Lowest prices for your stay
US$189
View deal
Hotels.com
Travelocity
Orbitz.com
eDreams
All reviews island night three bedroom bedroom villa beach front local staff spent nights lagoon pools bus tours accommodation town vanuatu resort locals feast supermarket
Selected filters
Reviewed March 15, 2020

it was amazing and had such a lovely time here. the locals were the best and made the experience worth while. I was sad to see the manager tell off one of the staff in front of us and treat them so horribly after they were only trying to be helpful to us as guests. the local staff were what made our stay amazing plus the beautiful views. for some reason it seemed the manager didn't like the staff be friendly and helpful to the guests. the locals where nice to us which we loved. I would stay again and support the locals any day. best experience.

Date of stay: March 2020
Reviewed February 6, 2020

(Just noticed previous review didn’t load properly so doing again).

Our son & I left hubby at home and enjoyed a vacation in Vanuatu this January. We stayed at Poppy’s.
Admittedly, I googled reviews before leaving & was getting a little stressed on the quality of the resort before arrival.

However, our experience was much different to others.

We found the staff, from receptionist, to gardeners & house keeping, ALL friendly, helpful & like part of the extended family. They remember your names from Day 1 & always great you with a huge beautiful smile.

Yes, if you stay in the studios, there is a bit of a walk down/up a stair case to get to the restaurant/car park/main area of the resort. I think we counted 48 steps. If you aren’t good with steps, I suggest you book a room close to the main area when booking. We were fine. The days we had to carry our luggage, the friendly staff took picked us up in a golf cart to help us out.

Our room was perfect to our needs. No issues with water heating/air con & room was clean & looked after well. Bedding was very comfortable. View was awesome!

It’s a small, personal resort. So I guess that’s the big difference. That’s what we loved about it.

If you are looking for all the things a massive 5 star resort offers, rather than a personal relaxing & calm experience, then perhaps Poppy’s is not right for you.

Thank you Poppy’s for treating us so well. From the welcome drink on arrival, relaxing environment (when we weren’t out busily exploring Vanuatu), to the boat tour down the Lagoon, the non-motorised water equipment available, the cultural show and feast - we thought it all was fantastic.

Sarah & Benji

Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed January 20, 2020 via mobile

I have to admit after reading some of the most recent reviews of Poppy's I was a little nervous about our stay. Gladly I can report that these fears were unfounded!

We stayed as 2 mums with 5 teens between us, in a 3 bedroom villa which was equipped with 5 beds. We were told on arriving not to lift a finger - leave the dishes in the sink for the cleaner to do, and just relax - music to our ears!

We thoroughly enjoyed the use of the adult and infinity pools, generally finding we were the only people at the pool when we were there. The view from the infinity pool is stunning, however the pool itself is a little tricky to find - ask a staff member to show you.

Kayaking equipment was used daily and easy to access. Kayaking up and down the lagoon is a great experience. You'll see lots of locals going about their daily routine, with friendly smiles and waves shared. No the lagoon is not good for swimming /snorkeling so get out and catch a bus somewhere. Efate has many beautiful beaches and easily accessible islands to explore.

The restaurant was good, the poulet fish and the banana crepes being particular favourites. The Chinese menu was comprehensive and well executed and seemed to come out quicker as well. Yes orders sometimes took a long time. And the pizzas were super cheesy.

I never had a problem sourcing a member of staff when needed nor anything I required. One day I requested snorkels only to discover sets lent out to customers had not been returned. The next day there was a big box of newly purchased snorkels available.

Yes the staff, particularly Alan, will talk to you about putting a tour together. My advice is to do it!!! We went to Pele Island as a group of 5 for 35,000 vatu. The cost of going through a tour company was 12000 per person. The only appreciable is us with equipment including full face snorkels and flippers. We also had a beautiful lunch, afternoon tea, and were taken out 400m from the shore by boat on a guided snorkel which was AMAZING!

WiFi was available at the restaurant or sitting in reception. Could be slow at times but seriously, you're on holiday. The world will continue to function if you're not connected with super high speed.

Yes there is a settlement/shanty of locals on the neighbouring land. This does not affect you in any way and guess what? It's their country! If you take the time to give a smile and a wave when you kayak past, which is the only time you'll see them, you'll be rewarded in spirit.

Island night was interesting and fun, loads of food and kava tasting is always an experience.

