New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #8 of 139 Hotels in Cairo
Weston, Connecticut
“Five-Star Service!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2012

We had never been to Egypt before so I wanted to make sure that we were staying in a reputable hotel that offered an airport transport. We paid for the $60 airport transfer in a Mercedes sedan. It's a little steep for Egyptian prices, but in U.S. prices it wasn't that bad and we didn't want to experience any problems getting to our hotel.

The hotel also offers this AMAZING airport service. As soon as we walked into the airport terminal, we were met by a gentleman with our name on a placard. He literally held our hand through the immigration process. He showed us where to buy our visas, filled out our visa forms for us, was able to get us to skip the entire immigration line (by just walking up to the officers on the side and showing him our passports and paperwork), and waited for our luggage. Then he handed us over to our driver who took us straight to the hotel.

The hotel has more security than any other hotel I've ever been to. The hotel car had to be sniffed by a bomb-sniffing dog before we were allowed to enter the driveway. Our luggage had to go through an airport-grade x-ray machine. They found our swiss army knife, which had to be "weapon checked" for the length of our stay. Every time we entered and exited the hotel we had to go through a metal detector.

Our room was extremely comfortable. We were enticed to pay for a Club room so that we could enjoy the internet and refreshments, so that we would not have to find food outside of the hotel. Our room met our expectations. We paid for a City View room, but we had a corner room with balcony views of both Tahrir Square AND the Nile! Our beds were extremely comfortable. The wired internet in the room was the fastest that I experienced ANYWHERE throughout my travels of the Middle East and Africa (It was like U.S.A. quality!!! Even our hotels in Dubai didn't match the internet speed in Egypt). The toiletries were very nice - L'Occitane!

We loved the Club floor. We spend 24 hours in the hotel, and didn't have to eat anywhere else but in the Club room. The heavy appetizer buffet (aka our dinner) was sufficient. We were able to arrange for a late check out at 4PM, and then stayed in the Club room for a couple more hours until we had to leave to take a taxi to our tour group. There is wireless internet in the Club Room (but only a wired connection in the room).

There was also FREE wireless in the hotel lobby. Usually something unheard of in a 5-star hotel.

The concierge and business center WERE AMAZING. I had a very important package shipped to me from the U.S. and the hotel was so helpful making sure that it arrived safely and passed through customs. They were very quick in contacting me and keeping me abreast of the situation. We also had to mail a 20kg package back to the U.S. and the business center was so helpful and patient in that tedious process.

The concierge was also very helpful in giving us directions to a FedEx location and the U.S. embassy. They even called the joining hotel for our tour to see what time our joining meeting was. The doorman was so helpful finding us a taxi across town, after most taxis "rejected" us because it was such a "short" distance.

The service we received from the Intercontinental Semiramis was exceptional. I will not hesitate to stay here again. Also, we staying in late October, but Cairo was calm. The U.S. news hype did not seem deserved.

Room Tip: We paid for a city view room on the Club floor, but because we had the corner room at the end of the...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Marc L, Manager at InterContinental Cairo Semiramis, responded to this review, 21 February 2012
Dear Anfdiva25,

My name is Marc Lambert, Executive Assistant Manager [marc.lambert@semiramisic.com] and I would like to thank you very much for your review on the Semiraimis InterContinental Cairo. It was a pleasure reading that you and your friends have enjoyed your stay with us.

Your nice comments about our hotel and staff members are very much appreciated, please rest assured that your kind words will be passed on to them.

I hope that you will always consider the Semiramis your home away from home where no effort will be saved to render each and every stay a most memorable one.

I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you and your friends back to the Semiramis InterContinental Cairo.

Marc

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
Irvine, California, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2012

This hotel offers everything for everybody: best location, excellent view, comfortable rooms, tasty food, friendly staff and good value!

On the negative side, some rooms need maintenance (phone cable was broken), some old furniture, room was cold on one of the nights. But none of this could detract from the pleasure of everything else.

Room Tip: Pick Nile view rooms around 1134, you will see the Nile as a lake and not a segment of a river. see...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Dear DimasR,

My name is Marc Lambert, Executive Assistant Manager [marc.lambert@semiramisic.com] and I would like to thank you very much for your review on the Semiraimis InterContinental Cairo. It was a pleasure reading that you have enjoyed your stay with us.

As for the broken phone cable, it is already fixed. You are important to us and your satisfaction is our most important goal.

I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Semiramis InterContinental Cairo.

Sao Paulo, SP
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2012

The Semiramis is well located, next to the US Embassy and close to the main avenues. It has nice restaurants, one barbecue grill next to the pool. For Western women I would strongly recommend going light in the swimsuits since many men from Arabic and African countries are not used to see women wearing small bikinis.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
Dear RenataBiancalana,

My name is Marc Lambert, Executive Assistant Manager [marc.lambert@semiramisic.com] and I would like to thank you very much for your review on the Semiraimis InterContinental Cairo. It was a pleasure reading that you and your family have enjoyed your stay with us.

