2,972 results
All reviews terrace cafe egyptian museum sherlock holmes pub manal fouad nile view the executive lounge indian restaurant special thanks second home cairo tower high floor tahrir square duty manager front office breakfast buffet visit cairo enjoyed my stay
Reviewed June 13, 2011

Stayed here as part of a group tour. We were given rooms overlooking the Nile and from the 19th floor we could see the Pyramids each afternoon. Traffic never stops in Cairo so having an upper floor was no doubt more quiet. We were near the elevators but did not hear any noise. The room was well kept, clean and, aside from an ancient hair dryer, very satisfactory. Buffet breakfast was excellent and the dining staff in particular were very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the Nile.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PassportTherapy
RamsesHilton, Hilton Management at Ramses Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2011

We have read your comments and we are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for the nice comments on the staff performance and we look forward to welcoming you back again to the hotel.

Reviewed June 13, 2011

We stayed at this hotel twice on our extended vacation to Egypt, and would go again. The rooms are clean and had every amenity that we Americans are accustomed to. The beds were comfortable, and we slept very well. We had no trouble with the AC once we'd turned it on and left for a few hours so it had a chance to cool the room. The views from both of the rooms we stayed in were incredible - just look at the user photos here on TripAdvisor and you'll see what I'm talking about.

There is a bank in the hotel on the first floor that will make change for you. Handy, but expect to have to ask twice for the change you actually want (pound coins) as they will pretend not to understand you (not the hotel's fault.) Aside from the great breakfasts, the food we had (room service and the pub) was unremarkable, but I found most of the food in Egypt to be disappointingly bland, probably because it is made overly generic for tourists. One of the "hotel" restaurants is actually across the street in a shopping center but its very easy to navigate to.

It was our anniversary while we were there and the hotel manager sent up a complimentary tray of fruit. One of our companions also tried to send us champagne but it ended up in her room instead, so we were given tiramisu the next night. One of the funniest stories from our trip was trying to order a drink from the pub - I asked for a strawberry daiquiri, was told there were no strawberries available, so would I mind lemon? Well, that sounded odd, but ok...I ended up with what must have been lemon juice and vodka, with no sweetner whatsoever! It was terrible but I made it drinkable with a few packets of sugar from the coffee service. My friend's mojito was good though, and quite strong, so maybe stick with that if you go!

The hotel is an easy walk to Tarhir Square and the Egyptian Museum. I know the traffic is scary but just take it one lane at a time and you'll be fine - or follow a group of locals. The Square was the only place we saw revolution-related souveniers, so if thats something you want, get them while you are there.

Final note: Toilet paper (and the lack thereof) is something you will need to think about in Egypt. I was surprised that the only time I went somewhere that all of the rolls were completely empty though was at this hotel, just outside the breakfast area, so dont assume that just because you are in your hotel that you shouldn't be prepared.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank LadyoftheMoon

We have read your comments and we are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are also glad that you enjoyed your anniversary with us at Ramses Hilton.
However, we apologize for the misunderstanding that took place regarding your beverage request and the hotel amenities.

We look forward to welcoming you back again to the hotel and if we can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us on ramses@hilton.com

Reviewed June 10, 2011

I stayed here as part of a tour package. As everywhere, there were few guests. We were upgraded to the 21st floor with a view of the Nile and Tahrir Square. Though my room was by the elevator, I couldn't hear them or foot traffic though other tour members commented on noisy neighbors. The rooms were needing some updating. 2 single beds pushed together - one rock hard, the other very soft and saggy. Decor was out of date and there had been a number of repairs to the marble bathroom countertops. There was a flatscreen TV, but not a lot of channel choices. The balcony wasn't large, but adequate, however, lots of dirt and dust on the rails that got onto your clothing. View was great and allowed me to plot my route to the Egyptian museum across all the streets I needed to cross. The fan/AC didn't seem to be working in my room which was a mixed blessing. I found the temperature just right, and the defunct fan meant not having to listen to it as well as all the street noise all night. Housekeeping staff was almost too solicitous; offering refresh service several times a day as well as the once a day cleaning.

Service was very good, except lunch seemed to take a long time given that I was the only customer. I had plenty of attention from the waiters, head waiter, maitre d' and hostess. The breakfast buffet was part of the room cost and was very extensive, well displayed; hots were hot and colds were cold (important there).

The pool was small but the area was well maintained with bar and casual dining area. Down side was it was only on the second floor right adjacent to a busy thoroughfare so lots of traffic noise.

I used the business centre to check emails as I didn't bring a laptop, so there is a cost of approx $4 per 15 minutes, but the speed was good and they were helpful.

The public area was well maintained and decorated to impress. HHonors desk and general registration were polite and efficient, and granted my request for a 3pm check out. You do have to go through xray every time you enter the hotel as do your packages. Lots of men in black suits visible.

