“super nice staff but...” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cairo Moon Hotel

Cairo Moon Hotel
Ranked #4 of 48 Cairo B&B and Inns
Vancouver, B.C. Canada
“super nice staff but...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2011

I hesitate to criticize Cairo Moon because Mohammed and his staff are trying so hard to make a go of it. But we encountered a number of problems, most serious of which was the lack of water (not just hot water but any water). We would come back or wake up to find it off. We usually had to wait only 15 minutes or so for it to come back on. To be fair, it's not their fault but due to building repairs/renovation. But you might check first to see if it has been solved. (When the water was on, the lack of a bath mat meant a perpetually flooded floor). Also we had to ask to have our room made up when we would return in late afternoon. But they did respond quickly when we asked.
The one thing I really didn't like was the driver (Raouf) supplied by the hotel for our pyramid excursion. We really wanted to get to Giza at its 8:00 opening but arrived 1 hr late because Raouf tried to take us to Dashur first, then lied about the Giza opening hours (as he later lied about the closing hours for Dashur). So we were short on time all day. He wanted us to see Saqqara in 45 minutes and we felt rushed taking 1 1/2 hrs. This may be a common problem -- drivers setting their own itinerary to get back asap. Incidentally, we paid 230 EL for the taxi.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Caminoista

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2011

I stayed here for two weeks at the end of October2011. The staff are wonderful--very friendly and helpful. They also make great coffee (I am an addict!) and serve a nice breakfast to start your day. The price is very good. I wanted to visit museums and the medieval parts of the city and the location downtown is great--easy walking for many things and close to the metro or easy to find a taxi for more distant places. My room was spacious and had a nice balcony. It is on an upper floor of an older bullding, safe, clean, good toilet/shower in the room, wi-fi. You should bring your own towel and soap. It was my first visit to Cairo and I loved the city but didn't have time to do all that I wanted. I plan to go back and will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
Assuit_Egypt
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2011

I have been there 10 days ago..........was a great experience.....I enjoyed the stay there...it was for only one night but I been there for more than once........freindly stuff,helpful,honest and most important RESPECTFULL.......thank you Mohammed...........it will be repeated for sure

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
Uelzen, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2011

I travel often to Cairo on business and found this new hotel Cairo Moon Hotel on my last trip. Everything is new and clean with spacious rooms and balcony. Right in the middle of Down town. The staff was fabulous, so very helpful. Mohamed, the Manager also organises tours and was very efficient, helpful and friendly. Definitely a People's Man with a great sense of Service. A relaxing place to retun to after a day of business in the city. I recommend this hotel for the reasonable and competitve rates for a star hotel.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2011

In mid-October 2011 my nephew (11 yo) and myself stayed at this hotel for 4 days. I think hotels are in general a bit more expensive in Cairo, so I guess it was good value. It's on the 8th floor and there are two very old looking but perfectly functional lifts to get you there. Certainly the room was excellent - air con, spacious, TV; the en suite had plenty of hot water at good pressure and a lovely toilet! One hardly noticed any traffic noise, and yet only a 10 minute or so walk to the Museum of Antiquities and quite a few budget eateries around the area. The cooked breakfast was excellent and varied a bit each day. Free internet access and the staff very helpful. We used them for a car/driver and a guide. All I will say is that you need to ensure your guide understands exactly what you want to get out of the tour, what you are interested and NOT interested in. I think I needed to be a bit more exact in what time I wanted to get started, as the day trip to Giza, Dashur and Sakkara didn't cover (thanks to a Cairo traffic accident), but could have covered, everything if we had started out a lot earlier and made for either Dashur or Sakkara first. As most places don't open until 8am, may as well spend the first part of the morning travelling there.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2011

cairo moon is near the Egyptian Museum, the suit room which I have lived is very big, with very nic night. here is very easy to visit every sight in the city. and the welcome drink is special,the stuff is very friendly and helpful. I think, it's a good place for people to live in Cairo.the one of the Hotel service team, name mohamed is a very nice man, and always smiling, he gave us many good information and idea for traveling.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2011

Wonderfully clean rooms, with clean sheets, en-suite bathrooms (mostly), air conditioning and TVs, what more could you want? And at budget prices.

I stayed with my family and while we're not high maintenance, cleanliness is a must. We felt immediately comfortable in this hotel and it satisfied all our needs. If you're not looking for a lavish hotel-based holiday, all you need is this: a great room in the centre of Cairo with air condition if it gets too hot.

Do check the room first though as not all of them are the same- at least one we saw was not en-suite and another was slightly musty-smelling but had a generous balcony attached. The breakfast is passable, I would recommend the Egyptian breakfast over the French one, if you like falafel and fuul. It often takes quite a while to arrive too so order early or make it clear you're in a hurry. Otherwise, go out for breakfast knowing you haven't already paid a hefty hotel rate for it!

Great staff, very friendly and helpful whenever asked without being pushy or intrusive. Would definitely go again and recommend to friends.

Room Tip: Have a look first and be picky to the extent rooms are available.