“Great homemade dumplings and noodle soup, reasonable price”

Hwangsaengga Kalguksu
Ranked #83 of 123,974 Restaurants in Seoul
Cuisines: Korean
Neighbourhood: Samcheongdong / Bukchon
Neighbourhood: Samcheongdong / Bukchon
Reviewed April 15, 2015

At the edge of Hongdae, not far from Anguk metro, lies this great restaurant that serves great homemade dumplings (made in the restaurant, right inside the entrance) and noodle soup. We arrived at the restaurant around 1240 and there was a line out to the street past the valet. If it hadn't been for the queue we might have missed it and had to turn back, I saw no sign or anything else to announced that we'd reached the right place, I guess they don't need sign really. The queue disappeared in minutes, we got a table and we're served with in less than 10 minutes of arriving. We had the jumbo dumplings, the noodle soup and the dumpling soup for two. We're not huge "eaters" but we were satisfied with both taste and portion size, well worth the price of 8000/dish.

Reviewed October 7, 2014 via mobile

Whenever we're in Seoul we eat at least ones in this restaurant. The huge mandu are the best I've ever eaten. Taste like homemade. Stuffing light and pure flavour. Delicious broth and special Kim chi in generous quantities.
The only criticism I have is that they should change the worn out flooring. With all the money they make one expects a little more attention to decoration. A bit embarrassing when you take guests with you.

Reviewed May 26, 2013

If you go there at lunch time without a reservation, chances are likely that you would have to wait in a long line. If it is your first time, the wait would be a surprise. In Korea, it is rather rare to wait a long time to be seated unless you were at a trendy place. Once you get in, the simple menu would be your second surprise. Their kalguksu (handmade noodles in beef broth) is highly recommended. Try their wang-mandu (king-size handmade steamed dumplings) while waiting for the noodle soup dish. The real surprise comes when you are served. Portions are more than generous, and the taste is right on the mark for this type of cuisine. The quality has been consistently top-notch every time I visited this restaurant.

1  Thank Victorinus
Reviewed September 12, 2012 via mobile

It is easy to overlook small restaurants especially if they do not have eye catching frontage or are tucked away among a row of several shops. I walked in on a whim and liked this place enough to visit it again when I revisited Seoul this month. The food was good on both visits, and the portions consistently generous. I had oden kalguksu when I visited last month which was served in a stone pot that kept the food warm throughout the meal - noodles in miso based soup with sliced beancurd, fish cakes, vegetables and egg. ther bland for the average diner but ok for low salt consumers like myself.

This week, I tried the Kongguksu - noodles served in chilled soymilk broth. The soymilk broth was concentrated and refreshing but the dish has only a shredded cucumber topping. I had to order an entree of mixed mandu (assorted dumplings) to go with the noodles. The latter was good value with three types of mandu including the kimchi mandu that I like.

Service is lacklustre on both visits - your side dishes remain empty unless you beckon the staff for them to be refilled.

Reviewed November 1, 2011

We found this place on our last night in Seoul, and it worked perfectly to give us a simple, single-dish meal before traveling home. The restaurant is easy to get to but hard to identify for non-Korean speakers as the signage is all in Korean. The parking attendants were very helpful and directed us into the vestibule where we were instructed to sit. We were a bit worried that the menus would also be in Korean only, but once we were seated found that they had both English and pictures.

Noodles in broth and dumpling soup--these were our choices and they were both amazing. The place was packed on a Monday night--clearly very popular--and it was inexpensive (8000 won each). Atmosphere is basic, matching the home cooking vibe of the food.

I already miss the dumplings.

Recommended.