Poppy's is not a big international resort but it is a lovely place to relax and spend a holiday. Remember that Vanuatu is not a developed modern country, and keep this in context balanced with a little humility and patience and you'll have a great experience in this beautiful country.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank Claire H
Reviewed January 10, 2020 via mobile

Where do I start? We are a family travelling with 2 adults and 4 children. We arrived at the airport to have no transfer there waiting for us, luckily a man who usually does their transfers was there and helped us get to the resort. Once we arrived we were told they did not have our booking, they had actually booked us in for November the 30th instead of December so they did not have our rooms available. We had booked and paid for 2 x 2 bedroom apartments. The staff basically shrugged their shoulders and didn’t seem to care. I had to call flight centre to get them to fix it even though I was standing in reception! At this stage we were exhausted and hot! After around 45 mins of waiting in the heat I had to ask for our so called welcome drink! Mind you another couple booked in while we were waiting and they received their drink immediately! But back to the rooms. First they wanted to squeeze us in a one bedroom, then a studio and one bedroom at opposite ends of the resort. After flight enter intervened on our behalf we were moved into a 3 bedroom for one night and then moved into the originally booked apartments for the rest of our 10 day stay. I will add that flight centre gave us a refund as good gesture for $1000 to enjoy the rest of our stay. Not even a sorry from the resort!

Everything else I want to put in bullet points as their is just so much!

1. Wifi does not work anywhere other than the very small reception area (Pictured) they encourage you to buy data.

2. Staff are nowhere to be found at any time of the day. You have to hunt them down if you need anything. The restaurant also is not staffed and if you want to eat or drink you need to hunt staff down. After a few days there we found out by others staying there that their was in-fact 2 restaurants one being a Chinese restaurant. If they had of welcomed us to the resort maybe they would have told us that??

3.provisions like milk, coffee and sugar were supposed to be refilled everyday. We didn’t get our welcome pack until we had already spent 5 nights there. I had to go to the supermarket to buy our own.

4.They never had enough pool towels.

5. The JetSki was not working until the day we left.

6. The kids pool was closed off for two days so they could clean it. Both pools had broken tiles and my daughter sliced her foot. Both pools were full of debris and never scooped.

7. We paid $125 per person for new year dinner and entertainment. The food was so basic and not very nice. They advertised a cheese platter. This actually consisted of packets of shapes and some sort of cedar. The desert was so melted and non edible. Also the rest of the resort enjoyed the entertainment for free, so a huge waste of money.

8. I was almost hit with a firework. Luckily my partner was very alert and threw me to the ground. It headed straight for me. As he lit it it tilted. Another lady was burnt. No apologies from the manager or owner.

9. The rooms were full of ants. The entire apartment was infested with them.

10. We arranged a tour and were waiting for 45 mins for them to arrive, we hunted down the number of the agent and she told us that the tour had been canceled and had been trying for a full day to contact the resort to tell us without any luck.

11. They offer free use of non motorised sports. They kids really enjoyed these and used the everyday. The only down side was they didn’t have enough paddles for them.

12. The usual body wash and shampoo that every hotel/ resort have in the bathrooms had already been opened and used.

13. The cloth they had to clean the dishes was so old and had been obviously used for many months prior to us arriving. I took it and threw it out so they had to replace it. Unfortunately they didn’t replace it and we were left with no dish cloth.

14. We were there for 10 days and the linen was not changed once. I would have expected to be changed at least once over our visit.

I could probably go on and on but I think you get the picture. I will leave you with this.
Some staff were very friendly. Some staff really were not interested at all and seemed to be annoyed if you wanted to order drinks or even food. It really turned you off wanting to get anything as it seemed like a bother. I think with the new owner he has cut staff dramatically and it has really effected the quality of customer service. We have stayed here previously around 3 years ago and the quality of the resort is the same but the staff just seemed annoyed and overworked now.

Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank SarahG363
Reviewed January 9, 2020

Apparently Poppy’s on the Lagoon is now Chinese owned, which was disappointing to learn. Breakfast was overseen by a quiet unfriendly Chinese man who always sat at the same table removed from everyone else & watched from beginning to end.
The gardens & setting at Poppy’s were lovely. The staff were locals, really nice & friendly and helpful whenever they could be. The breakfast was more than adequate, though availability of certain items was a bit hit & miss on a daily basis.
Our apartment was nice but old & the kitchen could be better equipped. We asked to borrow certain items. The kitchen, its equipment & bathrooms are badly in need of replacement/update/renovation.
Unfortunately the location of Poppy’s on the Lagoon made it difficult to take an easy stroll into town as it is a steep uphill walk to the main road. However, local buses are easy to catch when you get to the road.
Nights were always disturbed by barking & fighting dogs nearby.

Room tip: Be sure you choose a room in the location you want
Date of stay: December 2019