As for the swimsuits issue, we have not received any comment regarding the swimsuits before as the Semiramis InterContinental is an international brand hotel and we receives international guests.

I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you and your family back to the Semiramis InterContinental Cairo.

Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2012

Initially, I chose this hotel for the location and the good deal they provided for "Club" rooms. The room we got after checking in past midnight and passing through pretty intense security(we could not take our swiss knife with us and had to check it in?)was nice and spacious with a fantastic view of the Nile and the city. Could not ask for better view. The location was indeed central and convenient for the museum and other sites. The hotel also had restaurants and a shopping arcade which was nice.
Now the problem I had with the hotel was the so called "Club" option for which one pays extra. The breakfast was just ok. I found later that you could request falafel and other choices, however, no one mentioned it. Perhaps a little menu of options would be helpful. The tea time was very mediocre compared to some of the other "Clubs", where I enjoyed sandwiches, spirits and other goodies. This "Club" only had pastries. The "happy hour" spirits choices were pathetic. International airlines offer more choice. Only whisky for liquor and couple of beers and wine. The actual food options were good. However, overall I was very disappointed. One of the previous reviews indicated this was the best "Club" service he received. I have no idea where he stayed. Also, service wise there was one server compared to 3-4 hotel people in suits milling about. The lounge area was nice and comfortable, where we got to use wifi. I agree with the previous reviewer- they should provide wifi in the rooms especially, the club rooms. The club eating area also provided a nice view of Tahrir square. Overall, I would recommend this hotel, but not the "Club", unless they take it up a notch.

Dear TorontoVa,

My name is Marc Lambert, Executive Assistant Manager and I would like to thank you very much for your review on the Semiraimis InterContinental Cairo. It was a pleasure reading that you and your family have enjoyed your stay with us.

However, we are sad for not being up to your expectations in the club lounge, as this does not reflect our usual standards. You are important to us and your satisfaction is our most important goal.

We have reviewed all food contents with the chef and we are working now on a new setup to be implemented soon.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of further assistance, my email is: [marc.lambert@semiramisic.com]

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2012

We were a family of five booked in two adjoining rooms and the hotel went out of their way to ensure that we had a comfortable and safe stay whilst in Cairo. The gym was well used and the balcony overlooking the Nile was sensational. Free wifi in the lobby or cable in the room enabled us to stay up to date with blog updates and news from home. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Get a room overlooking the Nile.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Marc L, Manager at InterContinental Cairo Semiramis, responded to this review, 29 January 2012
Dear Mark A,

Thank you very much for your review on the Semiraimis InterContinental Cairo. It was a pleasure reading that you and your family have enjoyed your stay with us.

My name is Marc Lambert, Executive Assistant Manager [marc.lambert@semiramisic.com] and I am looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you and your family back to the Semiramis InterContinental Cairo.

Hong Kong
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2012

I actually moved to this hotel from another (which was awful)! The location is great, the desk staff were excellent. The food in both room service and at the the restaurants (tried 3) was very good. I had a balcony facing the Nile - great view! The room was excellent - comfy bed, great amenities, etc. The only drawback to this hotel is the wifi in the rooms. They have wifi only in the lower 4 public floors, but not the rooms. They have cables in the room for internet access, but for all those who have Mac items (iPad, MacBook Air, etc), this is NOT a good option! PLEASE upgrade and get wifi in your rooms - this is a basic in better hotels today!!!!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
Dear Okayiguess,

Thank you very much for your review on the Semiraimis InterContinental Cairo. It was a pleasure reading that you have enjoyed your stay with us.

Your concern about WIFI connectivity on the floors will be taken into consideration.

My name is Marc Lambert, Executive Assistant Manager [marc.lambert@semiramisic.com] and I am looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Semiramis InterContinental Cairo.

Philadelphia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2012

We good a great corner suite with 2 balconies overlooking the Nile and Tahrir Square. The views of the Nile, and the constant roar of traffic and night clubs made the balconies exciting, but with the windows closed the room was almost silent. The living room / office area was huge, and the bed room was quite large and quite comfortable. Breakfast in the Club was convenient, and my wife always enjoys drinks and snacks in the club in the evening. Staff was great. And with the view of Tahrir Square from the Club you can get a sense of how the day is going to be. Location was great ... on the Nile, close to the Square, close to the Metro. I will definitely return. And yes, despite the disturbances in Cairo, this hotel feels perfectly safe and perfectly secure.

Room Tip: I am a frequent guest at InterContinental Hotels and a member of their Ambassadors Club. It costs...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Marc L, Manager at InterContinental Cairo Semiramis, responded to this review, 9 February 2012
Dear WISEGUY572,

I do hope that you will always consider the Semiramis your home away from home where no effort will be saved to render each and every stay a most memorable one.