“Great Easter Holidays in Seoul”

InterContinental Seoul COEX
Ranked #34 of 493 Hotels in Seoul
Germany
“Great Easter Holidays in Seoul”
Reviewed 14 April 2012

I have stayed at this hotel last week, and I really had a great time. The room was good, the hotel facilities as well, and the location (although not in the old part of the town) was still pretty good for getting around.

The subway station can be reached within 5-10 minutes either by taking the street or going inside the COEX mall (perfect when it rains). If you want to grab some food, do some shopping or go to Aquarium, its right there in the COEX mall as well. The hotel also has busses stopping there on the weekend to bring you to the Yeoju Outlet Malls and the bus to the airport stops every 30 minutes I believe and cost 15000 Won, which is about 10 Euro (the busses are GREAT and a convenient way to get to the Incheon airport)

I have had room service twice and had no complaints about it whatsoever - the prices are not the cheapest, but still fine for the quality of food provided. I also booked two hours of treatments in the INSPA at the hotel - GREAT GREAT GREAT time :-) There is a casino at the hotel, which I did not visit so I cannot say much about it, and also the Duty free shop one story down if you are interested to buy things there.

I will post some pictures in case you would like to see some "details" for yourself ;-)

The only thing that I found sort of difficult was to communicate with the staff - although they really did their best, the level of English was subpar so at times I had to give up and try to figure out things on my own. However, it seems to be an issue all over Seoul - a minor issue compared to the service and the warm hospitality you receive

Room Tip: Ssamseyong subway station is the closest one / 5 to 10 minutes walk from the hotel Rooms are a ni...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank julia6781
Darren M, General Manager at InterContinental Seoul COEX, responded to this review, 7 May 2012
Dear Julia,

Thank you very much for your comments and feedback after your stay with us here at the InterContinental Seoul Coex.

Our location and direct access to areas such as the COEX Mall, the Duty Free store & Casino are a great advantage for staying with us here at the InterContinental Seoul COEX and as you have highlighted the bus to and from Incheon actually stops right out the front of the hotel.
Whilst being located in the business district of Gangnam, the Bongeunsa Temple located across the street certainly offers a calming influence to this bustling city and we certainly recommend if time permits for all our guests to take some time to explore this iconic landmark.

I was surprised and of course disappointed that you had difficulties communicating with our staff during your stay. As a major international hotel with many international visitors we actually spend a lot of time training our staff in not only English but also Japanese and Chinese however I please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused as a result of this.

We will continue to work on improving all our staff's English ability and do hope that next time you visit Seoul you will again choose the the InterContinental Seoul Coex.

Thank you once again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back sometime in the near future.

Best Regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed 11 April 2012

I stayed with my husband there last October for a couple of nights and we enjoyed it. I'll summarize what we liked over there:

- the location us great 4 shopping, food, cinema
- metro station within 8-10 min walk inside the mall
- quick & smooth check in & out
- the room had good space & lights
- we enjoyed great view of the city in 18th floor. it was spectacular.
- they had an old fashioned TV
- the bathroom was well designed

- no free internet !!

One more thing I liked about the location of this hotel was having a Check-in counters for airlines in the mall. So, we checked our luggage & took the boarding on our last day very early, then enjoyed our time in the mall

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your favorable comments and feedback after your stay with us here in Seoul back in October of last year.

I would like to update you on a couple of things that have happened since you visited us last.
We are about to commence the third phase of our renovation which will have all rooms within the hotel completed by the end of August.
Naturally we have updated all the televisions and now offer complimentary WiFi internet in our public areas and Restaurants making easier for people to stay in touch whilst away from home.

Our location and direct access to areas such as the COEX Mall, the Duty Free store & Casino are a great advantage for staying with us here at the InterContinental Seoul COEX and as you have highlighted our higher floor rooms certainly have some of the best views of Seoul and surrounding areas.

Thank you once again for taking the time to write your comments and we hope that should you return to Seoul you will again choose the InterContinental Seoul, Coex.

San Francisco, CA
Reviewed 2 April 2012

I stayed at the COEX intercontinental with my family for a couple of nights last week. We stayed in a family suite, which was excellent. The suite has a bedroom with two twin bids, and a sitting room with a fold-down double bed. There was enough space to add an extra single without a problem, so the four of us were very comfortable.

The COEX is in the COEX complex, and is only a 10 minute walk from the Samseong subway stop. It is also convenient to the City Airport Terminal (CALT), and to both ICN and GMP airports by bus.

Everything in the hotel is expensive, but there is a mall next door with very good food options. I would personally skip the breakfast in the hotel (expensive), and head to one of the numerous coffee shops and restaurants in the COEX mall. Having said that, the breakfast buffet was excellent, and arguably worth the money by Seoul standards.

The staff was attentive and spoke good English. Internet was included for free with my room package, and internet speeds were good.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your favorable comments and feedback after your recent stay with us here in Seoul.

I think that your last sentence has captured our hotel perfectly.
"Overall, a great place to stay for business, and surprisingly, also a great place to use as a base for a vacation in Seoul."

Whilst directly connected to the COEX Convention center you can also access the COEX Mall, the Duty Free store & Casino all without stepping outside.
A great advantage for staying with us and certainly making for a convenient stay either for business or leisure.

I was very pleased and proud about you highlighting the friendliness and attention that all our team here at the InterContinental Seoul Coex display in our attempt to make your stay here in Seoul a pleasant and memorable one and we hope that should you return to Seoul you will again choose the InterContinental Seoul, Coex.

Thank you once again for taking the time to write your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back again sometime in the near future.

Malmo, Sweden
Reviewed 30 March 2012

I have stayed at this hotel three times in the past year, 1-2 weeks each time, but this is my first review. This is my favorite Hotel in Seoul. I have also stayed in nearby Grand Intercontinental, which is supposed to be more luxurious but is also more dated, as well as the Ibis nearby.

The breakfast buffet is the best part of this hotel. Make sure it is included in the room rate, because it is very expensive otherwise - unless you work for Air France which seem to have a good deal here (always lots of Air France crew in the breakfast area). It consists of 20 different hot plates, Lots of fresh fruits and juices, Big selection of cold cuts, salmon, salads, cheese, pastries, and everything you could ask for. I have traveled extensively in Asia and this is the best breakfast buffet I have ever come across. If possible, be there early. It opens at 6 am - just perfect when you return from a long night at the office ;)

Rooms are slightly on the small but well equiped. Bathrooms are small but functional. Cleanliness good. Sheets and towels will be changed as often as requested. Bed is a little bit on the hard side. There is a pillow menu which I never tried.

I have not tried the club lounge in this hotel since I would rarely return from the office in time to take advantage of it.

Internet works well but is expensive - 20k KRW per day - make sure it is included in your room rate. Minibar is expensive but there are plenty of convenience stores nearby to provide beer and snacks for the cost conscious. The room service is very good, both in quality and value for money, but choice is limited. Laundry is extremley expensive.

As long as I'm not paying the bill myself, I will gladly return to the Coex Intercontinental.

Room Tip: the "river-view" rooms are not worth paying extra for. Sure, you get a view of the river b...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your favorable comments and feedback after your stay with us here in Seoul.

I was very pleased to hear of your great comments on our breakfast buffet and its offerings....certainly breakfast is the most important meal of the day and we certainly try and cater to everyone's personal needs.

I have passed on your comments to the team in relation to some of the pricing and we shall definitely go back and review our pricing against other hotels and make some adjustments if and where necessary.

Nothing is more important than a good nights sleep and whilst some people prefer harder beds and others prefer softer beds we are gradually replacing all our beds with a new style of mattress which so far is receiving good comments from both so please be sure to ask for one of these rooms on your next visit. Additionally you will also notice we are now offering free WiFi in our public areas and restaurants which I am sure you will find useful.

Thank you once again for taking the time to write your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to the InterContinental Seoul, Coex again sometime soon.

Reviewed 27 March 2012 via mobile

Kind of surprised when we were to have our last night spent in this luxury hotel. A good night sleep before having to wake up for a gym session before setting off to some last minute shopping. It was definitely a worth to stay hotel.

