New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #35 of 47 Hotels in Port Vila
Melbourne, Australia
“Great choice!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2011

Hotel has a great location: At the oceanfront (however no sand beach), very quiet because outside of the city (but buses to the city pass by every couple of minutes) and away from the road. Our room had aircon and a small kitchen (that we didn't use). Every room has a small terrace with table/chairs. Moreover, there are hammocks and a swimmingpool.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Port Douglas, Qld
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2010

Family run motel units with kitchen and bathroom. I stayed in 4berth dorm at very affordable rate for bed The short driveway is a shock but inside is a treat. This time of year is ideal. The breeze comes in off the sea first thing. Free wireless Internet. Daily clean. Personal service by Korean hosts.

• Stayed November 2010
1 Thank Basketeer
Mermaid Waters, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2010

I totally agree that the bad review was unfair. For people wanting 5 star resort accommodation they should stay elsewhere and pay the price for 5 star resort accommodation. For $40 per night for a room for 3 people, with a kitchen, waterfront accommodation and someone that cleans you room for you I just cannot imagine that unmatching cutlery or whatever would be a problem. The use of the English language can also be misguiding ... handing a key over can be called "shoving a key at me" if you are a disgruntled customer. Solomon and his wife and all staff were always pleasant and helpful. Reading the other reviews it seems that Solomon and his wife have also been pleasant and helpful to the other guests also.
I have booked to go back next week and love the convenience of being close enough to town, the bus was so cheap it was ridiculous...but great...but far enough away to enjoy the island life as the township of Port Vila itself is not so pretty, besides the harbour of course.
It was so close to Breaker's and to Erakor Island where you get a free boat across to enjoy their resort and snorkelling and close to Irriki Island to enjoy snorkelling and a cocktail by the pool there with also a free boat ride across. I love it all!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank heather659076
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2010

Just spent 16 nights @ a very affordable $43/night motel...I chose this motel for several reasons...
One being it is so close to Breakas surf break and other surf breaks...About a 10 minute coastal walk to Breakas yielded to me some fine surfing action...
Rubbish has now been removed from entrance track to motel...This accomodation was perfect for us because it had a kitchenette which we made full use of,cooking our own meals most every night meant my wallet was much thicker when we left because of this reason.
I dreamt beautiful dreams every night due to the fact that the oceans waves lulled me off into a deep slumber...Fantastic location....!!
Solomon is building a restaurant and living quarters upstairs for his children which is situated next to his abode and will be ready by August....Mostly Thai food will be the order of the day which will be delivered from a new Thai restaurant in Vila Mall.We're sorry we missed this opportunity...
The wonderful aromas coming from the bakery behind the motel was so wonderful as you walked the track...However,the bread is quite sweet....
Yes..There is coral and rocks out front of the motel as there is all over the island..Efate,especially Port Vila is not big on long sprawling sandy beaches we noticed..
However,shell fossicking amongst the coral at low tide was a great little pastime and mixing it with the locals also fossicking was fun....
Unfortunately the pool was a little too cool to use tho' it was always kept clean by Solomon....Who,I might add went out of his way to help us out many a time...
A little tip:Take a toaster,can opener and egg flipper...That's if you decide to cook as we did....What a pleasant surprise,Our room lady,Mary washed up all our dirty dishes too...!!
Great to see Mary's smiling face everyday except Sunday.....
Anyway,to sum it up,we thought why stay at an expensive resort when you can have just as much fun in a cheapie a stones throw from the waves....
Thankyou to Solomon for carting us out to the airport when our bus did not arrive on time.
I'd recommend the Blue Pango to anyone on a budget....!!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cocotang
Gold Coast
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2009

I stayed at the Blue Pango for 5 nights in Nov 2007,but I have to respond to the 2 scathing reviews that I have just noticed about this Motel.My experience was completely the opposite to theirs.I booked directly with Solomon Lee and the daily rate was about $40AUD.He picked me up from the airport,no charge,sure his English isnt the best ,so what.He offered to stop at the supermarket for me to pick up supplies but as it was early in the day I didnt need to.Yes the motel is a little way out of town but it only took 5-10 minutes in a local mini bus to get into Port Vila.Yes the motel is down a rutted driveway but the motel is right on the waters edge,is fully fenced and there was security gaurd on duty each night.Solomon offered me the use of his lap top for e mails and I used this once.His wife was a lovely lady and let me use a desk in their unit to do my e mails.While there a local girl was teaching the Lee,s children to read and she appeared to be one of the family.The pool wasnt built when I was there so I cant comment on that.My unit was absolutely clean with fridge,gas stove and shower with hot water.It was serviced everyday by polite well spoken local staff.The workmanship is obviously local and the tiling and woodwork isnt perfect again something like that shouldnt spoil a holiday.Yes you do have to climb down some rocks to go for a swim in the sea but so does everyone on that part of the coast.If youre,into resort type holidays this place isnt for you but if like being close to the locals,cooking your own meals with produce from local shops and markets and having a quiet time then I thoroughly recomend this motel.At the end of my stay Solomon offered to drive out to the airport.

• Stayed November 2007, travelled solo
1 Thank LaneyGoldCoast
Sunshine Coast
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2009

Booked for 12 days, stayed 4. I have visited Vanuatu 9 times and this is by far the worst accommodation I have ever stayed in, anywhere.
Check In: Owner speaks little English . Pushed a key at me and pointed to room.
Room: Self contained - 2 gas rings, mismatched cutlery and plates, table and chairs, not accessible due to being close to gas rings and beside a makeshift wardrobe which was jammed up against the table and chairs. Basic bathroom, with soap container with used disgusting piece of soap. Shower curtain on a piece of wire, shower base filled up fairly quickly, had to be quick if you washed your hair or the water would overflow. Shower head almost non existant, water just ran like a tap. Room very dark, probably due to no windows, just dark louvres, some which were broken and slid down letting the wind howl through. Had to have the light on in the daytime if inside. Beds, very uncomfortable and badly made. Double bed had sheet doubled in half (only God knows why) second bed had only a fitted sheet. Pillows were cushions. Cleaning lady used one cloth to do bathroom and kitchen (not her fault if this was all she was supplied with)
Their dog barked all through the night, every night we were there, another night, other guests swearing and yelling in the middle of the night. No attempt by management to shut either the guests of their dog up.
After 4 nights decided to move out to spend the rest of our time in a very tranquil place and start enjoying our holiday. Maybe they could use this accommodation for boarding kennels instead.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Port Vila hotels

Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed at Blue Pango for 10 days and loved it!
It is right by the ocean, although there is not really a beach, but you can hear the waves and the beach isn't too far away. Also there is a large, clean swimming pool.
The rooms are just the right size and come with everthing you need - including all the kitchen stuff. They are very clean. Also there is wireless internet, which is hard to find in Vanuatu.
The location is great - it is just a short (and inexpensive) bus ride to the centre of town, where you have everything from cafes and restaurants to supermarkets and other shopping. Solomon, the owner, treated us very nicely and also took us to town in his car a couple of times, when he had to drive there anyways. He also picked us up and took us back to the airport.
All in all, we had an amazing time and the Blue Pango was just excellent value!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple