“An Unforgettable Experience”
Review of Cairo Moon Hotel

Cairo Moon Hotel
Ranked #7 of 67 Cairo B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 June 2016

I'm not usually in the habit of writing reviews, but felt it would be an injustice to the hotel/hostel if I didn't on this occasion.

we've just come back from a 6 night stay, and what can I say? The early morning airport pick-up, (although somewhat delayed due to an accident) was really appreciated.

Prior to visiting, I'd been in touch with Mohammed, articulating my needs - Mohammed was always quick to respond, and we felt that we already had a friend in Cairo. At a time of so-called "turbulence" we felt very safe and secure in making travel arrangements.

We stayed in a private double (room 801) which was lovely and spacious. Although the temperature was early 30's we felt no need to turn the air con on as there was a lovely natural breeze which would enter the room from the balcony.

The hotel arranged our tour to the pyramids at a reasonable price. We were also supposed to see a couple of other places that day, but due to ill health I had to cancel. They were very understanding. They didn't pressure and try to sell further tours.

The friendliness and accommodating nature of the owners were first class. They were always tentative to our needs. At one point I had a couple of nasty mosquito bites (away from the hotel!) and Mohammed was so sweet in going out and buying my some ointment to treat them. He also exchanged our £'s for us at a much better rate than what we got ourselves at the local banks. Furthermore, as I struggled with the local food, they allowed us to use the kitchen to cook up our own meals :-)

Some other pros:
Comfortable bed
Good water pressure
strong WiFi
Clean linen and towels
Clean lobby/room/lounge
TV in room worked :-)
Lift worked

Cons
- Kitchen could do with a makeover
- would've liked a mirror in the room as difficult to apply makeup over the sink in the bathroom ;-)
- bathroom could've done with a shower curtain

We felt very sad when our stay came to an end, and I can honestly say, it felt like leaving behind family. Our only regret is that, we should have extended the stay to a few more nights.

Overall, I would reiterate what other reviewers have said - that if you're not looking for a 5* luxury hotel, and you enjoy hustle and bustle than this is the place for you. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Room 801 / 802 definitely best, however due to being located very near the common room, be prepared...
  • Stayed: May 2016, travelled as a couple
4  Thank naz2511

Reviewed 29 March 2016

We chose to stay at this hotel as it is well located in old Cairo. Four nights say will get you a free pick up at the airport which we were grateful for with our 5:30am arrival. Standard room accommodation was clean and basic with big king-size bed in pleasant room with a balcony and private toilet/bathroom, air-conditioning and complimentary breakfast (tea, boiled eggs, rolls, cheese and jam). A big plus was the friendly and helpful assistance provided by Ibrahim and Hazem who were able to organised tours to the pyramids, Nile supper and a day trip to Alexandria at better prices than on the internet. We had an excellent guide, Maha, who was very informative and always gave us options to consider. The hotel is within a block of great eating options including GAD for local food (which we loved), Illy for Italian menu, and KFC. We could also walk from here to to the Khan el Khalili bazaar - about 20 minutes! Thanks Ibrahim for helping us plan our few days in busy, bustling Cairo.

Room Tip: Ask for room 801 for big king-size bed or 802 for separate beds; both these rooms have a private bal...
  • Stayed: March 2016, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Anthony N
Reviewed 19 March 2016

It was a quick, yet wonderful stay at Cairo Moon! The staff made us feel at home right away and were very personable and helpful. They made extra effort to make sure we were acquainted, comfortable and enjoying our time while we were in Cairo. I recommend to do a tour to the Pyramids through Cairo Moon! Maha, our guide, was wonderful! She was extremely knowledgeably, funny and kind.

If you are looking for a convenient, cheap and cozy place to stay, Cairo Moon is the place for you!

• Stayed: March 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank Melinda M
Reviewed 20 February 2016

It is a basic hotel with basic amenities you need but best of all is the hospitality. The staff at this hotel is excellent. Mohammed and Ibrahim give you the best advice on where to go, where to eat, what to buy, ect. The room was very spacious, clean and comfortable. Talaat Harb and Tahrir Square are a very brief walk from the hotel.
I had a marvelous stay in Cairo at Cairo Moon Hotel. I absolutely recomend this hotel for friends or family travel. Very good experience.

• Stayed: December 2015, travelled solo
2  Thank nawel m
Reviewed 15 November 2015 via mobile

Ask for Ibrahim who was courteous and helpful. The hospitality was pleasant. I felt safe in Egypt the whole time. Ibrahim put together an affordable program for me that included amazing sites in both Cairo and Luxor. I definitely hope to visit again someday soon. Thank you all again for the wonderful experience.
Kind regards,
Andrew Bradley

Stayed: November 2015, travelled solo
2  Thank 4thepe0ple
Reviewed 6 October 2015

I was picked up by Mohamed for free from my other hotel. We discussed Egyptian politics, sights in Cairo, and other things over coffee at the hotel.

The room was very spacious, and looked lived in. It was like being in an old apartment, with wonderful views from my personal balcony. I also had no issues with the wifi. However, I should point out that the shower has no curtain and is fairly small, so expect the bathroom to get wet while you shower (the water pressure, temperature, etc. was perfectly fine).

Talaat Harb and Tahrir Square are a very brief walk from the hotel, as is Khan el Khalili in Islamic Cairo. I never had to take taxis anywhere because I enjoyed walking around Cairo so much. Zamalek is also very easy to access.

The hotel is surrounded by fantastic shopping, amazing shisha and delicious, affordable restaurants. And again, the staff could not be any more helpful or friendly.

There was only one unfortunate experience, and that was when I was being dropped off at the airport when I was leaving. I had forgotten to look up what terminal I was flying out of, so my driver asked a security guard at the airport. The security guard told him my airline leaves from terminal 3, when in fact it actually leaves from terminal 1. I ended up having to quickly hail another taxi so I would not miss my flight. So, don't be like me and forget to look up the terminal.

I cannot recommend this hotel any more, because you are really made to feel like you are at home. You can also expect some truly delicious coffee and breakfast.

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled solo
3  Thank Thorin E
Reviewed 9 January 2015

Visited Egypt in December over the festive period and my base was at the Cairo Moon Hotel.
It is a basic hotel with all the basic amenities you need but best of all is the hospitality you are welcomed with and this hospitality will continue to the end of your stay.
The hotel is run by two lovely brothers - Mohammed and Ibraheem who will look after your every need and will advise you on any grey areas you may have.
I arrived at 01.00am on christmas day and was welcomed by brother Ibraheem who asked me what my agenda was for my Egypt trip. After telling him that my plan was just to get a few hours sleep and see the pyramids and that is all I had in mind for the moment, he then arranged all the details for the remainder of my Egypt trip so I had a private taxi and guide to see Alexandria and all the sites of Luxor (I already pre-booked the flight) and on my last day they organised a Nile dinner cruise which was absolutely fantastic. Such service and hospitality is rare in the modern world where ever you may travel so I cannot thank them enough for making my whole Egypt experience a memorable one.
If you stay at this hotel and are a person who is happy with basic amenities, will spend most of your day travelling/exploring Egypt rather than staying in your Hotel and want to get a feel of what life is like in the heart of downtown Cairo than definitely book a room here and do not organise anything in terms of tours as Mohammed and Ibraheem will organise all these for you and for a very reasonable rate compared to if you booked them from the UK.

Jazaak'allah Khayrun (May God reward them) brothers Muhammed and Ibraheem and I am already missing their kind nature.

Rahul