“Home away from home. Excellent location too! :)”
Review of Air Hostel Seoul

Air Hostel Seoul
Ranked #541 of 986 Seoul B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 November 2015

Kimchee Dongdaemun Guesthouse was very accessible to public transportation: Jongno 5ga subway line 1 exit 4, and Jongno 6ga bus stop. A handful of Korean restaurants are also situated on its alley, but if you go out to the main road and walk probably about 5 minutes towards Jongno 5ga subway stop, you'll find a very cheap soondae restaurant (I can't remember the name but the prices 4500 and 4900 are on display). There's a GS25 convenience store on the main street, so you can stop by and reload your T-cards before catching the bus or the subway. It's a bit hard to find for first-time travelers. Just make sure to read and understand the instructions provided in their confirmation e-mail.

The staff was very welcoming. They have makgeolli (rice wine) parties on Fridays and karaoke parties on Saturdays. I think they make it a point to invite everyone who passes by reception in addition to the posted announcement. You can also bring your friends, just make sure to inform them ahead of time. The guesthouse manager Thomas is amazingly multi-lingual. On top of Korean and English, he can also converse fluently with the HK/Japanese staff members. He also gives his inputs on certain tourist spots, which helps a great deal if you don't have an itinerary lined up.

The guesthouse has five floors. Reception is on the 2nd floor and the rooftop "cafe" on the 5th floor, where you can get coffee and tea. Both floors have dispensers for hot/cold water too. The pictures don't lie, by the way. The rooftop cafe looks exactly as it does on pictures. :) The guesthouse manager generously helps carry your luggage during check in. For late flights, just make sure to inform the staff. They will instruct you to check out before 12NN and leave your luggage outside your room and they'll be the one to bring it down to the lobby until you come back for your luggage. The bus stop near the guesthouse is also included in the airport limousine 6002 route.

Don't worry if you forgot to bring an adapter for your chargers, you can rent one at reception with a refundable deposit.

The room I stayed in smelled a bit odd... probably an old scent, but hey, it's my first time to stay at a guesthouse... what do I know? I got used to it eventually, so it really didn't bother me that much. You can request to have your room cleaned, they have a daily schedule for cleaning. I was just too shy to ask for my trash to be taken out. Later on, I found out from my friend who stayed over that the guesthouse manager seemed worried about the amount of trash I had in my room.

All in all, I considered Kimchee Dongdaemun Guesthouse as my home away from home during my five-day sojourn in Seoul. I will most definitely rent a room with them on my next trip to South Korea. :)

Room Tip: Choose a private room to get an indoor toilet. Request for a room on the 2nd/3rd floor if you can...
  • Stayed: November 2015, travelled solo
KDongdaemun, 매니저 at Air Hostel Seoul, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2015

Thank you for your details comment. We will try improve in the future.
Wish you will be see you again. Thanks!!

Reviewed 8 November 2015

It's up to all standards of hostel-style accommodation. Rooms are clean, staffs are nice, & location is great. The cafe on rooftop also turns into a pub at night. Such a great fun to chat with other tourists.

However, it's kind of red light area there as well. It's a little dangerous for girls travelling alone who come back late at night as there could be some drunkards annoying you. I once saw a drunk guy shouting and fighting with the owner of nearby club there. Had to wait until he disappeared before I could go out.

Room Tip: No lift. Request for low floor before you come if you carry heavy luggage.
  • Stayed: March 2015, travelled solo
KDongdaemun, 매니저 at Air Hostel Seoul, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2015

Thanks for your kindly comment and suggest. Wish will see you again. Thanks!!

Reviewed 3 November 2015 via mobile

I stayed here for three night at a dorm. It's very close to a lit of hotspot places in Dongdaemun. The staff is very nice and helpful. Had a lot of fun with the staff and I guess the cleaning could be improved though. Very cheap prices.

Stayed: October 2015, travelled solo
KDongdaemun, 세일즈 디렉터 at Air Hostel Seoul, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2015

Thank you choose our guest house.
We will try improve in the future.

Reviewed 2 November 2015

When we booked for this hostel is was mainly for the convenience of the location. However what embraced us was a total surprise of warm hospitality by all staffs of Kimchee hostel. When we arrived to this place, following the directions given through email, it was a piece of cake! :)

We met Thomas at the reception where he explains everything regarding the rooms and of course the house rules. We were also invited to the Makgeolli party held by him every Friday night, at the roof top! Thomas even made Teokbokki (spicy rice cakes) for us on that night while we drink. We played some drinking games and had lots of fun with other in-house guests. *you may refer to the photo along with this post*

LOCATION:
Kimchee hostel is located on a rather quiet alley, about 10 minutes walk away from Dongdaemun shopping area only. 5 minutes away from Jongno-o-ga station only. And the best part of it is that we don't need to worry about our meals, there is a long stretch of restaurants right after you come out of the hostel and they all taste pretty good with reasonable price!!!

Overall, i personally think that aside of the very affordable price, they even provide the bessttttt service. All the detailed gestures such as helping us to make calls for our next accommodation, speaking to our taxi drivers when we were lost out there, and I must give the credits to Thomas, a very down-to-earth, helpful, cheerful, friendly Korean guy that has been at a very great help throughout our stay. Thank you everyone for making our stay in Dongdaemun beyond memorable!

• Stayed: November 2015, travelled with friends
KDongdaemun, 매니저 at Air Hostel Seoul, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2015

Thanks for choose Kimchee guest house.
Wish you to see you again.

Reviewed 31 October 2015

The staffs and services were really nice. Despite the cheap room charge, the rooms are not bad :)
And the best thing of this guest house is MAKGEOLII(korean rice wine) PARTY in every friday!

It was my first guest house and still the best one for me. Really recommandable!

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled solo

Thanks for come to our Kimchee guest house.
Wish you have a great moment and see you again.

Reviewed 30 October 2015

First of all, location wise is pretty good. Its just 10 minutes walk from Jungno-5-ga Station, go out from exit 4 and walk until you see a pharmacy, then turn left. Turn left again once you see the first street. Dongdaemun is just 10 minutes walk from the hotel. dongdaemun market and Kwangjang market is just around 10 minutes walk too.

Dongdaemun and Kwangjang market has most of the local food available, so its not a problem finding food. Getting around is pretty easy with metro.

The staffs are very friendly. I had a great time with them: Thomas, Steve, Taki, Siti. The hotel, is not super clean, but its still ok. Public bathroom are available on 3rd and 4th floor. There is a common area with balcony on 5th floor. People like to chill on the area.

Overall its a great place to stay for backpackers. thumbs up!!

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled solo

Thanks for your choose Kinchee guest house.
Wish you will be come back again.

Reviewed 23 October 2015 via mobile

I stayed here for 2 days in promotion period with really cheap price!

The guest house is located in very crowed area.
And the rooms haven't been soundproofed.

BUT I think it's fine considering the staffs and host's very kind service to all guests.

All facilities especially restrooms were really clean.

What I like most was Makgeoli PARTY on Fri.
The host prepared all dishes like fruits and Topokki.(It was really delicious, Topokki, I mean)

What I only regret is I forgot to call some friend's numbers. TT.......

Anyway thanks all Kimchi Dongdaemoon Staffs!

For guests who want to make many foreign friends it's a BEST PLACE~!

-Joy-

Stayed: October 2015, travelled solo

Thank you for your reply.
Hope to see you again. Thanks!!