I stayed here for 11 nights with 2 other close friends. Enjoyed the stay overall. Will organise my review into a couple of categories to make easier reading.
We stayed in a 3 bed room (Room 103)- one bunk and one single that was located on the Ground floor. The single bed was without a doubt the better bed. The bunk was comfy but did creak at times. Moderately sized, ondol (heated) parquet floor so we were quite warm even though it was - 10 degrees celcius outside (although some mornings were a little too warm). 4 power sockets. Sheets and blankets were clean and comfy.
1) Well, this wasn't really bad for me but might be offsetting for older travellers or those with less strength. For this particular room, we had to go down a STEEP flight of stairs. No hassle for most part except when we had to move our luggage down and when we came back up with almost 25 kgs/ bag each. Of course, the staff do help but there is normally only one staff on duty and sometimes it is a girl or the staff may be busy.
2) The windows rattle A LOT and quite loudly. Every time a room door in the corridor is opened and shut (about 5 rooms in our corridor), the windows give off this scarily loud bang. I got used to it after a while but my cousin still got the jumps sometimes. Not the best for a light sleeper as the majority of the guests were young and were up till early morning but i think i only had 1-2 nights of disturbed sleep. Otherwise, slept throughout the night.
3) Walls are quite thin so you can hear conversations if there is a group in the room next to you. However, I only heard it some nights and there were most rooms were occupied so i think the level of sound travel depends on the guests.
4) No room service which is expected for the price. However, the rubbish bin provided was very small and we had to empty it ourselves every few days. There is a vacumn cleaner outside for communal use.
Good: Communal toilet but quite clean whenever I used it. No clogging. I saw the cleaning ahjumma (lady) giving it a good scrub down every morning. Hot water in the faucet came quite quickly. Can shower in the toilet as the tap had a shower head attached to it.
Bad: Toilet was at the beginning of the corridor and the corridor was freezing in comparison to our rooms. Only had to wait long once or twice (as there is only one toilet in our corridor). There is another toilet upstairs though, near the kitchen.
Good: 2 showers. Both showers were actually back to back with a wooden screen dividing them and entrances on opposite ends. Quite clean. No clogging or rusty/ mouldy edges. Towels provided but small ones which could be washed after every use. Again, depends heavily on the users as my cousin had some incidents with hair on the floor and drain although it was clean when i used it.
Bad: Hot water was a little unpredictable. Can be very hot but then may cool off (but not cold).
Bring your own toiletries. Hairdryer provided.
24 hour entry (they gave us the code to the door lock)
Online: Replied quickly to emails. However, price quoted on website and via email was different. Via email, we were told that the price would be higher on the weekends. However, when we got there, they only charged us the weekday price and gave us a 5% discount. We didn't argue!
Laundry: Laundry service every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Clean but make sure to mark your items especially if they are common ones such as a black tee or leggings as self collection is practiced.
Staff: Very friendly and helpful. We didn't meet Danny but met Grandfather and Danny's wife who were incredibly nice and kind. They provided us with transport service to the airport bus stop as we had a lot of luggage although it was after hours (8.30 pm). They also allowed us an early check in and charged us a double room price for the triple room for the period where only 2 of us were staying. Also allowed us to store our luggage in the living room for most of the day after we checked out.
Kitchen: Morning breakfast from 8-11 am (stated online as only 8-9 am) although no strict regulations. Juice, coffee and toast (with peanut butter or jam). Communal fridge. Hot and cold water dispenser. Cutlery, toaster, microwave, small stove with pots and pans.
Telephone: Free local calls to landline in the kitchen (not handphone) and point of contact to Danny or his staff if they aren't around.
Internet: 2 public computers. Free wifi (better than major hotels who charge for wifi per computer per day)
Quite close to the subway stop (5 minutes walk). Nearby historical sites and major city points. However, further away from the exclusive part of Seoul (ie: Gangnam, Apgujeong and the like).
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Travelocity.ca and TripOnline SA so you can book your B&J Guest House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Open Guest House Hotel Seoul