“Amazing hospitality, great customer service”
Review of Mandarin Hostel

Mandarin Hostel
Ranked #53 of 130 Speciality Lodging in Cairo
Reviewed 12 October 2011

The Juliana Hotel offered us an experience of a lifetime. From Holland I traveled with a friend to Cairo to stay (in total) 13 days at this hotel. Our first impression was a good one, after great email contact (other hotels failed in this) they even arranged a FREE pickup service from Cairo International Airport, we arrived around 3 AM, and there he was. Waiting for us. We drove almost half an hour with our newly made friend Ahmed.

We had ordered a SUPERIOR DOUBLE WITH BATHROOM hotelroom. When we arrived at the Hotel our beds were made up, clean and tidy (get cleaned every 2 days), the bathroom was quite big, a welcome surprise. Also a balcony! Really big window view and ofcourse inside the room an A/C. The daily rates are really good ones, especially considering the location! Secure location in Garden City(even though we had no bad experiences in entire Egypte whatsoever) and its approximately 20 minutes of walking distance from the famous Tahrir Square where there is an abundance of things to do and see.

During our stay we (us being students of 22 and 23) got acquainted and even befriended with a lot of employees. They were friendly, really helpfull, and if you want they would even arrange tours and amaaazing nights out. If you really wanna discover Cairo, ask for Karim, the best staff-employee imho. He knows some great places to eat, some great photograph places and even though he thinks his English isnt as good as his brother, my friend and I both disagree respectfully!

Room Tip: If your travelling in pairs choose room number 14, we were told it has the best view
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends

Reviewed 7 October 2011

We stayed in juliana hotel in Sep 2011 and honestly it was excellent ! It's Very Clean , Very friendly staff and very helpful too , Excellent location put you close to everywhere ! , very safe area and well secured located in the heart of GardenCity , all the staff were so nice and would do whatever they could to assist you ! , my wife and I are travelers and been to many countries and Juliana hotel standards are excellent and their rates are very convienent and good ! I'm consedring to stay there again next time soon i'm in Cairo !
Mina Megalla

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank menamour3000
Reviewed 26 September 2011

Hostel is ok and location is great! Close to the river and embassies in the neighborhood. But what I really wanted to mention is that they also arrange for trips (and I was advised to not travel on my own there). I had little time, so focused on the higlights and it only cost U$500/person (the next cheaper agent was charging over twice fo the same itinerary):

Nov 6th: accomodation at Juliana, Nile cruise and museum

Nov 7\8th: Trip to the piramids and Cairo, visiting mesquita, kahn el khalli. At night, transfer to train station to catch the overnight train to Luxor (tickets included).

Nov 8th: trips in Luxor: temples, valley of the kings and queens. Transfer to airport to catch flight to Sharm (ticket not included). Pick up at airport and transfer to Mt. Moses directly from the airport.

Nov 9th: sun rise at Mt. Moses (you have to hire a local beduin guide). We gave up visiting the monastery and asked to be taken directly to Dahab, where we would spend the last days of the trip.

Still in the price we had a day trip Colored and White canyons (amazing!) and transfer back to Sharm's airport. Tremendous value for money and impecable service. He didn't asked for any advance eventough he had to buy the train tickets: we paid full on arrival at very egyptian stile! On our last day in Cairo, the driver scheduled to take us to the train station didn't show up, so the guy from front desk went with us in a regular cab he waived at street.

Perfect!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank FabianaK
Reviewed 20 September 2011

Based on the reviews I saw for this hotel I booked in for 3 nights September 2011. I had problems finding the entrance as it looked nothing like the photos I had viewed. I had booked a superior room through the internet and now I see that the rate was more than they quote on the web site. On arriving I was shown two rooms that looked nothing like the ones on the web and was told there was a problem with the superior and offered one of two shown at a rate of $40 per night. As it was so late I agreed. There was one sheet only on the bed,no pillowcases,the tv did not work and there was no balcony or garden. Do they have more than one floor and I was just unfortunate?? Breakfast was very basic and eaten sat on the bed as there is nowhere else. Need less to say I was very dissapointed and checked out the next day. I moved to a 5 star for an extra $10 per night that was incredible. The two young chaps none of which are the ones mentioned were pleasant. I would not return

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Shrinkingworld
Reviewed 10 September 2011

While I was vacationing in Cairo, Egypt this summer.. I came across a HOTEL called ..
"THE JULIANA".. and I have to say a big THANKYOU to the staff members who work their.. KAREEM, JIMMY, and TITO.. who all made me feel so welcomed during my month long stay.
They all made me feel like it just wasn't a hotel.. but a home away from home!
And if you want the BEST TOUR GUIDE who also works at the hotel.. then I would highly recommend AHMED ROSHDY. His knowledge and history of all that Egypt has to offer is incredible. He can accomodate you on anything your interested in seeing and your experience will be nothing short of amazing!!

Room Tip: The rooms with a balcony are nice... because you can sit outside and enjoy the view
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank debblyschuk
Reviewed 26 August 2011

I chose the Juliana after reading its very positive reviews on Tripadvisor. If you desire a great little hotel at an affordable rate--and don't require a luxurious 4- or 5-star hotel--then definitely choose the 3-star Juliana.

I treated my fiance Faiza and her best friend Khera (both from Tunisia) to a Cairo trip as they had never been to Egypt (nor flown on a plane) and I wanted to be absolutely sure that they had a safe, friendly staffed, well-located, nice and clean hotel with well-appointed rooms (all Juliana rooms have balconys) and ensuite full bathroom with shower. (Wi-Fi, A/C, TV and small fridge were included in their room.) My choice was correct as Faiza and Khera loved their stay at the Juliana.

My interactions with the owner, Hany, were excellent even though I conducted them by phone and email from NYC (yes, he speaks English). I even extended the girl's stay at the Juliana for a week as they were having so much fun in Cairo. Hany and his associates Karim and Tamer were very helpful and nice to them and I am very pleased about that.

Keep in mind that the Juliana is not on street level, as I found many hotels tend to be in Cairo, but located above the Arab-African Bank in the very nice Garden District. Also, though you may find it referred to as a "hostel" it is not a "youth hostel"--I notice that they tend to call many regular hotels in Cairo "hostels."

If you book the Juliana for your Cairo visit I think you'll be very happy with your choice!

Room Tip: I believe some rooms have hallway, as opposed to ensuite, showers.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 August 2011

This hotel is in the center of old Cairo. It is close to the American and Canadian Embassies as well as the Cario Museum. Although it was dificult for our taxi driver from the hotel to find it, and although if you look at the building from the outside you have your cualms you are happily surprised at the accomodations the customer service, the friendliness with which they treat you here. We were suppose to be picked up at the airport but because we were travelling standby we had no real time of arrival so that is why they weren't able to pick us up. But that is okay they were really nice. They arranged our sightseeeing they gave us amazing tips on what to do and what not to. They had provided us with the most amazing guide that up to date we keep in contact with his name is yusef. They made it a very good experience. This is a not a 4 or 5 star hotel but for the price believe me when I tell you it is worth it, specially if you are looking for a safe, clean place. We were totally satisfied and personally we would recommend this place.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family