Stayed March 2012
Dear Guest,

Nothing is more important than a good nights sleep and I am pleased to hear you had exactly that...!
As you have highlighted our Cosmopolitan Fitness Centre certainly is worth a visit and also boasts a wonderful outlook over one of Seoul’s most famous temples which truly is a calming influence in this very active city.
Hopefully next time you return to Seoul you will be able to take advantage of our direct access to areas such as the COEX Mall, the Duty Free store & Casino which are all connected to the hotel.

Reviewed 22 March 2012

Nice central place in a very cold environment 5 mins from transport ( bus) hub cabs are very expensive do take the buses where you can - hotel - amazing service and food breakfast fantastic dinner try the upstairs resturant - staff very friendly and language not an issue

• Stayed February 2012
Dear Guest,

Seoul certainly can be a very cold place during winter and something people need to be reminded of when planing to visit at this time of the year. Having said that, Seoul experiences the full four seasons throughout the year and each of them is quite unique and special.

One of our great advantages during the cold winter or humid summer is that we are directly connected to the COEX Shopping Mall, the Duty Free store & Casino which means you don't even need to step outside....this certainly makes for a convenient stay.

Next time you visit, please be aware that there are a number of different taxi services available in Seoul, the Black Cabs are the most expensive but tend to also be the newer and bigger cars. Then there are the orange cabs which are the general taxis, these are best for just general trips. One great service that most taxis provide for free is a translation service that can help you out if you get stuck, however our concierge team can always assist by writing down the directions and or places you need to visit.

Thank you once again for your kind comments on your stay and I will certainly pass these onto the team at both the Brasserie Restaurant and also the Sky Lounge located on the 30th floor.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the InterContinental Seoul, Coex sometime in the near future.

Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed 17 March 2012

My previous trips to Seoul involved staying at the Lotte Hotel Chain so I had a fair basis for comparison. First and foremost I have never been able to fault the service that I have received at any of the Hotels in Seoul. Its generally of a high level at any of the 5 star hotels.

The first thing however I liked about the Intercontinental Coex was that there was a direct KAL bus service from Incheon Airport which was very reasonable in price. Note however that Coex Exhibition has two Intercontinentals at separate ends of the Exhibition Centre so worthwhile paying attention to ensure that you don't get off at the wrong Hotel (the other one is called Grand Intercontinental). Check in was painless although I elected to pay the extra to get upgraded to a Club Room. The reason for this is that apart from free internet and wifi throughout the Hotel, the Club Lounge on the 2nd floor is a great place to conduct meetings without the need to book separate meeting rooms (although there are private meeting rooms also available at the Club Lounge). The Lounge also provides breakfast in the mornings and allow for quick check outs without having to queue at the Main reception on the Ground Floor. The only thing I found annoying was that the KAL bus tockets for the return trip back to Incheon Airport was only available at the Main Lobby.

Room and bathroom was spacious and well appointed. I especially found the bed very comfortable although the walls and/or doors were a bit thin as I could hear people talking as they walked past the room. Whilst the flat screen TV had a summary of TV channels, it grouped them which was a bit confusing. Took me awhile to figure out the grouping system but if you channel surf, this shouldn't be a major issue.

Generally I enjoyed my stay at the Hotel. Connected to the lobby is a Lotte Duty Free outlet and the Coex shopping Centre so food options were aplenty without feeling as if you were stuck in the Hotel. I would recommend this Hotel as a great option if you dont need to be in the City Centre

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Kebuh
Dear Guest,

My apologies for the delay in getting back to you, in addition to a some travel myself, we have had a number of large projects underway which have been consuming a lot of my time of late.

Being located on the Southern side of the river or the Gangnam district of Seoul, this area tends to be more modern than the Northern side, but like everywhere, depends on what you are looking for.
There certainly are some cultural and historical places such as the Bongeunsa Temple, located across the street, and the very famous Samneung Park, which has one of the Royal Tombs and with direct access to areas such as the COEX Mall, the Duty Free store & Casino this certainly makes for a convenient stay.

As you have highlighted the direct door to door access to Incheon is also a great advantage of staying with us and certainly makes the trip less troublesome with no changes or transfers.
I was pleased to read you enjoyed and recommended our Club Lounge and rooms, since our refurbishment we are certainly receiving a lot of great feedback in relation to these facilities.

Once again thank you for your favorable comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to the InterContinental Seoul, Coex.