“great french food”

Ranked #20 of 97 Restaurants in Port Vila
Price range: US$12 - US$35
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: The typical French Restaurant in Vila since 1973Well known for it's tender grilled steaks,it's delicacies such as fresh-water prawns flambe,coconut crab, lobsters, wild pigeon and it's famous marinated flying fox in red wine.
Reviewed January 13, 2018

Just love traditional french food, nothing more traditional than snails, lobster and profiteroles. You can feel the love in the food when it is served

Reviewed January 11, 2018

We came here twice during our week in Vanuatu as we were staying nearby at the Ramada. This was much better, in our view, than the restaurant at the Ramada. From the Ramada it is a short walk, although the road is dark so a torch or a light app on your phone would be a good idea. On arrival you walk into a dark bar style area with a pool table dominating the room. We asked for a non-smoking table and got taken to an area which was well let and very pleasant. As others have mentioned, they promote the work of a local artist and his work is very dominant in the room. Both nights that we were there the service was pleasant, efficient and effective. The owner was one of the people serving. All of the food that we had was very good and the price quite reasonable (particularly compared to the Ramada). Over the two meals, I had a pizza and a lobster thermidor which were both very good. If you want a dramatic dish, order the flambe prawns which are flamed at the table. I would certainly recommend this is if you are in the area.

Reviewed January 8, 2018

This restaurant is fabulous. It's from another era with paintings on the wall for sale. Clement has been running this restaurant for 40 years. I had the lobster and when 3 huge half lobsters turned up on my plate I was in heaven. The brandy alexanders are to die for and shaken at your table. Must have the french onion soup as a starter. A real olde worlde experience and definitely worth it. Good value for money too.

Reviewed January 4, 2018 via mobile

I came in the Houstalet restaurant for my last meal before flying back home.
I have choose it because it says "vegetarian friendly" which obviously it is not.
A vegetarian pizza and spaghetti with veggies are the only 2 options on the menu.
The owner of the restaurant came to my table to ask me what i wanted i said that i was vegetarian and asked what he could recommanded to me. His answer was very sharp some veggies! So i end up ordering a got cheese salad and ask if i could get a gratin of potatoes that was in the meat section.
Obviously nothing is for vegetarian especially when you come to this pricy restaurant selling itself stating there are in the market for 40 years.
A simple green salad (not to speak about the old pieces of salad in my plate) with 2 toasted pieces of bread and half of a goat slice cheese! See picture!
No need to come in a nice restaurant to end up with this on the table! And why saying " vegetarian friendly?"

Reviewed January 3, 2018

If we hadn't been told about this restaurant by some expats we probably would have just gone by. It doesn't look anything fancy but makes up for it with great food and good service. The lobster was a really generous serving and the steak really well cooked.
It is really well priced and was our favourite place to eat during our stay.