“Ambassador Club stay”

InterContinental Cairo Semiramis
Ranked #13 of 139 Hotels in Cairo
Reviewed 18 March 2012

One of the bigger players in Cairo. I think it’s pretty safe to say that this has good international standards across the board for security, facilities, food & professionalism.

Upon check-in, our Ambassador Club status was identified & we were escorted to the Executive Floor for the VIP check-in in the Club Lounge. The Ambassador treatment was in full swing. Larger rooms on Executive floor, our free upgrade. A plate of fruit, free bottled water, bathrobes, slippers, an Ambassador gift & best of all, L’Occitane bath products. No problems or charge from housekeeping when we ran out & requested more. The phone had that great 1 touch service button where you can speak to a customer service person who can answer questions or solve issues for you.

The Club Lounge: the choice of beers, spirits & wine was very limited. The canapés during unlimited drinks/Happy Hour was also limited to a few choices & disappointing compared to other InterC’s, cost cutting for food in an International 5 star hotel is a worry especially in a VIP lounge. The Club Lounge staff were friendly & professional with serving alcohol but I sensed they weren’t impressed with me in the company of 2 young women.

Our balcony facing the Nile offered fantastic sunset views of the world’s longest river, was the best thing about the hotel. Thai restaurants in Egypt are a rare thing but the Bird’s Cage served excellent quality food staffed by a Thai head chef. The Ambassador Club is a bar on the 2nd level that only serves alcohol furnished in old world decor & leather seats. Pork is served at buffet breakfast but isn’t labelled, was pretty average anyway. The hotel is just behind Tahrir Square, the main rallying point of the recent revolution & very close to the world famous Egyptian Antiquities Museum.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank The_Pale_Ridah
Marc L, Executive Assistant Manager at InterContinental Cairo Semiramis, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2012

Dear Genghis-Kwan,

My name is Marc Lambert, Executive Assistant Manager, marc.lambert@ihg.com and I would like to thank you ‘Shokran Gazeelen’ for your review on the Semiramis InterContinental Cairo. It was my pleasure reading that you and your friends did enjoy your stay with us in November 2011.

Looking for ward for the pleasure of welcoming you and your friends back to the Semiramis in the near future.

There are newer reviews for InterContinental Cairo Semiramis

Reviewed 18 March 2012

The Semiramis in central Cairo is perfectly located for a Cairo weekend. Located on the Nile, the rooms have a lovely nile and city view. The rooms are renovated, clean and provide lovely bath products and detached hair dryer (such a treat when most rooms in the region have the type that are attached to the wall of the bathroom). The staff was accommodating, and responded to our requests within minutes. We especially enjoyed the value of the Club Floor. It is well worth paying a bit extra for this special treatment. The room overlooks Tahir Square, and there is a lovely breakfast and evening buffet available. The exterior of the hotel is dated, but the friendliness and profesionalism of the staff more than made up for this. You can easily and safely walk from this hotel to the Cairo museum, the Zamalak area across the Nile, and many nearby restaurants and shops.

Room Tip: Visit Cairo now! Don't be afraid of the turmoil, we felt very safe. The prices are terrific, t...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NickiMaus
Marc L, Manager at InterContinental Cairo Semiramis, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2012

Dear NickiMaus,

My name is Marc Lambert, Executive Assistant Manager [marc.lambert@semiramisic.com] and I would like to thank you very much for your review on the Semiraimis InterContinental Cairo. It was a pleasure reading that you and your partner have enjoyed your stay with us.

Your nice comments about our hotel are very much appreciated.

I hope that you will always consider the Semiramis your home away from home where no effort will be saved to render each and every stay a most memorable one.

I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you and your partner back to the Semiramis InterContinental Cairo.

