“Great location, great staff”

InterContinental Cairo Semiramis
Ranked #13 of 141 Hotels in Cairo
Reviewed 16 October 2011

I stayed here for the first time and enjoyed my stay. The hotel staff were helpful, the location was excellent and the amenities were wonderful. The food prices were reasonable.

Room Tip: Pick a room facing the Nile. There is a great laundry place just outside the hotel where you can do...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
marclambert, Manager at InterContinental Cairo Semiramis, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2011

Dear Mr. whslc,

Thank you very much for your review on the Semiraimis InterContinental Hotel in Cairo. It is a pleasure knowing you enjoyed your October- stay with us and that we were up to your expectations.

My name is Marc Lambert, Executive Assistant Manager [marc.lambert@semiramisic.com] and I am looking forward to welcome you back at the Semiramis InterContinental Hotel in the near future.

Marc

Write a ReviewReviews (1,522)

Reviewed 16 October 2011

I organized a conference in Semiramis in Oct 2011 and had stayed there myself in 7 days. I was not so impressed when I first came in and thought this was just like any other business hotel (I booked everything without seeing it because I am sitting in Stockholm). Just like any business hotel, it has tight security, lots of people hanging around, etc, etc. But throughout the stay, I experienced and appreciated the high service of most of the staff.

To be specific, there are some who exceeded my expectations in service they rendered, they went out their way to be a step ahead of what is expected of them. I think they deserve special mention and I hope management will be able to recognise their efforts. In my 3-day conference, Khaled of Banqueting did extremely good job together with the rest of the banqueting team in Blue Nile and Teeba Rooms. Amr of Concierge is extremely professional and efficient. The staff in Night & Day are also good, there were some who seemed lost/confused. There were two who were outstanding: Hatem, one of the waiters and Ebrahim who cooks the egg. They were genuinely service-oriented.

I was fortunate to get a room with a view of Nile River, very lovely. I would recommend to future guests to pay that extra price for the view. It is so nice to sit in your balcony in the evening and just watch the river, bridges, plus with extra honking from cars which make you realise you are in Cairo. The bathrooms are indeed dated, as some other reviewers said and the towels have to be cleaned better. I did see hair in the towel and it is a real turn off.

The restaurants in the hotel are of high standards in my opinion: Birdcage, Sabaya, Night & Day. the staff in these aforementioned restaurants are very friendly, most esp Mohamed Kamal of Sabaya. The Italian restaurant offered me pasta which was too salty for my taste but they offer good view of the Nile with the salt so if you do not have kidney problems, you can take that view in exchange for high salt content. Or maybe ask to lessen the salt?

The presence of small shops in the hotel and that they are open quite late is something I appreciated. I did not really go out so much so I did most shopping. The clothes shop (I think it is Mobaco Cotton, which has a branch in Paris) has some real nice clothing items.

Overall, I wouldn't mind using Semiramis again in the future if I were to organize another event in Cairo. It is centrally located, whcih is both good and bad. It is near the Egyptian Museum but also near the Tahrir Square. It is close to the US and British Embassy which is both good and bad security-wise: security risk but then you know you git lots of security presence within the vicinity.

Reviewed 12 October 2011

I have just returned today from four nights here. I used to come to Cairo twice a year and, because I liked the location, stayed here or at the (now closed) Nile Hilton. I never particularly liked this hotel but stayed purely out of convenience. I have now been away for 2 years and the hotel looks "re born." Staff seem motivated, interested and well trained. Management team go out of their way to be approachable. Restaurants offer a good variety, and reasonable value and excellent service. Particularly enjoyed the Italian, Lebanese and Thai restaurants. Poolside could do with a "refresh" but still a great place to spend an hour or two in the Cairo sun.
I am really looking forward to my next visit.

