2,640 results
All reviewsold palacezamalek towersuez canalcountry kitchengarden cafepalace builtthe executive loungemain buildingbeautiful hotelan oasiszamalek islandbusiness centernile viewspecial thanksegyptian museumegyptian poundsfour seasons
Reviewed September 17, 2009

My girlfriend and I really enjoyed our stay here. We went during Ramadan, so the grounds were lit up with pretty decorations. The smell of fruit flavored shishas (hookas) was very pleasing and pervasive for most of our stay, throughout the outdoor restaurant and pool areas.The gardens were very well maintained, and the pool was pretty great (large area, both indoor and outdoor swimming, hot tub, clean and nice towels).

There were many dining options and all of them had high-quality, tasty food. The free breakfast buffet at Omar Cafe was massive and had cooked-to-order omelets, smoked meats and cheeses, many types of fruit and yogurts, and even gourmet type non-breakfast food like sushi rolls. The orange juice had soda water in it, which we didn't like. The restaurant Egyptian Nights was fantastic local food (and the source of the shisha smoking, so it smelled nice), and we also had a yummy pizza and salad at the indoor indoor cafe just in the door from Promenade, and tasty quesadillas and a burger at the Promenade Cafe. We didn't try sushi or Italian or the American place, but they all looked nice as well. The price of the food was pretty reasonable, although we avoided the priciest options like the kabobs and meat platters at Egyptian Nights. Tips: Try the spicy cheese, it's awesome! Also, watching the women making fresh bread was interesting.

The room was comfortable and well-maintained. As far as I can tell, there's no reason to get a "nile view" room, since both of the major buildings are situated such that the balcony view includes the nile. Might request an inner room to see the pool and courtyard areas. That was nice to see. Wired internet in the room is an extra fee (about US$15/day).

The location is convenient to several of river boats, and we walked to two of them during our stay. There's also a small grocery store and a larger gas station convenience store within a few blocks (for much cheaper water than the bottles from the mini bar, just walk away from the Nile along the under side the 26th of July bridge, about 3 blocks).

Staff members at the hotel weren't particularly friendly, but th manager was apparently really nice to my girlfriend when we wanted to extend our stay for a few extra hours (since we had late flights).

A few minor complaints: blanket in non-smoking room smelled like cigarettes but was replaced. It's also possible that smoking had been allowed in the room (or someone had just done so), but there was a non-smoking sign outside the door. Also, we could not find seating in pool area on Saturday afternoon even though guests had put towels on seats and left, and we were barked at by a pool attendant when trying to sit in one even though the people weren't anywhere to be found.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank paulwhit
Reviewed September 9, 2009

This hotel was absolutely gorgeous inside and out.

The security measures when entering the building (metal detectors/ armed guards) seemed a bit drastic, but it became routine during the week we were there.

The hotel boasted a large lobby, providing all necessary amenities, several banks and currency exchange offices, friendly personnel, a shopping 'centre' within the hotel, nightly entertainment - live music and belly dancing, and more.

The rooms were immaculate, spacious, and depending on your location in the hotel, had a decent view of the courtyard/ pool area. We didn't order room service during our stay, however any other request made to the staff was dealt with in a polite and timely fashion.

The hotel's location is approx. 30mins driving distance from the pyramids, the sphinx, and the archaeological museum of Cairo (depending on traffic). When in the hotel, you forget you're in Egypt, until you walk outside and turn the corner.

Overall, if you're looking for comfort in Cairo and willing to pay for it, I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank Electra S
Reviewed August 31, 2009

Initially we stayed in the hotel Maardi as that is where Intrepid booked us and it was terrible so we booked elsewhere for our night in Cairo before we flew out and opted for one of the executive suits at the Marriott. Its a beautiful hotel in a convenient area with excellent service and remarkable seclusion from the hustle and bustle of the city. Would definately stay there again if came back to Cairo.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank EvilParrot
Reviewed August 31, 2009

Was joined by wife/daughter on business trip.
The first room we were put is was a smoking room despite being told it wasn't.
Very poor follow-up by management/front desk staff.
Great facilities, which is a local attraction.
Everything is charged for, including children's play area.
Very handy for Cairo Museum and airport.
Lots of night life within the hotel - open air bars, restaurants, cafe, night club and jazz bar. Very opulent. The executive club is great, with a full dinner, which is useful is you're eating late at night.
Rooftop/open air cinema - which we didn't try but looked great from our room.
Worth staying in...

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business
3  Thank WorkNPlayHomenAway
Reviewed August 26, 2009

I recently stayed in this hotel on a brief leisure trip to Eypgt. This is a very nice hotel. I would not call it a luxury hotel, but it is a very solid hotel and I had a very pleasant stay there. It is best suited, I would think, for business travelers and would be good for families too. The service was impeccable. The hotel and grounds very very clean. They have a nice pool area with food/drink service and several restaurants in the garden area, which are nice to eat at any time of the day or evening. They have a really good American breakfast buffet, European buffet and what they call and Oriental buffet. It is a bit on the expensive side (about $25 dollars) but well worth it. They also have several other restaurants and a couple of bars.

My only complaint about my room was that it was a "smoking room" and they did not seem to have very many "non-smoking" rooms. I had a great view of the Nile, however I did not find Cairo a very picturesque place, so the view wasn't so great. It seemed centrally located, but you probably couldn't walk to many places from there because it is located on an island.

However, I wouldn't recommend walking anywhere in Cairo personally. I also would not recommend trying to drive in Cairo. Imagine New York cab drivers meet Italian drivers and then multiple that by 100. Apparently, there are no road rules, only suggestions, which are not followed. It is insane. I highly recommend, if you are traveling for leisure, to hire a personal quide and driver, which are quite reasonably priced. I used Continental Tours in Cairo, which I found on Trip Advisor and they paired me with Amina Desouky who was great and the driver Hameda who managed to get me around in one piece (no small feat in Cairo). All the licensed guides in Egypt are apparently Egyptologists and have at least a four year education. They are very knowledgeable and it really is a great comfort to have them.

The Hyatt in Cairo looked quite nice as an alternatice and for a luxury property, if you do not need to be in Cairo the whole time, I highly recommend Oberoi Mena House out in Giza by the Pyramids.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled solo