Reviewed 2 March 2012

Arrived on Thursday February 2nd, the day after the Port Said football stadium massacre.
Opulent five star hotel on the edge of a "war zone"!
Welcome and transfer to room was painless. Bedroom situated on Northern side of hotel overlooking Tahrir Square. Large comfortable beds with supply of fresh fruit on arrival and one litre of bottled water.
Dark on arrival but seemed a lot of noise from the square, which on investigation was populated with thousands of people who had come to protest at the ministry of internal affairs about 300metres east of the square. Lot of hooting of horns, ambulance sirens and general hubbub, but when patio door closed well enough insulated from noise to allow a restful night's sleep.
Friday night different, after lunchtime prayers, the crowds started to build up and skirmishes between army and protesters began around darkness and continued well into small hours of Saturday.
Despite this going on outside the hotel, it was all peace and tranquility inside. Restaurants as normal, piano playing gently in background and staff attending to your needs.
Relax in the 4th floor gym, sauna,solarium and have a swim in beautifully heated outdoor pool all to yourself.
Drinks before dinner in the Ambassador club and choice of Italian,French,Thai or local restaurants all under same roof.
Oblivious to goings on nearby.
As a Belfast native, reminded me of the Europa Hotel on Great Victoria Street half way between Sandy Row and the Divis Street flats.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Marc L, Manager at InterContinental Cairo Semiramis, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2012

Dear Ailbe,

My name is Marc Lambert, Executive Assistant Manager [marc.lambert@semiramisic.com] and I would like to thank you very much for your review on the Semiraimis InterContinental Cairo. It was a pleasure reading that you have enjoyed your stay with us.

Your nice comments about our hotel are very much appreciated.

I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Semiramis InterContinental Cairo.

Reviewed 23 February 2012

This is my second stay at this fabulous hotel, security is excellent, brillant staff, and so much to offer at breakfst like fresh honey, and having fresh bread made from the traditional oven that is situated in the kitchen. Bedrooms are cleaned everyday without fail, the Nile view is breathtaking but the city view is just as good. Great balconys to sit and watch the world go bye, great tea and cofee making facilities in bedroom.
The staff who run the Health and Fitness area are top class, especially Hossama the fitness instructor, he was always there to attend our every need. The outdoor heated pool was top class, didnt want to get out of it as it was cold outside. There is also a small shopping mall in the hotel, from a pharmacy to a flower shop, which helped as it was valentines. The location is excellent as the Egyption Museum and the River Nile is just outside the hotel. Dont listen to media hype as life is going on normally. Food is cheaper outside, there are lovely restaurants on Sureya Street and pay not more than 20 egyption pounds to get there! Cant wait to go back!!!

Room Tip: Nile views are a bit noisy because of the cruise boats thats have music blasting out all night and e...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Basearat M

Dear Basearat M,

Reviewed 23 February 2012

Indeed a very pleasant stay. Perfect service, large rooms and if your room is not facing the Nile but has cityview you can still enjoy the Nile view from the pool terrace and swim in the nice heated pool. The hotel has three good restaurants one of the, the Bird Cage, is among the absolute best in town.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business

Dear Laugesen,

It was a pleasure reading that you have enjoyed your stay with us and also enjoyed our Thai restaurant “Bird Cage”.

Reviewed 16 February 2012

I stayed at this hotel on 3 occasions in January/February 2012. I found the staff to be extremely efficient, friendly and helpful. Breakfast was exceptionally good, with the best fruit juice I have ever tasted. Evening meals were very good, and the waiter remembered what type of wine I liked, even after a gap of 2 weeks.
I had three different rooms, each one excellent. Two had views of the Nile, and one towards the Egyptian museum.
The hotel is in a very good location, very close to the Egyptian museum, about 5 minutes walk depending on traffic. It was pleasant to walk along the Nile, watching the activity on the river. Wifi available in the lobby.
I will return to this hotel when next in Cairo.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo

Dear Arapuni,

Reviewed 12 February 2012

I stayed 3 nights at the "Semiramis" in Jan. 2012; the hotel had been arranged as part of a package for a "Viking" river cruise, so I did not select the room myself. The hotel, room, and amenities exceeded my expectations. It's one of the most luxurious hotels I've ever visited. I was especially impressed by their security measures; the x-ray machine detected the Swiss army knife that my late husband had left in the suitcase I used. I signed a receipt for it, and it was returned promptly when I departed. There are several ATM machines in the hotel, which made it easy to obtain Egyptian pounds. I found it impossible to cash traveler's checks anywhere on this trip. Also impressive was the breakfast buffet; there was a wide variety of breakfast foods, the omelets are made to order, and service was outstanding. I was sorry my visit had to end so soon.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
Marc L, Manager at InterContinental Cairo Semiramis, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2012

Dear Juana42,