“Great area to stay in.”
Review of Mandarin Hostel

Mandarin Hostel
Ranked #54 of 131 Speciality Lodging in Cairo
Reviewed 20 October 2011

I used the hotel pick up, which worked alright although a little crowded. Rooms were clean, showers were a bit of a hazard to try and contain the water into the basin without a curtain, but the water was hot. Area was nice and quiet at night, about a block to the Canadian embassy, maybe a 10-15 min walk to Tahir square/Egyptian Museum. Breakfast is a little basic bread, jam, boiled egg, and coffee.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo

Reviewed 19 October 2011

Stay here, this place is a hidden gem. The service here is amazing the staff are all friendly and do anything they can to help you.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Stephen F
Reviewed 18 October 2011

Well, I was supposed to stay here. I paid for a room here and had airport pickup service from the hotel. The guy met me on time at the airport, but little did I know that I had to wait 1 1/2 hrs for OTHER passengers to arrive and that we were all going to the hotel together. I kept asking the driver how much longer I had to wait, because on the site it said nothing about being a shuttle (vs.private pick up) and I would have rather stopped wasting time and gotten a taxi myself. Of course he kept saying ten minutes, so I waited. I had met the driver at the airport at 3pm--we finally got to the hotel around 5:45. I'm made to wait for the other guests (that I waited for at the airport) to check out their room and check-in (and in front of me they are haggling a room rate price, and of course they agree on a price much cheaper than I paid), and after 20min I'm told they have no more room for me and I have to stay down the street!! I had already pre-paid for my room on Agoda, and at this point, it was dark outside, and I had really had no choice but to go with it. Well, I totally got screwed and was sent to the New Garden Palace Hotel (see my review). Around 6:15pm I'm checked in to the other place, and my just nightmare continued. Suffice to say, I couldn't wait to get out of there. So, even though I did not technically stay at the Juliana, I can say that their service is horrendous, and that I totally got screwed by them. There are DEFINITELY better places to stay.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
4  Thank sjhou1
Reviewed 12 October 2011

The Juliana Hotel is the best and most affordable option during your visit to Cairo. It's extremely clean, with large spacious and airy rooms, and not to mention the beautifully preserved original parquet flooring throughout.

The location is super secure and nestled within the ultra safe embassies area, and most of the main sites of interest, i.e the Egyptian Museum and the Nile cruise, are within walking distance.

The staff are amazingly friendly, informative, helpful and would bend over backwards to ensure all your needs are catered for. The hotel is extremely easy to find, you just need a little common sense, i.e print off the local area map from Google maps and check out Streetview. Stay here with confidence.

Room Tip: All rooms are great, I stayed here twice!
  • Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank Jaszanova
Reviewed 12 October 2011

The Juliana Hotel offered us an experience of a lifetime. From Holland I traveled with a friend to Cairo to stay (in total) 13 days at this hotel. Our first impression was a good one, after great email contact (other hotels failed in this) they even arranged a FREE pickup service from Cairo International Airport, we arrived around 3 AM, and there he was. Waiting for us. We drove almost half an hour with our newly made friend Ahmed.

We had ordered a SUPERIOR DOUBLE WITH BATHROOM hotelroom. When we arrived at the Hotel our beds were made up, clean and tidy (get cleaned every 2 days), the bathroom was quite big, a welcome surprise. Also a balcony! Really big window view and ofcourse inside the room an A/C. The daily rates are really good ones, especially considering the location! Secure location in Garden City(even though we had no bad experiences in entire Egypte whatsoever) and its approximately 20 minutes of walking distance from the famous Tahrir Square where there is an abundance of things to do and see.

During our stay we (us being students of 22 and 23) got acquainted and even befriended with a lot of employees. They were friendly, really helpfull, and if you want they would even arrange tours and amaaazing nights out. If you really wanna discover Cairo, ask for Karim, the best staff-employee imho. He knows some great places to eat, some great photograph places and even though he thinks his English isnt as good as his brother, my friend and I both disagree respectfully!

Room Tip: If your travelling in pairs choose room number 14, we were told it has the best view
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 October 2011

We stayed in juliana hotel in Sep 2011 and honestly it was excellent ! It's Very Clean , Very friendly staff and very helpful too , Excellent location put you close to everywhere ! , very safe area and well secured located in the heart of GardenCity , all the staff were so nice and would do whatever they could to assist you ! , my wife and I are travelers and been to many countries and Juliana hotel standards are excellent and their rates are very convienent and good ! I'm consedring to stay there again next time soon i'm in Cairo !
Mina Megalla

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank menamour3000
Reviewed 26 September 2011

Hostel is ok and location is great! Close to the river and embassies in the neighborhood. But what I really wanted to mention is that they also arrange for trips (and I was advised to not travel on my own there). I had little time, so focused on the higlights and it only cost U$500/person (the next cheaper agent was charging over twice fo the same itinerary):

Nov 6th: accomodation at Juliana, Nile cruise and museum

Nov 7\8th: Trip to the piramids and Cairo, visiting mesquita, kahn el khalli. At night, transfer to train station to catch the overnight train to Luxor (tickets included).

Nov 8th: trips in Luxor: temples, valley of the kings and queens. Transfer to airport to catch flight to Sharm (ticket not included). Pick up at airport and transfer to Mt. Moses directly from the airport.

Nov 9th: sun rise at Mt. Moses (you have to hire a local beduin guide). We gave up visiting the monastery and asked to be taken directly to Dahab, where we would spend the last days of the trip.

Still in the price we had a day trip Colored and White canyons (amazing!) and transfer back to Sharm's airport. Tremendous value for money and impecable service. He didn't asked for any advance eventough he had to buy the train tickets: we paid full on arrival at very egyptian stile! On our last day in Cairo, the driver scheduled to take us to the train station didn't show up, so the guy from front desk went with us in a regular cab he waived at street.

Perfect!