“Great Budget Hotel in Cairo”
Review of Cairo Moon Hotel

Cairo Moon Hotel
Ranked #6 of 64 Cairo B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 January 2012

When it comes to budget hotels / guest houses, there is little to beat Cairo Moon.

This was our first stop on our trip to Egypt so naturally we were a little un-sure about a 'hotel' on the 8th floor of a block.

We arrived at around 5.30am and there was no-one to greet us. Bought a sim card at the airport and phoned the hotel - it turned out there had been a misunderstanding as they had expected us in the evening. Within (literally) 10 minutes of our call, the owner, Mohamed had arranged a taxi by phoning his contacts at the airport and we were on our way. (incidentally no charge for the taxi)

None of the budget hotels in Cairo look like anything from the outside and Cairo Moon is no exception. There are, however two old operational lifts that take you to the reception area. Once there you will be looked after by Mohamed and his friendly staff.

They gave us breakfast and a room for the morning as well as tea, coffee and water. We went out later and when we returned we opted for another room as the one we had been given had no outside window. No problem - next day we were given another room more to our liking.

Being a budget hotel, the facilities are basic, but we had satellite TV, en-suite shower (over a small sitting bath - water pressure very low) and fresh sheets every day (if we wanted). The room had a dressing table and two wardrobes (our large family of 4 was staying in the room).

More importantly, when we came down to the lounge and balcony, we were always offered tea or coffee and there was always someone on hand to help us with the intricacies of getting around Cairo. Mohamed owns a tour service but he does not force it on you. If you want something (for example we arranged a taxi to Giza, Saqqara and Mephis and an evening on a boat to see the belly dancing), he will arrange it for a competitive price (no need for incessant bargaining).

He is also a mine of information on what to do in the rest of Egypt and can arrange tours of any other areas if that's what you want.

The hotel is positioned within walking distance of the major markets, the museum (and the Nile) as well as one of the major underground stations (well worth using at 1LE (around US$0.17) to go anywhere on the line.

The room prices are excellent - even by Egypt prices - and tea, coffee or water is provided at any time of the day at no extra charge. Wifi is free as is the use of the hotel computer and even the extra breakfasts that we had on both times we visited were not in the final bill.

We we had booked at the Cairo Moon for 4 days and ended up staying 7. When we returned at the end of our stay, it felt as if we were coming home and we got a welcome to go with it.

Can I recommend it - no question. If you are on holiday or business and you're looking for a central location in Cairo, this is definitely the solution!

Room Tip: There are a couple of not-so good rooms but as we needed 4 beds, I think it was a little more diffic...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank hbblogger

Reviewed 4 January 2012

general opinion is really good service. I stay in three others similar hotel in the Tahir area, but this is for far the best hotel, I have a big room with terrace, breakfast in my room, wi fi internet, bathroom and room really clean, close to the mayor atraction in the center city. I absolutely recomend this hotel for business, friends or family travel. really good experience.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Jorge S
Reviewed 29 December 2011

After 24+ hours of travel time, we arrived to the hotel very late and very exhausted. The hotel is on the 8th floor, yet we were greeted downstairs. Our luggage was brought upstairs as we were escorted up. The staff that greeted us was friendly, welcoming and upbeat. Most hotels would have required us to officially check-in and provide payment. Here however, we were instead escorted to our rooms and told to relax and not worry about anything else.

I can not express how comforting it is to be welcomed in such a manner and to be made to feel as if we were arriving “home.” Especially for us being first time visitors to Egypt. Any apprehension and exhaustion that we felt was immediately erased. What a great first impression of the people of Egypt!

This is a basic hotel but at its price point, you get more than what you pay for. Physically, it is what you would expect in a city with great ancient buildings. Personally, we loved the character and the charm of the hotel. Our room was clean, the bed was clean and comfortable, and the bathroom was functional with a toilet, sink and a hot shower (I later noticed that certain rooms had bathtubs as well). The room had an AC, however in December there is no need for the AC. Our room had a large balcony. We enjoyed many Turkish coffees here. If you are a particular person, I would recommend that you bring your own blanket and your own towel.

