Hideaway Island Resort & Marine Sanctuary
  • Pool
Moorings Hotel(Port Vila)
  • Breakfast included
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsdive shopday trippersthe underwater post officehideaway islandtwin sharedive sitesdive crewfishmele villagenight divepost boxmelanesian feastcurryglass bottom boatbeach bargreat divingopen water
Reviewed August 22, 2012

Rain Rain --- and it was doing exactly the same in NZ !! I have stayed at this resort several times, was a great welcome , which surprised my husband! I have generally stayed with my son. The bungalows are spacious , but 9 was a bit cold at this time of the year, excellent for summer. Wide views across the sea and I enjoyed looking at the regrown coral below our rooms. So often missed by day visitors, it was a real pleasure to step carefully and watch life on this reef. The coconut curry is a must, both the chicken and beef, yum. We were there during some pretty wild weather, but the staff still made sure we could get to the mainland, despite difficulties with stairs and loading ramp washed out . My only annoyance - people were not in the mood for oz barbecues, or Melanesian nights, the weather was NOT conducive to this type of evening entertainment, like many others we went over to the Beach front Cafe, to enjoy the wide screen tv coverage of the Olympic Games, protected from the worst of the elements. The Island is great when it is warm and sunny , but cannot just rely on guests being happy when they have several days of cold rain. Staff are friendly, but they can only do so much - some improvements are required. From previous stays the kayaks are great, but hard to launch and retrieve, not user friendly. This resort has been relying too much on the reef, but my mattress needed replacing, I could feel a spring! I know upgrading is ongoing, but this is not back packer accommodation, not in the bungalows. Love the spaciousness, light well decorated rooms, but some attention to lighting required in our unit.

Room Tip: Summer time - ocean views, private and cool winds. Winter go for the front beach, noticeably warmer and sunnier.
Reviewed August 18, 2012

From the time we first arrived, we knew we had made the right decision.The oceanside bungalow we chose was 5 metres away from the waters edge. great verandah and a double hammock to enjoy private tranquility. The main beach was a short 3 minute walk where snorkeling was enjoyed from right on the beach. we spent hours just watching the underwater action. food was of very good quality and about $15 for a main meal for dinner and about $10 for lunch. Drinks were $12 cocktail, $5 spirit and $4 Beer. happy hour 4.30 - 6 Pm every night means $6 cocktail $4 spirit and $3 beer. Staff were fantastic and extremely friendly. nothing was to much trouble.
Included in price is breakfast, snorkel safari, glass bottom boat, sailing, paddle board and snorkeling gear everyday and village tour on wednesday.
Best holiday ever will be back

Room Tip: Bungalows can sleep 4
2  Thank Hudson1967
Reviewed August 17, 2012

This is possibly the best holiday I have EVER experienced!!

All the staff learn your name from the beginning and amazingly remember it for the whole time.

Everyone is so friendly and willing to do what ever it takes to make your stay as enjoyable as possible (Thankyou to Nancy and the Reception staff).

The scuba dive staff are great and highly professional!! (Big thanks to Kevin, Niech, Joka, and Jim, and all the other guys). Do your research before you come of the dive sites and they are more than happy to accomodate for any requests you may have. I can recommend West Side Story, The Wall, and the wreck The Auroura)

Sylvia, Veronic and the bar staff make the best cocktails, especially at happy hour (which goes for 1.5 hours actually), and are more than happy to cater for any requests for meals that you may have.

Rooms are serviced daily, and the staff even go as far as folding clothes you may have left lying around.

The Mele Village walk with Mary is a must, as is Kava Tasting!!

This is not a 5 Star resort by any means, so if you are looking for gold trimmings dont come here.

If you are looking for value for money, friendly staff, and a relaxed and fun atmosphere, with coral reefs for snorkelling off the beach (containing numerous schools of tropical fish including the infamous clown fish), and numerous scuba dives sites no more than 20min boat ride, then Hideaway Island will be your parradise.

I stayed 7 nights with my Fiance, in total including return airfares and private transfer to and from Baurfield Airport, meals and drinks, and numerous cocktails, with 11 scuba dives, and some souveniers from the gift shop, we were out of pocket just under $4000 AU. Now is that value for money for an overseas trip or what!?

1  Thank Nathan C
Reviewed August 9, 2012

We stayed 4 nights at Hideaway in an ocean bungalow. Our room was huge (big enough for a family of 4), clean and with a gorgeous view. The resort is not 5 star so go somewhere else if you are looking for luxury but we loved it as it was relaxed with friendly fun staff who went out of their way to be helpful. We loved that the staff are all from the Mele village. The snorkelling off the beach was excellent, with 1000s of brightly coloured fish nibbling my toes even as I sat on the edge putting on my fins!!! The coral is damaged which is a shame but there are still some pretty pockets. The underwater post office looks a bit worse for wear however. The food was pretty good and the location is great - only 10 mins from town. The Mele Beach Bar opposite provided an excellent night out with a big screen for rugby lovers and superb fire dance display.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank JaneMacG
Reviewed July 29, 2012

We have just arrived home from Hideaway. We stayed for 8 nights in a ocean bungalow. I must admit I was slightly worried about what we would find as some of the reviews on here had not been very praising of the accomodation or the food. My mind was put at rest as soon as I arrived. Staff were there to greet us and had no worries about grabbing our heavy luggage and taking it to the reception area. There was a large group of us - 14 in total and this included our kids. Check in was simple and fast and a large tray of icy cold drinks were given to us which we loved as the weather was humid and we were tired. A busy group of male staff then grabbed all of our bags and we were all taken to our bungalows. Our bungalow was very clean and there were lovely fresh flowers though-out the room. It was an elevated position which offered fantastic water views, the ocean breeze drifted through the double doors from the balcony. The bungalow was large with a separate bedroom and double bed. 2 single beds were in the other room as well as a lounge and dining setting. All the doors locked and there was a safe in the room to store valuables. All of the windows were fully screened which put my mind at ease as I was worried about mosquitos. In saying that we did not see one mosquitio the whole time we were there !! The room was cleaned from top to bottom each day and all bathroom towels were replaced daily. My only complaint which is very minor - the shower head in the bathroom could do with being replaced. We had hot water the whole time and the toilets all flushed. The whole vibe on the island was very relaxed and welcoming and nothing was any trouble for the staff. The restaurant and bar area is located right on the beach and this was what made our holiday. Chill out with a drink and good food, all very simple. Loved the food, the prices were great and the cocktails were supurb. Happy hour every afternoon and different events were offered to us such as theme night dinners and beach movies. The kids loved this and they were all given a big bowl of popcorn. The water, the snorkelling and diving were mind blowing and Hideaway exceeded my expectations ! The island is located a short bus ride away from town, probably around 10 mins and there was always transport available to us. It costs about 3.00 AUD each person to take the trip into town centre. Overall - I would go back to Hideaway in a heartbeat - in fact our whole group are planning to return next year and this is the only place we will stay. If you want 5 star luxury you would be better off in a flashy resort but I could do that here in Australia. Hideaway is authentic, relaxed and the best place to get the real feel of Vanuatu, even the continental breakfast was great, loads of it and the fresh fruit tasted unlike anything I have ever had in Australia. I could write forever but to finish it all off - DO IT - go to Hideaway, I really recommend it !!!!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family