Reviewed 12 October 2011

Cannot forget this experience in Semiramis. I loved it at first sight ! I used to travel to Cairo once a month for the period 2009-2010 and I've chosen Semiramis for my stay.
Rooms are great, food is tasty, I strongly raccommend Thai restaurant..Position is ideal to work and to go out, near the center and near downtown..
People are nice and warm..as the wheather..lovely as Cairo !

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 October 2011

I've stayed at the Hilton and the Marriott in Cairo but the Semiramis is the best. Great location, excellent service, it doesn't disappoint.
The Lebanese and Thai restaurants are very good and the breakfast buffet is excellent.
Two small things that they should address: there were no newspapers at the breakfast buffet and there is no wifi in the hotelroom. Otherwise: very good

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
marclambert, Manager at InterContinental Cairo Semiramis, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2011

Dear Mr. Bashi_Mwepu,

Thank you very much for your review and your recommendation to the Semiraimis InterContinental Hotel. I was much pleased to know that you had tried our variety of restaurants and that you liked the experience of the Bird Cage ‘Thai’ and Sabaya ‘Lebanese’ as well as the breakfast buffet of our Night and Day. I will sure pass your comment to the F&B Management and restaurants crews.

Meanwhile, I would like to let you know that newspapers are displayed, during breakfast time, on the hostess desk for guest request. As for the WiFi, yes, we currently have it only on public areas from the Lobby until the fourth floor to include all restaurants, function rooms, health club and swimming pool.

My name is Marc Lambert, marc.lambert@semiramisic.com, and I am looking forward to welcome you back at the Semiramis Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 11 October 2011

First stay in an Intercontinental. Very impressed with the security, sniffer dogs (trained or untrained who knows) metal detectors and x-ray at the entrance that is reassuring given the current security concerns in the country.
Reception and indeed all staff are exceptionally friendly and helpful. In the hotel there is a full range of shops that are open until late including a pharmacy.
The rooms are large and are stocked to the standard that one would expect of this sort of hotel. There is a swimming pool and a very well equipped gym on the fourth floor which is good given the quality of the buffet breakfast! Again very helpful staff there.
I would certainly recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to this part of the world.
One minor issue is the fact that the hotel is very close to Tahir Square where demonstrations tend to happen. This said the security at the hotel is very good as mentioned at the beginning.

Room Tip: It might be good to ask for a room overlooking the Nile instead of Tahir Square which can be quite l...

Dear Mr. OldPArr,

I would like to thank you for sharing online your experience at the Semiramis InterContinental during your October -stay.

My name is Marc Lambert, marc.lambert@semiramisic.com, and I am Looking forward to welcome you back at the Semiramis Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 29 September 2011

ended our holiday in egypt on a high - friendly service from the moment we walked in - we were not able to get a river view room eventhough the hotel did not seem too full - we faced the sqaure and this led to some noice from the crazy cairo traffic - the room was beautiful and spacious - curtains kept the light out until a decent hour - well kept with all the necessary amenities - the hotel brochure is on the interactive channel is a great idea - the bathroom was very clean and well kept - the in-bath shower is a bit small to move in freely - we had dinner at the recommended BIRDCAGE restaurant downstairs - it was great and well priced - wide range of other restaurants in the hotel - dissapointed that we did not have WiFi in our room but you get 24hr free Wifi on levels 1 to 4 - then there was the breakfast - wow - it was one of the best spreads I've seen - all fresh including all the pastries and the choice of up to 8 fresh juices - your coffee is served in large mugs and feels like a bottomless pit - the gym was good - we had a late lunch in the Tea Garden that a bit disappointing - will certainly recommend the hotel to all visitors to cairo

Room Tip: get a river view room
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
marclambert, Manager at InterContinental Cairo Semiramis, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2011

Dear Mr. hermanjvr,

‘Shokran Gazeelen’ Thank you very much for posting your review. I was pleased to read that you and your partner enjoyed your September-stay at the Semiramis InterContinental Hotel and I hope to welcome you back in the near future, where all effort will be exerted to make your stay an enjoyable one.

Executive Assistant Manager