Our housekeeper did such a good job of cleaning, that she would even pick up, fold and hang our clothes! Living off 2 backpacks can get really messy and I really appreciated this extra detail.

The hotel is in a great location. Lots within walking distance: retail shops, outdoor sellers, cafes, restaurants, bakeries, ice cream shops, a pharmacy and banks. Our favorite place was Gad Restaurant open 24 hours (falafel sandwich 1.20 LE), just 2 blocks away. Just around the corner is a man selling chips, candy, soft drinks, and big bottles of water (2 LE). We constantly walked these streets at all hours of the day and night and we always felt very safe. Cairo is a busy and happening city. If you are a light sleeper, bring ear plugs. We were so tired every night that we fell asleep without the need of ear plugs.

The hotel has strong wifi, free. There’s also a computer and printer available for use.

Free continental breakfast is served every morning along with the best cup of Turkish coffee we ever had (see picture). Often we woke up craving an Egyptian breakfast and we were served falafels, foul, mousaka and bread (see picture)… all complimentary. We are coffee addicts and would request Turkish coffee several times a day, again all complimentary. They make a great karkade (hisbiscus tea) too.

Sometimes, we were too tired to go out to eat. We would have food delivered to our room. The staff refused to take payment for our food.

At the end of our stay, Mohammed (the hotel owner) surprised our group and took us on a night time felucca ride on the Nile. He also gave me coffee and hibiscus tea leaves to take home. He was beyond thoughtful to have done all of this for us. 5-Star and Diamond rated hotels have lots to learn and should take lessons from Cairo Moon on how to properly treat their guests.

We have checked in and out of countless hotels. And never have we felt as if we were leaving friends behind. We were treated so nicely here, that we felt sad leaving Mohammed and his staff. Please message me if you have any questions.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank linensandbooks
Reviewed 12 December 2011

I hesitate to criticize Cairo Moon because Mohammed and his staff are trying so hard to make a go of it. But we encountered a number of problems, most serious of which was the lack of water (not just hot water but any water). We would come back or wake up to find it off. We usually had to wait only 15 minutes or so for it to come back on. To be fair, it's not their fault but due to building repairs/renovation. But you might check first to see if it has been solved. (When the water was on, the lack of a bath mat meant a perpetually flooded floor). Also we had to ask to have our room made up when we would return in late afternoon. But they did respond quickly when we asked.
The one thing I really didn't like was the driver (Raouf) supplied by the hotel for our pyramid excursion. We really wanted to get to Giza at its 8:00 opening but arrived 1 hr late because Raouf tried to take us to Dashur first, then lied about the Giza opening hours (as he later lied about the closing hours for Dashur). So we were short on time all day. He wanted us to see Saqqara in 45 minutes and we felt rushed taking 1 1/2 hrs. This may be a common problem -- drivers setting their own itinerary to get back asap. Incidentally, we paid 230 EL for the taxi.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Caminoista
Reviewed 13 November 2011

I stayed here for two weeks at the end of October2011. The staff are wonderful--very friendly and helpful. They also make great coffee (I am an addict!) and serve a nice breakfast to start your day. The price is very good. I wanted to visit museums and the medieval parts of the city and the location downtown is great--easy walking for many things and close to the metro or easy to find a taxi for more distant places. My room was spacious and had a nice balcony. It is on an upper floor of an older bullding, safe, clean, good toilet/shower in the room, wi-fi. You should bring your own towel and soap. It was my first visit to Cairo and I loved the city but didn't have time to do all that I wanted. I plan to go back and will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 October 2011

I have been there 10 days ago..........was a great experience.....I enjoyed the stay there...it was for only one night but I been there for more than once........freindly stuff,helpful,honest and most important RESPECTFULL.......thank you Mohammed...........it will be repeated for sure

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 October 2011

I travel often to Cairo on business and found this new hotel Cairo Moon Hotel on my last trip. Everything is new and clean with spacious rooms and balcony. Right in the middle of Down town. The staff was fabulous, so very helpful. Mohamed, the Manager also organises tours and was very efficient, helpful and friendly. Definitely a People's Man with a great sense of Service. A relaxing place to retun to after a day of business in the city. I recommend this hotel for the reasonable and competitve rates for a star hotel.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family