Lowest prices for your stay
US$150
Free cancellation until 21-07-03
Booking.comUS$150
PricelineUS$150
eDreamsUS$150
All reviews coco de mer bedroom bungalow cool breeze gerry town resort vanuatu transport paradise
Selected filters
Reviewed November 24, 2019

The restaurant at Island Magic is called CoCo De Mer. The setting is lovely but the food is average and the service is barely that.
They have a specials board which is good for some extra options without such a high price tag. But like everywhere in Vanuatu, the price doesn't reflect the quality and it's really just ok.
We asked about swimming from their beach and the waitress seemed about to say no; it was only for guests and diners, and realised we were diners. In the end we didn't stay anyhow because it's a bit rocky.
The view over the bay was lovely and there was a nice breeze and not many people around. Apparently a lot of people stay there long term.
They charge 4% credit card surcharge, so try to take cash.

Date of stay: November 2019
Reviewed November 9, 2019

Esme and I are a retired elderly couple who have visited Vanuatu about 20 time staying here for our 7th visit where we spent most of our time having visited all the spots many times and just needed time in the sun after a lousy NZ winter.
The quiet relaxed atmosphere suits us well with the 1 bedroom bungalow meeting all our needs.Well appointed very clean and secure close to the sea.
The staff treat us like family and all our thanks must go to them .We enjoyed the service of the restaurant Co Co De Mee and have returned home to an enforced diet the food is of a very high standard with very generous portions and any requests off the menu are met by the chef including Cheese cake and a beautiful Lemon meringue tart. When the restaurant is closed we enjoyed the frozen meals that we popped into the microwave
Brian arrived with a couple of infected fingers that deteriorated so medical assistance ,transport was quickly put in place to remedy the situation many thanks Gerry and Jan now completely recovered.
Yes it is a twenty or so minute travel into town but transport is quickly available and presents no problems at all so please read the resorts description prior to booking you will not be disappointed.

Room tip: When booking specify your requirements
Date of stay: October 2019
Geraldine S, General Manager at Island Magic Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 10, 2019

Hi Esme and Brian,

Thank you for the excellent review., we will pass your comments on to our staff. We are happy in the knowledge that we were able to make your stay in Vanuatu a wonderful one, and hope to see you back sometime in the future.

Reviewed October 11, 2019

Island Magic was the perfect location for relaxing and rest. The location has it's pros and cons. It is 20 minutes from town and the last 5 minutes is along a 2km dirt road which was very bumpy until it was graded in the last 2 days. But, it is away from all the hustle and bustle and right by the water (not the lagoon) and if the wind is down the snorkelling out the front of the jetty is pretty good (warning the wind is down early in the morning, so be prepared to get up around 6am). Gerry is a great manager who is great with the guests and only too happy to help with anything. The restaurant is better than the average resort hotel with many many tasty dishes and one Sunday we had the Indonesian Feast which was amazing. If you don't hire a car be prepared to pay a driver 400 vatu each person, but Nono is the most beautiful person, a great driver and is worth every cent and more. He is ever reliable too which is important. He got up at 4am to drive us to the airport. Also being self contained you save on eating out, which is not as cheap as you would expect, basically being around Aussie prices. Gardner Joe was also great, he took us to his home in Mele Village and showed us around, provided a great insight into how the locals lived. A wonderful man and tour. He is a credit to Island Magic.

Room tip: Would choose an Oceanfront room as opposed to Oceanview as the views are pretty nice.
Date of stay: October 2019
Geraldine S, General Manager at Island Magic Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2019

Hi Guys,

Reviewed September 27, 2019

I was very happy with my stay here. I was here for a holiday and to experience some of what Vanuatu had to offer. I based my booking upon earlier reviews I had read. I value peace and quite when I travel and this is what I got which I would not have had if I stayed downtown. If you are like me and are looking for a place where you want to feel cared for and valued as a guest, then this a good place to book. Gerry went above and beyond to look after me. From organising transport, or organising meals in advance depending on arrival times/closures, to helping me seek treatment for an injury I acquired when out and about. It is the personal touch that makes the magic happen (Pun totally intended). I would much rather have an authentic experience at a place like Island Magic rather than in a big resort where you are just a number and no one knows you personally. The staff here all went above and beyond to look after me. Everyone would stop and chat if you wanted too. This sort of accommodation is best if you are staying for several days or even more long term. Having facilities in the bungalows is really helpful and not to be under rated. It is easy to organise a driver to get into town, so this was not much of an issue for me personally. Thanks to No-no for driving me about. Also thanks to Jo for taking me to Mele village to meet his family and share some Kava. I will remember this experience fondly. My stay was also good as I got to share several meals with other long term residents/guests in the area and to have a good chat about the island and learn from them (Hi Uncle Terry - thanks for the chinese food night). If you want to be right in the middle of it all, then this is not the place for you, but then that's what gives this location it intrinsic value. Would definitely stay again.

Room tip: Wifi works best on the Patio, the metal mosquito mesh on the windows blocks the signal somewhat in spots. (Faraday Cage)
Date of stay: September 2019
Geraldine S, Manager at Island Magic Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2019

Thank you so much for your great review. I will tell the staff too as they are all trying to do their best to make the guest as comfortable as possible. We really would like to have you back here again in the future. Have a great festive season back home. Geraldine

Reviewed September 22, 2019

My mistake. The reviews looked pretty good but I did not read them thoroughly. There seemed to be other resorts and tourist attractions nearby, so I assumed that there would be shops and restaurants too. There are no shops anywhere within reasonable walking distance. There is a restaurant in the resort but it was closed for dinner Sunday and Monday, which I thought was pretty bad considering the lack of nearby alternatives. The resort is nearly 2 km (ignore the signpost that says 1 km) down a rough dirt road so getting a bus or a taxi to the resort was not very easy.

Gerry, the manager, was very friendly and helpful and I cannot fault her efforts. Despite this, I would not stay here again and would not recommend it to anyone unless they have their own transport.

Our bungalow was right by the beach and, if the weather had been good, it would have been a nice spot. Our bungalow was large and pleasant, although showing it’s age. It was not entirely clean. The bungalow was clearly set up for self-catering with a large fridge, 4-burner stove, oven, microwave, etc. That would be perfect for anyone with their own transport, able to travel to the shops to buy supplies. OK, we could have rented a car for the week but that would have worked out to be pretty expensive; car hire is not cheap in Vanuatu. The wifi in the resort is free but is totally unreliable; on the intermittent occasions that it worked, it was pathetically slow.

I would not pay the price for Island Magic that is shown on various booking sites but we got a good package deal through Expedia. Even so, the isolation really detracted from our holiday and was a big price to pay for the good deal.

Date of stay: September 2019
Geraldine S, Manager at Island Magic Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2019

Hi Ron,

Thank you for your review., we will pass your comments on to our team.
We are sorry that your stay was not to your liking, and hope that you are more successful in your destination selection in the future.