 20 June 2007

We stayed here for 4 days in May 2007. The location is in a nice quiet neighborhood. The gardens were nice and there was a small pool. The rooms are OK... Lots of storage space, average size room and bathroom..,. Nothing fancy at all but the mattresses are orthopedic and quite comfortable.
The owners are German and lots of the decor and knick knaks indicate that.
Breakfast had a great fruit selection but cold eggs and nothing else too special. We had a buffet dinner one night but it wasn't very good at all.
Reception tried being helpful but didn't always come through with special requests.
Internet was always available and free but in the lobby.
For the price, you can't go wrong.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Jocaloda
Reviewed 19 June 2005

I just stayed in the Portal del Sol for the second time in six months. It is an outstanding value. The rooms are immacutely clean, very comfortable, and have just a touch of local flavor. The included breakfast buffet is excellent. Although English is limited, the staff go out of their way to please. The courtesy airport pick-up and drop-off is a real plus. The hotel is located in one of the nicest residential neighborhoods of Asuncion, within blocks of the major mall and the new Sheraton. [If you need a downtown location, this is not the place.] I rate it Above Average as an outstanding value and a very comfortable and pleasant place to stay. I am one of three associates in my office who frequently travel to Asuncion and we keep coming back to the Portal del Sol.

• Stayed: May 2005, travelled on business