“A must-try whilst in Seoul”
Review of Jungsik

Jungsik
Ranked #3 of 123,154 Restaurants in Seoul
Price range: US$60,000 - US$180,000
Cuisines: Korean
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Apgujeong / Cheongdam
Reviewed 28 March 2017 via mobile

I was in Seoul for a few days recently and made a booking at Jungsik having heard about it from latest Asia's top 50 list.

I was not very hungry and so I opted for the 4 course menu. Before the first course arrived, they served an array of little starters which were very cute and tasty.

For the first course, I chose the Gujeolpan. It was interesting as I had to put the various food items on top of the biscuit looking thing. There was a homemade soy sauce provided and I would have to say it was an unusual but delicious choice.

The second dish was the sea urchin with rice. I have always loved unni and Jungsik served up a generous portion along with some brown rice at the bottom. Loved the combination.

The 3rd was the Ok Dom which is a fish dish. The server said that it was half steam and the skin was fried. Whatever it was, ok dom was lovely and I am glad that I chose it over the black cod. Both the unni and ok dom carried an additional surcharge 10k won each to the cost of the meal. The gujeolpan was supposed to serve 2 and in order for the chef to specially made it for one person, there was also a surcharge of 10k won.

Last but not least, the desserts made their appearance. First of all was the pre-dessert which was too pretty to behold. It was cinnamon sorbet with panacotta. Then came the hot corn which was ice cream made to look like corn. A little bit of chilli powder was spread over the corn giving it a little spicy twist. Next came the tea - I opted for the sesame tea which aids digestion served with 3 small pieces yummy sweets/chocolates.

Overall, I enjoyed the spread at Jungsik and wish that I could have tried the full degustation menu. I intend to do so the next time I am in Seoul with my husband.

Reviewed 19 March 2017

We ordered the tasting menu and almost every dishes were creatively and beautifully presently. And they tasted distinctly flavorful. I have eaten at many traditional good Korean restaurant but never at a modern Korean one. The way the dishes were created with Korean twist was delicious and memorable. The service was good, as could be expected from a Michelin-stared restaurant.

1  Thank sammyguy
Reviewed 17 March 2017

Jungsik provides a Korean dining experience, not just a meal. You shouldn't miss it. Yes, it's somewhat expensive with wine, but it's worth every won. (We had dinner last night at Penfold's Magilll Estate Restaurant in Adelaide. The meal cost twice as much and couldn't hold a candle to what we had at Jungsik.)

We had the 5 course menu (KRW 120,000) with an octopus appetizer, the crispy seaweed rice dish, a branzino seafood selection, the crispy pork belly land dish, and their new hot corn sweet selection charmingly composed of ice cream in the deceptively realistic shape of a piece of corn on the cob! Everything was delicious.

The service was a tad hurried, but once we suggested it be slowed down everything was fine. Be aware there are 6 amuse-bouches and several bite-size dessert treats, so for someone like me without a big appetite, the 4 course menu would have been a better choice. All in all, it was a wonderful experience!

2  Thank Lulunolu
Reviewed 16 March 2017

Vin, Mrs Merlot, daughter Petite Merlot and son Young Merlot here for dinner to celebrate Mrs Merlot's birthday. This was a memorable dining experience by world standards. Food excellent. Service friendly, attentive, helpful and engaging. We left wine selection in the hands of sommelier Min Seok, an incredibly smart move. In many restaurants this is a disaster waiting to be upsold - not here. Food service also handled professionally and with aplomb by Hyun Hye. These 2 not only set the standard but make the experience.
Food uncompromisingly outstanding. A first class kitchen and operation.
We had the 5 course tasting menu 120,000 Kwon (approx $AUD 120) which included an additional array of 4 mini starters each plus a sorbet cleanser aftermain and chocolates with coffee. For the quality this was a bargain compared to other celebrated establishment across the world stage.
Wine is not cheap but on par for this type of fine diner. For the record a bottle of burgundy Chambolle - Musigny Les Cabottes from Domain Cecile Trembley. Delicate and flavoursome just as recommended by Min Seok. Plus a bottle of totally different Pinot Noir from Austria, sweeter in style.
Just an outstanding night of food, drink and hospitality. Agree with other TA reviews, but for us right up in the top tier and sitting very comfortably. Highly recommended without any reservation. Although you need a reservation to get in!! Will return before we leave Seoul.

2  Thank VinMerlot
Reviewed 14 March 2017 via mobile

I had tasting menu at jungsik!
It was divine! Had a perfect Korean cusine experience. There was no flaw. Food was excellent, service as well. I would love to recommend anyone who wants to try Korean cuisine! Think this is best restaurant in Seoul city.