“Naengmyeon and Bulgogi”

Cuisines: Korean
Neighbourhood: Jung-gu
Neighbourhood: Jung-gu
Reviewed May 5, 2017 via mobile

The Restaurant has been in business since 1949. We ate Naengmyeon (cold noodles) together with Bulgogi.
The taste of both was just very plain, almost no flavor especially of the stew of the noodles as I have been used from other places. Service was just so, so. The waitress paid almost no attention to us and the noodles took forever to arrive. All in all, just an average experience in a restaurant that is in the upper price range. Not recommended.

Date of visit: May 2017
1  Thank ts0ama

Reviewed May 2, 2017

This is THE restaurant that my family have been going to from my grandparents' days. Needless to say, the food is great. It's their "wedding noodle soup" (naeng myun) that our family have been going crazy for. It's really like going back home and I see so many other families come and enjoy with their grandparents and grandchildren (and sometimes with their great grandparents/children too!).

Date of visit: January 2017
Reviewed February 18, 2017

Woo Lae Oak has a history and they have also been in Soho, New York. Unfortunately, the Soho branch has shut its doors after failed attempts to incorporate modern dining experiences. This Jung-Gu location however has kept its old ways and has maintained so far a up to standard dining experience.

The cons however involve their very overpriced pricing, bulgogi isn't really an expensive dish and can feel a bit like you're being ripped off. If you are a budget traveller I would hesitate recommending this place.

Date of visit: December 2016
1  Thank Alexander K
Reviewed January 29, 2017

If anyone looking for real Korean food and BBQ on the table... this is the place to be. Very tasty, clean and friendly staff. So many side dishes.... don't worry! You don't have to finish everything...

Date of visit: November 2016
Reviewed January 11, 2017

If you've tried some popular Korean food before and if you didn't liked it because it was spicy, sweet, etc this food might be for you. As a Korean myself, I sometimes find Korean food(in just random restaurants) too sweet and spicy. The most famous food here (Naengmyeon) is a must try when you are in Korea.

I just want to be clear, even a lot of Koreans don't like this food. I would say it's because they are too much used to sweet and salty, spicy food. If you enjoy food just by it's ingredients, you will like this food. This place has really beefy broth compared to other pyeongyang naengmyeon places.

Price is around 13,000won as I remember. They also have a fresh kimchi for side dish (not fermented) and lots of my non-Korean friends loved it.

Date of visit: December 2016