“Semiramis Cairo”

InterContinental Cairo Semiramis
Ranked #13 of 139 Hotels in Cairo
Reviewed 28 June 2012

I recently spent a few nights in The Intercontinental Semiramis in Cairo and a had a wonderful time. Everything was taken care of for me from the bellhop on. I had pre-booked a room online and check-in was easy and painless. My room was a deluxe Nile room view with balcony and I wasn't disappointed. I was on the 10th floor and found it adequate for the noise and inevitable car horns that honk with no end in Cairo. I had a king size bed and the sheets and pillows were great, I overslept the first night because I was so comfortable. Being Egypt, the sheets were fine cotton. The room was spacious with a bed, desk, reading chair with footstool and side table. There was an in-room safe and mini bar, coffee, huge closet, A/C, TV. It was everything I would have expected from a five star hotel. My only complaint would have been not having a mini-fridge outside of the mini bar itself. The bathroom was also very comfortable with toilet, be dais, sink with a lot of space and shower/tub. Amenities were included, soaps, robes, slippers, again incredible large cotton towels. I have to comment on the shower in that it was one of the best showers I have taken. The water pressure and volume were astounding and the head was mounted where a tall person doesn't have to lean over. The shower was welcome after long days in Cairo sightseeing. The hotel has a pool, I saw lots of people out there during the day. There are many shops and services available like laundry, banking, and a full business center which I also used the services of. The Hotel has several options for dining and I ate at three of them. Sabaya, a Lebanese restaurant, The Birdcage is Thai and was fantastic, and Pana Vino was Italian. At night they set the tables up around the pool and options to eat outside are available as are room service from any of the restaurants. There were other restaurants and cafes as well but this was all that I ate. All three were exceptional in price and quality. There is a small casino on the property with roulette and blackjack and slots, stays open twenty four hours. Transportation is convenient at the hotel as well. The Cairo metro stop is at Tahrir Square just one block away. Cabs are lined up outside on the street. It is on a very desirable location on the corniche overlooking Zamalek and the Nile. The main shopping streets are within a few blocks in all directions. The Semiramis would be my first choice when in Cairo again

Room Tip: Get a deluxe Nile room view or get as high as you can for views over Cairo. If traffic noise bothers...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank Robert C
Marc L, Executive Assistant Manager at InterContinental Cairo Semiramis, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2012

Dear Robert c,

My name is Marc Lambert, Executive Assistant Manager, marc.lambert@ihg.com and I would like to thank you ‘Shokran Gazeelen’ for your review on the Semiramis InterContinental Cairo. It was my pleasure reading that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel.

Looking forward for the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Semiramis in the near future.

There are newer reviews for InterContinental Cairo Semiramis

Reviewed 28 June 2012

nice hotel but little expensive. You can find many resturants at the hotel and you can enjoy also at the casino.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business

Dear feysalt,

Reviewed 27 June 2012

The hotel is huge but, the lobby and the security is a put off. The staff at the check-in could be more friendlier, the bathrooms need updating. Even though there were hardl many guests there, they refuse to upgrade our room to nile view. There was a "co-operate/business" like atmosphere there, where I did not feel valued. On plus side the holtel is at the heart of cairo and we could go to all the attraction easily and cheaply.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear rahman352,

Reading through your comments, I do apologize for not being able to deliver the InterContinental Experience during your stay in the hotel, where our guests are our main interest .

Looking forward for the pleasure of welcoming you and your partner back to the Semiramis, where no effort will be spared to make your next stay an enjoyable one.

Reviewed 19 June 2012

I was staying at the club floor during a business trip to Cairo and MUST say that the staff at the 18. th floor is beyond fantastic. All are kind, helpful, patient, and create perfect sorroundings needed on a business trip.
I warmly recommend Semiramis with its dedicated staff.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business

Dear allan S,

My name is Marc Lambert, Executive Assistant Manager, marc.lambert@ihg.com and I would like to thank you ‘Shokran Gazeelen’ for your review on the Semiramis InterContinental Cairo. It was my pleasure reading that you enjoyed your stay t the hotel during your business trip.

I will certainly pass your comment to the Club Lounge team.

Reviewed 18 June 2012

I stayed in 1 month ago with my wife and kid for 3 nights!!
The experience from arrival till departure was very unpleasant.
starting with the NO smoking sign!! and everyone is smoking everywhere!!! even at the lobby!! and reception check in!! there was a man smoking and cause he is a guest no one dared to tell him to put it off!!
breakfast was a disaster!
the hotel became extremely poor!!
i am Egyptian by the way.. and i know how this hotel was like before now.. its extremely POOR!!
Room view is nice specially the nile view, rooms are small, but clean.
i would recommend Marriott or Sofitel el gazeera
PLUS!! to eat or drink in any of the restaurants!! is EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE for no good reason!!
and if i didnt pay cash or credit card! i.e. if you let them add the bill to the room! they add 3%!!!!
one more thing!! i gave the laundry my brand new shirt to iron it came back with a blue pen marking the shirt's pocket..well to be honest they cleaned it after i bashed them!! but still!! why would i give them a new shirt and they give it back to be marked!!

Room Tip: if you still insist on going, choose a nile view to feel the difference
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family

Dear kabouzeid,

Reading through your message, I would like to apologize to you for not being able to deliver the InterContinental Experience during your May stay in the hotel.

Looking forward for the pleasure of welcoming you and your family back to the Semiramis in the near future where all effort will be exerted to make your coming stay more enjoyable.

Reviewed 18 June 2012

Against all recommendations, I decided to visit Cairo between the 12th and 16th of June 2012. EVERYTHING you see on TV is false, the city is very, very safe and friendly for tourists and i felt that in the hotel as well.

I specifically chose the Semiramis as it was behind Tahrir Square and on the nile road, so if i needed a quick getaway I can just hail a cab on the road and head to a safer place; but i never needed to do that since nothing remotely dangerous was happening in the area.

The hotel is staffed with very friendly, professional and welcoming staff. Check in was a breeze and the room amazing. I should mention that I got a free upgrade to a nile-view room on a high floor before I arrived to the hotel, so this was a major plus. However, as a lone traveller I would've expected a king/queen size bed, but was given two queen sized beds instead. Ah well, can't complain really.

Breakfast was part of the package and it was just delicious to say the least. The shisha cafe was also pretty good and had excellent food, shisha and overall ambiance.

I highly, highly recommend a trip to Egypt and a stay at this hotel, which is within walking distance to Tahrir Square and Talaat Harb street, a major street-shops area that is very busy at night.

Thank you, Semiramis, for the wonderful accommodation.

Room Tip: Chose a room on a high floor so you can sleep at night as the nile road can be quite noisy at night...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Mounir S

Dear Mounir S,

My name is Marc Lambert, Executive Assistant Manager, marc.lambert@ihg.com and I would like to thank you ‘Shokran Gazeelen’ for your review on the Semiramis InterContinental Cairo. It was my pleasure reading that you and your friends enjoyed your stay in our hotel and Cairo during June 2012.

Looking forward for the pleasure of welcoming you and your friends back to the Semiramis in the near future.

Reviewed 16 June 2012

the stay there is very nice and the hotel staff is helpful , we spent nice days there

Room Tip: Corner suits are large & Sunny
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Hakeem A,

My name is Marc Lambert, Executive Assistant Manager, marc.lambert@ihg.com and I would like to thank you ‘Shokran Gazeelen’ for your review on the Semiramis InterContinental Cairo. It was my pleasure reading that you and your partner enjoyed your stay in our hotel.

Looking forward for the pleasure of welcoming you two back to the Semiramis in the near future.