“Hostel Luna by Marlies Janssens”
Review of Hotel Luna

Hotel Luna
Hotel Luna
Ranked #16 of 64 Cairo B&B and Inns
Reviewed 30 March 2012

I was in this hostel in September 2011.
I stayed there for 4 nights.
I had to pay € 72,00.
Including 4 nights, breakfast and transfer by taxi from and back to the airport.
It was very basic but clean and you had your own bathroom.It is situated in the middle of the center. You could walk to a lot of attractions.
The staff was very kind and helpfull.
And this all for only € 72,00.

I would do it again.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Marlies J

Reviewed 21 January 2012

Some months ago, when I wrote a positive review of Bella Luna, Luna's slightly upscale counterpart two floors down, I wrote that I'd probably be happy staying at Luna as well.

This time I did stay at Luna, and I did have a pleasant stay.

I stayed alone in a back-side room with a balcony and a private bath. The room was quiet, clean, spacious, and comfortable.

Because some onward travel plans fell through, I stayed here longer than planned: ten days. I had a writing project to work on, and my room at Luna provided a good quiet place to work on it.

What I wrote of Bella Luna applies to Luna as well: "The staff were always friendly and helpful, the fellow guests pleasant."

Many thanks to Hany, Samy, Nesren, Omar, and Ahmed. They were always helpful and congenial.

One extraordinary feature of Luna: The whole time I was there, I never saw anyone from the staff smoking on the job. I meant to ask whether no smoking for the staff is a policy. In any case, the absence of smoke was very welcome. (Smoking is a prevalent habit in Egypt, and you can stay at hostels in Cairo where the staff smoke nonstop.)

Another Luna touch: In the lobby they keep the radio softly playing, and the music is -- my goodness! -- Western classical.

I don't eat hotel food, so I can't comment on the breakfast.

The location is central and convenient. The hot water worked fine. So too the elevator. And Luna always felt safe and secure.

Regarding the internet: At Bella Luna all the rooms have wifi. At Luna, not so. There's a public wifi space where you can log in. The connection is good and reasonably fast. In your room you may also pick up the Bella Luna connection or a connection that's not locked. But the signal won't be as strong, and you can't steadily depend on it.

I am happy to recommend Luna.

Room Tip: My back-side room was quiet. The front-side rooms, we hear, are less so. All the rooms have high cei...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank O_Gopal
Reviewed 10 December 2011

My guide/driver had trouble finding the hotel as it is tucked behind the shops fronting Talaat Harb. Good central location with a huge shopping complex right across the street and myriad of shops running the length of the thoroughfare. Very central and near the Egyptian Museum.
Basic hotel as you've expected but perfectly adequate. Booked a single and was given a huge room with 4 single beds to myself. Balcony is perfect for people watching. Used their laundry and came back with damp clothes (no sun it seems and I was in a hurry). Hotel is located on the top floor and you need to use a so call "open" lift which was scary initially to get to it. Breakfast was simple as expected.
Overall a good value for what I've paid but was expecting more from reading Lonely Planet.
Will return.

• Stayed: February 2011
Reviewed 28 October 2011

To Everyone at Hotel Luna - I have just recommended you to our Australian friends who are currently living in London and planning on a trip to Egypt in October 2011. We stayed with you in 2006 - happy to give you 5 star from airport pickup, location, accommodation, cleanliness and your generous and most friendly hospitality. Of course there was noise but it is ''downtown cairo' - so not complaining - closing the doors shuts most out. At the time of our stay renovations commenced on your new area. Happy to see that was completed beautifully. And hoping to return to your country again one day in near future.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank janal1983
Reviewed 9 July 2011

the hotel was clean and the staff was helpful, the only thing was the elevator which I think was old, the hotel is on a busy street and you can pop out and in to buy anything you want from morning until night . on the street.

Room Tip: the back rooms
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank jasmine034
Reviewed 10 June 2011

Amazingly cheap for a private room on a main street dowtown Cairo. At night Talaat Harb Street is closed to cars and packed with an incredible number of people. And you just have to step out of your room to enjoy it! The staff at the front desk is very friendly and helpful, such a contrast with all those people sneaking around the pyramids. Only bad thing is that it is very hard to get hot water when you shower.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank Desman31
Reviewed 2 May 2011

This is a decent hotel for its price. The staff are helpful and our room was clean enough. The breakfast got us going but is not over the top. The street noise is very loud and Cairo is a nocturnal place - bring some earplugs. The location is quite busy and very close to the Egyptian museum,

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple