“One of the best in Asia. A Great Example of Korean Hospitality”
Review of The Shilla Seoul

The Shilla Seoul
Ranked #17 of 500 Hotels in Seoul
Reviewed 30 April 2011

One of the best in Asia, A Great Example of Korean Hospitality
Our company chose this hotel for a big meeting. I have never heard of the hotel before this time. I felt strange when I received my confirmation, but it was all gone when I first stepped into the hotel. I am only left with great experience and deep appreciation to everyone in this amazing hotel.

Transportation to the hotel: a luxury Korean car was waiting for me at the airport, very rare to see this car out of Korea, but very nice, great interior luxury and smooth ride, very polite drive. I was escorted from the car to the check in desk by a lady who knew my name! Very quick check in, I was in my room in no time.

Location: about one hour drive from Incheon airport. It is built on a mountain side which makes view from rooms very nice from all sides. very close to the night life district and shopping spots as well. No worries.

Room: it was a deluxe room with a king bed. Reasonably sized but it was a narrow and long rectangle, which is very tough to layout. For that, the TV was very far from the bed. And the working desk was next to the bed and facing the wall, making it imposable to use the desk and watch TV in the same time. Very clean and spot less, the furniture looks old fashioned and the bathroom is clean and nice but also very clear that it was built a very long time and I think it needs to be updated. Having said so, I must say that it is all very well maintained.

Food: I ordered in-room service and tried the buffet for breakfast and the formal dinners with the company which was done by the hotel as well. I must say it was top class in every aspect. Great food over all, just don’t miss the desert section near the buffet. One of the best dessert collection I have ever tasted.

I did not have the time to check the gym and the swimming pool, but they told me that they have both indoors and outdoors one.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank suntop80
There are newer reviews for The Shilla Seoul

Reviewed 29 March 2011

Stayed there for two nights on a busy schedule. Room was big and comfortable, so was the bathroom, but the room was clearly old and a bit rundown (still good but not on the top). There was free WiFi in my room package, but it worked only half of the time. Pretty annoying as i couldnt use my smartphone, but had to turn on the PC and connect it to the cable. OK gym. The room key was probably the coolest part (a real old fashioned key)!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 March 2011

Very fine hotel. Very spacious public areas and large stylish and comfortable rooms. Restaurants excellent. The conference facilities which we used very also very good.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank MyReview186361
Reviewed 17 March 2011

Stayed at the Shilla after evacuating Japan due to earthquake/tsunami catastrophe. It was absolutely marvelous.The staff was exceptional, poised and very sophisticated. The hotel itself spectacular and somehow removed from the chaos of the city. The spa and fitness center were the best I have experienced. Also, the 19th floor lounge offered a very satisfying breakfast and happy hour. Only drawback was the one key to enter the room. Complicated for us since we were sharing the room with our 18 year old. Otherwise, a fantastic experience

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank hildals
Reviewed 22 January 2011

I travel about 1.5 weeks per month and rarely review any hotel. I'm making an exception here -- the Shilla Seoul was spectacular. A stunning hotel with AMAZING service -- everyone was unbelievable gracious and helpful. We consider our time there one of the highlights of a 3 week trip to Korea/Bali/Japan.

The lobby area is absolutely beautiful with a very modern yet asian feel.

I stayed in a suite and was on a conceirge level. The suite was definitely very comfortable and included internet several TVs and 1.5 baths -- more traditional than modern feel. The lounge on the conceige level included breakfast. Unexpectedly, the lounge here was open all day and into the night. Breakfast was phenomenal. Coffee/Cappucino's/Hot Chocolate & snacks included throughout the day. Free happy hour in the late afternoon included a buffet that could easily substitute for dinner (and did for us for 1 night). The lounge was full of newspapers/magizines, had computers set up, and also had a Bloomberg (never seen that in a hotel before) -- all free.

The gym was the best free hotel gym I've ever had access to and 2nd only to the Parker Meredian's in NYC overall -- great selection and they even had trainers that did a full fitness evaluation. The locker room was huge and well equipped and tied in to a massive spa area (also included free) with showers, hot/warm/cold pools, steam/dry saunas. There was even an outdoor golf driving range on the roof. The gym and spa areas were huge for a hotel and had a nice asian rather than western feel.

We really enjoyed the lounge area with entertainment for new year's celebration. The restaurant on the main floor area was beautiful, particularly on the snowy day on which we arrived.

Though I've read some reviews that questioned the location, I found the location relatively convenient -- it's just a short cab ride to major shopping areas and sites. Furthermore, the subway is right next to the hotel (a very short walk), and the subway is easy and one of the best laid out in the world.

Out of curiosity, we took a look at the other most highly-recommended hotels (the Park Hyatt and the Westin) but did not stay at these; nonetheless, a few quick comments. The Park Hyatt is visually stunning with the lobby on a very high floor with an incredible/dramatic view of the city, so absolutely go there for drinks at night -- it's further out than the Shilla -- if you're into super hip/modern and don't care about an asian feel, this might be a better place for you; the gym area, however, is small. The Westin seemed very blase to me and in a crowded shopping area -- very glad we did not stay there.

Recommendation -- take the shuttle bus from the airport to the hotel and vice versa (it's about $15/person vs. an $85 cab ride) and more pleasant.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank NathanSS
Reviewed 20 January 2011

I am just completing my stay at the Shilla and I have to say I am very disappointed. I really was expecting a plush and opulent envirnoment. But having stayed in 2 other top 5 rated 5 Star hotels in Seoul I have to say they need to lift their game for the money they are charging.

The positives - service is outstanding. Breakfast buffet is one of the best I've seen and I stay in hotels about 100 days a year. Public areas (lobby, gym etc) are very nice.

The negative - The rooms just flat out need a complete makeover. The room size I had was great. But it was REALLY old fashioned with old fittings ugly 30 ear old carper and horrible couch that looks like it belongs in a student flat. And this was a "renovated" room because I rejected the first one they gave me. As far as I can tell renovated means a touch key entry and a flash phone an that's it. In my book the room decor is a 3star at best.

I have stayed at the Westin Cosun and the Park hyatt in the last 12 months and I would much rather have either of thise ove the Shilla for the room quality only. The price is about the same and you cannot compare the rooms.

Having said that I have to stay the staff are excellent and made it a pleasent stay

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank specialk23
Reviewed 16 January 2011

This is by far the best hotel I've ever stayed in. Wonderful breakfast, wonderful service, fabulous views, comfortable rooms, and beautiful decor!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business