“intriguing traditional atmosphere”

Doo guesthouse Bukchon
Ranked #51 of 999 Seoul B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 July 2015

it is a walk-able distance to the doo guesthouse. For me, i called the doo guesthouse for help, because i was having a problem with my luggage. I assure that they will do the best they can do. Secondly, the room was quiet cleaner than i expected. Also, it is a reasonable price, compared with the facilities and other service. As i mentioned the good staffs are really good. lastly, it is located close to the attractions. i would like to visit to the doo guesthouse if i have a chance. Thank you!!

Room Tip: intriguing traditional atmosphere makes you enjoyable
  • Stayed: May 2015, travelled on business

Reviewed 14 June 2015

This guesthouse was chosen by my friend, the host for my trip! Due to this was the first time we in Seoul, we would like to have an experience staying in this kind of tradition Korea house!

Nonetheless, this guesthouse does not fail us! I love this place, and there is 2 male staffs was working in this guesthouse. They are friendly and helpful! Sorry, I had forget ten their name! On the first day of arrival, it was a rainy day and there is no other guest on that day, so one of the staff had brought us to walk around that area and know what is the best foods in this area.

Let's talk about the room and bathroom. The room was clean and neat, cosy as well, but if you bring a super large luggage, it might took out a lot of space of the room. And, the bathroom was outside the room, hence preferably bring a slipper with you so you can wear it when you want to go bathroom. You will feel a bit reluctant to go out from the room to bathroom during end of autumn and winter, due to the weather was super cold!
The price of the room was quite reasonable.

Oh yea, you get the chance to wear the traditional Korea clothes and take some photos with it. It is free of charge!

• Stayed: October 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 June 2015

I chose Doo Guesthouse as it is by far the only hanok stay that I can find that allows me to stay just for 1 night and also because of the many good reviews.
However, I was extremely disappointed upon reaching the accomodation given to me.
Firstly, this place is definitely not recommended for anyone lugging around a medium to large baggage as it is exhausting trying to locate and bringing the luggage up a mini-hill with uneven steps.
I was given the directions manual prior to the trip but I must say that the estimated time given to reach the place does not even come close to what is wrtten.
No signage is put up indicating Number 1/2 hence I proceed to what I saw as the Doo Guesthouse main office. Upon reaching, staffs were not being professional, told me to head over to the other house (that has no staff) which is a 3 minutes walk (grossly exaggarated as it is definitely more than minutes walk).
I had to walk up the steps of the main office twice as I had to read some 'observation rules' and also to remind them that I have yet to make payment.

It is definitely not worth the price that I paid (90,000KRW) for 2 persons with a private bathroom.
It is not entirely clean, but that is to be expected as it is a traditional stay with old woods.
Staff then informed that the private bathroom is small hence might still need to use the shared bathroom, I would have to agree that it is extremely small.
As stated in the facilities/amenities, there is a garden which is the main part of why I find the guesthouse extremely disappointing as it very small, narrow patch of sand with 2 chairs and a table situated infront of a rectangle plot of wilted branch (?).

• Stayed: May 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 May 2015 via mobile

In a small hanok between the two palaces we stayed for two nights. Good to be aquinted with traditional living styles though modernised with toilets and air conditioning. Hard to sleep on a thin madras on the floor, but helped for the jet lag.
Short walking distance to the two palaces and only 15 minutes to Ingso and the artificial stream. A must at night.

Stayed: May 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 April 2015

There are four of us travelling to Korea (couple + 2 friends). We booked two double rooms. When we arrived there, we were told to upgrade to 1 family room (with bathroom) and 1 double room (using the shared bathroom), as there are vacant room available at the time we checked in. It was so lucky of us!

#Tips: Wherever possible, try to get a family (even for two person), it is much more spacious & convenient than double room!! As the shared bathroom can be occupied during the peak hours, you may need to queue for it sometimes.

We stayed at the Doo guesthouse 2, closer to the Anguk subway station (at the downhill). There are two korean guys helped us to carry our luggages to the Doo guesthouse 2. Thanks for that!
Overall, the stay at Doo guesthouse is satisfied. In the cold spring season, the room is warmed and comfortable! Shower/Shampoo, hair dryer, and towels are provided. Worth to highlight that they also provide the traditional korean costume for all the guest to try on! Besides, the guesthouse is secured with many CCTVs and main door passcode lock.

Room Tip: Try to get a family room (even for 2 person). As the room comes with own toilet and more spacious fo...
  • Stayed: April 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 April 2015

there are quite some numbers of hanok style guesthouse around Bukchon, but the price not cheap compare to normal guesthouse. But for Doo guesthouse, i think the price still affordable. We met one of the guesthouse's staff when we were looking for the route to the guesthouse, and he offer to bring us to the guesthouse (he actually was off duty that time). and help us with the luggage, It took some times of walking (15min) to reach the guesthouse from the Anguk subway. However, we were satisfied with the room in the guesthouse, we were upgraded to family room at the 2nd floor, and had the whole area for ourselves, and the room is spacious. Besides that, you can take free korean traditional costume for photo shooting, we all like it very much. The owner also very friendly and allow us to put our luggage there although we check out already. We definitely will recommend this place to those who like to experience hanok. Overall, we had a good experience and stay at Doo guesthouse.

• Stayed: November 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 April 2015 via mobile

My family and I stayed here last April 1-3. The check-in was a breeze. We were accommodated right away by the two Korean guys who were there. They carried our luggages for us. They are really nice. We forgot their names though. Anyway, we stayed at the hanok houses in the upper part, or in the second floor to put it. We had the whole area for ourselves. Privacy at its best! One of the Korean guys introduced us how the ondol works, which was very easy to control. We definitely had a wonderful time staying in their hanok! I definitely recommend this place if you want the ultimate hanok experience. Thanks Doo!!! you were awesome!

Stayed: April 2015