US$138
  • Restaurant
US$104
US$96
Hotels.com
All reviewsoverwater bungalowday tripperssea snakesbuffet lunchmarine lifejet skinew caledoniatropical fishpiece of paradiseturtles swimmingminute boat ridelow tideilot maitreyour likingclamskite surfingcruise ship
Reviewed June 5, 2012

We stayed in the overwater bungelows for 3 nights. The weather could have been better but we still went snorkelling/swimming around the island. There are many varieties of fish - we saw reef sharks, turtles, octopus, tropical fish and only a little coral, (Great Barrier Reef is much better) It was also the low season so not too many tourists around which we liked. The swimming pool wasnt heated so no-one was using it. The service was great, nothing was a problem even when we decided to change our transfer time at the last minute. The food was great and plentiful. Dinner Buffets are a bit expensive but the range was extensive, and alot of variety. Even when there werent alot of people there was still a wide range of choices. Drinks also a bit pricey $11AUD for a beer, $16 non-alchoholic cocktail and $50 half bottle white French wine. We didnt mind paying because we were on holidays and it was good. We also picked up snacks from the mainland for lunch on the advise of other travellers which helped.
We were surprised that being only a 3 hour flight from Sydney, English isnt widely spoken. It is mainly French. The hotel staff speak fluent English but taxi drivers, shop attendents or room service do not speak much English, I had to use my high school French to get by at times. On the whole we really enjoyed our short stay here, the over water bungelows are a must, they are spacious and comfortable. If I was to go back i would go when it is guaranteed hot weather.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank daniela62
Reviewed May 8, 2012

My husband and I came here for our first wedding anniversary.. It was amazing.... We had great service the whole 6 days we were there.... I was a bit worried as a lot of people say the french are rude but we had nothing but extremely helpful french people... Yes I wont lie the food on the island is very expensive as you have no choice to eat else where but we didnt worry to much as it was our first wedding anniversary and wanted to splurge... We stayed in an over water bungalow the whole time we were there, everything about the bungalow was amazing loved being able to walk down the stairs into the water, we had turtles at our bungalow every day which made it fun, we did jet skiing, snorkling and la Padalo ( a water bike thing =) ) snorkling gear was included in our stay however jet skiing and water bike wasnt which was expensive but aww well you are on holidays you should try and enjoy as much as possible... Sad to read other people did not have a good experience like we did.. We honestly had no issues at all at this resort and I would recommend 110% for people to go and see this amazing part of the world... most breath taking place.... The only issue we had was the airline broke my bag which they then replaced for me.... I would love to go back and see the Island of Pines as that is meant to be more beautiful than L'Escapade... Very disappointed that we did not get to go to The lighthouse.. We went on a Jet Ski tour out to an island the water was breath taking... If I recommended anything it is to book ur activities before you go... as that was the issue we had with trying to see the lighthouse that all their tours to the lighthouse were booked out as you needed to book in advance... =(

9  Thank Olivia S
Reviewed April 19, 2012

Room was not clean or comfortable, staff slack, food and drink totally overpriced and the rude shock came when asked to pay for transport that was not provided and slugged for using the shuttle from Noumea for which there is no other option short of using your own boat or a water taxi perhaps.

Don't be fooled by other reviews, look elsewhere if you want value. The room rates may be attractive but judging by the very low attendance customers are staying away in droves. There were 20 eaters for the buffet in total on our last night. (Seats about 200). I can't figure out why they did not tell us that guests get a discount off the posted rate for the overpriced buffet (for which there was no alternative, by the way except for bringing in your own food). But if we knew there was a guest discount before checkout time we may have been more inclined to eat there. That said the food was not great.

On the upside if you want to kitesurf it's probably the best spot around. But don't expect any free amenities at the activities desk as it is privately owned and you even have to pay for snorkels and fins. Funny that the kitesurfers don't say there. They must know something.

Room Tip: Anse Vata is a better location with many more choices to eat, activities, transport.
4  Thank Russell B
Reviewed April 18, 2012

We loved the resort it was stunning..... It was a real treat for us as this was the only holiday that we went on and left my son at home with my parents........

As it was an adults only holiiday we made the most of it and chose to stay on overwater bungalow: it met and exceeded our expectations see our photos :))

The service however was horrible: they were rude, would take ages to bring meals to room (over 2 hrs), no service at the bar, pool was closed for the whole 7 days we were there- it didn't matter to us as we could jump off our balcony into the crystal waters of the ocean but boy or boy were some families with young children annoyed.......

The locals from Noumea would catch the ferry from the mainland to hog all the gorgeous pool deck chairs at 7 am in the morning and the paying guests at this resort would be treated like second class citizens.....

Luckily for us we kept to ourselves: therefore had our own private balcony on the deck of the bungalow and the ocean.... It was seriously faster for us to walk to the kitchen and get the food ourselves......

The snorkelling on this island has been the best in the word we have seen and we have been to Fiji, Vanuatu, Bora Bora...... Snorkelling is a must!!

Overall loved the resort and the beauty of it....... Service Poor

Would I stay here again? Only if I could afford an overwater bungalow and keep to myself......

To be honest my husband and I are constant travellers and were appauled by the service..... they really did have a get stuffed attitude which was a real shame for such a pretty place.....

Maybe it was just me and I was expecting to get the same treatment as Bora Bora, Fiji and Vanuatu

Room Tip: Choose overwater bungalow cas you can isolate yourself from the snubby french workers at this resort!!
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Sandra12blue
Reviewed April 13, 2012

We had an overwater bungalow, which was fantastic. These bungalows have an amazing view out over the lagoon (especially at sunset) and your own steps into the water. There are free snorkels so you can explore the island and see all of the pretty fish. My bf was very excited about all of the jets in the shower!

This resort is sadly let down by the service (or lack of it - particularly from the bar and restaurant. Reception was great). Bad business move too - we would've spent a lot more if the staff actually served people.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for a overwater bungalow
5  Thank Kimmmmmm