“Awful ”

InterContinental Cairo Semiramis
Ranked #13 of 139 Hotels in Cairo
Reviewed 14 August 2017 via mobile

Gulf area customers receive the best treatment and service which is the opposite to the service any other nationalities receive.

Smoking is happening everywhere in the hotel even when there is a sign of NO SMOKING.

Security staff are very rude, they don't follow the rules especially with Arabs (Gulf area customers)but follow it and be strict with others.

Inappropriate behaviour from group of Arab young men and women took place around family friendly swimming pool. They were allowed to drink whisky and Beer, have very loud music , dancing and flirting inside and around the pool with and the staff did very little to stop them.

Services around the pool is awful and slaw unless you speak in English.
Room service is very slow & incompetent and food is not good as well.

Not soundproof rooms at all. Music goes on every night outside next the swimming pool from 10:30 pm till after 3:00 am. In a superior Nile view room in the 15th floor, it was very difficult to sleep or relax at night.

The only good service is in the Night & Day restaurant, really good staff and looks after all guests very well.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
ICSemiramisStaff, Manager at InterContinental Cairo Semiramis, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2017

Dear Mai R,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We apologize for the inconveniences you faced during your stay, as that is not up to our normal standards. We will share your feedback with our staff and make the necessary changes. We hope you choose to stay with us again, so we can show you our true level of service.

There are newer reviews for InterContinental Cairo Semiramis

Reviewed 11 August 2017 via mobile

We were treated like Royalty, giving us a Nile view suite with an access to the VIP lounge. Everyone was super friendly and nice. I definitely recommend using this hotel. Really enjoyable stay. Safe and quite, we also shopped and used the facilities at the First floor.

1  Thank Fred S
Reviewed 9 August 2017 via mobile

I wish service gets better and the View is the best ever. U. Mng ...... zzz ....... ....... management is just fine. Park needs to be controlled by the hotel. Wish all that be in mind no ignored. Unless you do not need certain kind of guest

1  Thank MarwanYasser
Reviewed 9 August 2017

IHG® Rewards Club member

In fact all floor to 28th floor very excellent
Very great Service
Staff is knowledgeable and courteous
Restaurants are very good value and quality is excellent
Rooms are quite and clean with very good air conditioning
Room service was prompt and accurate
Semiramis the best in cairo

Room Tip: Overlooking the Nile River from the rooms and suites, the hotel also combines the river with views o...
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business
ICSemiramisStaff, Manager at InterContinental Cairo Semiramis, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2017

Dear Law H,

Reviewed 2 August 2017

Excellent location, nice Nile views, elegant and safe lobby area. Service and customer-friendly aspect came up rather short for this caliber of a property. Sad as I was hoping for much more and have come to expect this from many other InterContinental hotels.

Likes:

- view
- location
- security
- lady receptionists were nicer and more competent than male counterparts.

Dislikes:
- they never answered several emails - to the front desk's address - weeks before arrival. Not a peep. Already an initial bad impression.

- oddly, all of the top floors are smoking-dedicated. 15th is as high as we were offered. Didn't entertain upgrade despite fairly empty building and having Gold status.

- pool closed at 6 pm, in high summer!

- didn't answer phone various times and didn't fulfill our requests accurately or timely. Hard to fathom for an IC.

- spa was closed, was told that we could use Kempinski, but needed 24h advance notice, but even when we did, they didn't follow up or confirm. Total run-around mess.

- shower was small, protruding handle bar made it almost impossible to move around and the head was very short and the curtain didn't cover both corners of the tub. Had to bend over, uncomfortable, water on the floor each time.

- a general indifference by staff and inflexible, ineffective conversations with them. We just avoided interactions and took care of ourselves.

- to top it off, got the checkout bill wrong. We were charged for the whole mini bar! when we didn't consume anything. Could've missed this egregious overcharge if hadn't requested and inspected line-item bill. Wasted 15 minutes to sort this out at the end of our tumultuous stay.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends
3  Thank WorldAdventurer_7
ICSemiramisStaff, Manager at InterContinental Cairo Semiramis, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2017

Dear WorldAdventurer_7,

Reviewed 29 July 2017 via mobile

The worst hotel in Cairo. There is no way this hotel is 5 stars. I stayed 4 days (2 nights) for my sisters wedding and it was the worst !

Day 1: The first day I went to visit my sister and help set things up, it took about an hour to get her bags upstairs. My mom asked 1 million and one times for a hanger for my sisters wedding dress which took another 4 hours. But eventually came.
The room was not the cleanest but it was okay. There were some coffee stains on the bathroom door and some of the fruits from the welcome platter were eaten.
We opened the mini bar to find someone's food and drink from a previous trip had been left inside. The juice was spilled in the fridge, we called the front desk they sent someone for the mini bar. Apologized and told us he'd send someone from house keeping. Someone from house keeping came and said it wasn't his responsibility and that he would send someone from the people who were in charge of the mini bar to clean it up. No one ever came.

Day 2:
Next day when I arrived the security at the gate was very rude. Never met someone who works that is so rude. I missed the entrance to the hotel on the side so I tried to enter from the main enter range ( we drove about 10 m opposite of the traffic). He wouldn't let us in and yelled at me and the driver. When I asked for his name he said (a name I can't remember ) from el amn like he was untouchable or something.

We checked in, of course one of the rooms wasn't ready. Once both rooms were ready we asked for them to open the door to make the rooms connecting. We asked the floor head and he told us to call the front desk with a very rude attitude. We kept calling as usual no one answered. The receptionist are obviously trainees or inexperienced because they are very unhelpful.The bathroom in our room was full of flies. The room was very dirty and dusty we spent an hour cleaning down everything.

There is renovation in the hotel which starts at 8 a.m. and doesn't stop. We couldn't rest all day. They continuously woke up my daughter from her nap with all the drilling which was completely unbearable. It continued on day 3 also.

At night we had the wedding. The waiters in the wedding were rude. Someone spilled something on the dance floor where several people slipped, I asked 4 people to clean it up. NO ONE DID. Until I went and wiped it myself, they sent someone to do it after I was done. The shadow man who was supposed to be with my sister suddenly disappeared during the wedding. My mother asked the waiter to bring her food, he told her to go eat with the young people. She asked about 3 waiters for tea none of which brought it to her. It was the worst service I've ever seen.

Day 3:
We ordered breakfast in the room, the food took about 2 hours. Everything was bland. No flavor at all. When we called and asked for salt and pepper they brought it after an hour.

The next day we had brunch in the restaurant in the lobby. I asked for a small water, room temperature about 10 times from 3 different people. It came wrong twice after taking about an hour. I also had ordered fries which came about 1.5 hours after being ordered.

There is a large lack of security in the hotel. A man followed my sister and I to my mothers room and tried to enter. But my mom yelled at him so he ran off.

At about 3:30 a.m. There was a false fire alarm. At about 4-4:15ish there was another announcement to clarify the false alarm. Both waking up my 1 year old

Day 4:
Check out was slow but smooth, we honestly could wait to leave.

Worst hotel ever. Wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Especially not someone going on vacation.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
4  Thank Menna A
ICSemiramisStaff, Manager at InterContinental Cairo Semiramis, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2017

Dear Menna A,

Reviewed 28 July 2017 via mobile

I was really amazed by this lovely hotel, the staff is very helpful and always smiling, the food is delicious specially the oriental one ,the rooms are clean and the view of the nile river is heart taking ,this is not my first stay and it wouldn't be my last one ...thank u ❤

Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business
ICSemiramisStaff, Manager at InterContinental Cairo Semiramis, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2017

Dear Moustafa E,