Location is good with access to the Egyptian Museum, the Corniche, and there is a mall across the street managed by the Hilton, but it is mostly shoes and clothing. Tourist shopping was not to my liking.

The experience other than the room made it a "very good" experience.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Quiltingmamma
RamsesHilton, Hilton Management at Ramses Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2011

We have read your comments and we are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for the nice comments related to our Front Desk, Food and Beverage and Business Center and Housekeeping Team Members.

We would like to inform you that the hotel will soon go through a renovation process to satisfy all our guests' needs.

We look forward to welcoming you back again to the hotel.

Reviewed June 9, 2011

17 - 20 January 2009

we visited the hotel for business purposes. we enjoyed the ambience and rooms were all well maintained. food was excellent. being an Indian we preferred our country type of food there. They got inhouse restaurant called Maharaja and we had good time there enjoyed our cocktail and dinner. every day night visit to restaurant. during my next visit I was staying in a different hotel still used to visit Maharaja restaurant for dinner and enjoyed myself. It was pleasant and memorable experience there.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank FREEBIRD034

We have read your comments and we are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for the nice comments on the hotel, especially for the Indian Restaurant, Maharaja. We look forward to welcoming you back again to the hotel.

Reviewed June 9, 2011

The hotel was very good. It was in an excellent location, albeit having to risk your life to cross the road (WORD TO THE WISE: find a local and use them as a human-shield to cross the road; they don't mind, honestly). The staff were very professional and courteous, and made us feel very welcome. The one thing I would recommend is that you include the buffet breakfast into your room plan, as this will save you loads of money trying to find places to eat! However, I would stop there - don't do the full meal plan, as [I believe] you would be going down to the same restaurant very day for breakfast and dinner. For a long stay in the hotel (for us, 9 days/8 nights), this could seem a little 'same-ey' over and over again.

There were a couple of issues that caused problems whilst we were staying. The first was the speed of the toilet cistern refilling. For us, it took nearly 45 minutes to refill fully, or otherwise it would not have enough power to flush completely.
The second issue was with the restaurants. Unfortunately, due to the revolution (and, I know this is out of the hotel's hands), the 'Windows on the World', 'Citadel', and 'Falafel' restaurants were all closed due to "operational reasons" (said the receptionist, when I questionned him). This was a massive disappointment, because on those nights, we then had to go back to the 'Maharaja' Indian Restaurant or the 'Terrace Restaurant' for dinner again, or take a taxi to find somewhere. One night, we were even contemplating going to the Sofitel El Gezirah! Bottom line is, we had this reservation made since very early January, and not one e-mail communication was sent informing us of these possible issues.
The third issue is to do with the preparation of vegetables or other fresh produce. BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL, as I'm sure you are all too aware, foreigners should not consume the tap water in Egypt. Unfortunately, and even though I was very careful, some of my food might have come in contact with some fresh produce that had been washed under tap water, and I developed 'Egypt-tummy' (if you don't know what it is, look it up; not particularly pleasant).
The fourth issue was to do with the functionality of credit/debit card readers. Sometimes, they wouldn't accept any of my cards, but when I went to an ATM to withdraw the money, there was no problem. I, much like most travellers using cards abroad, will pick up a 'percentage' charge if you withdraw money from an ATM. Although minor, these charges can add up.
The fifth issue was with the hotel to airport transfers offered by the Ramses Hilton. Unfortunately, these services do not start running until 07:00am, and with a flight at 08:00, I was forced to pick-up the phone and start calling around. Not what I wanted to do 12 hours before my flight was due to depart. Especially, as I thought, I had it all confirmed before I came to the country. Taxis, as nice as they are, can say one price at the hotel, and another at the airport. Especially, with your luggage in the boot (trunk), you need to be very clear and concise, and trust in your haggling skills.
The sixth, and final, issue was the noise. Even though the french windows onto the balcony were double-glazed. The noise from outside did go on, sometimes, until 02:30am. Triple-glazing may help the issue, but a cheaper way to drown out the noise would be switching your air-conditioning up to the medium setting (and, yes, you can control the temperature), and letting the drone of the air circulating around your room, send you off to sleep. It's better than storm-shuttering up the windows with towels or a tower of luggage.

One thing to be aware of though, is the Ramses Hilton Shopping Mall. Not really my cup of tea. It is not all it's cracked up to be. Just a personal opinion...

Otherwise, the stay was very pleasurable, the staff were very nice. Our housekeeping assistance was always smiling and cheery, and always willing to help. Much like most of the staff we came in contact with. Even though this issues are minor, they are more things to be aware of, rather than something that could potentially ruin your business trip/holiday. You will have a lovely time here, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to friends, family or colleagues.

Room Tip: All floors have good view, but go for a Nile view!
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dom9610
RamsesHilton, Hilton Management at Ramses Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2011

We have read your comments and we are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. However, we apologize for the issues that made you somehow dissatisfied and we hope you received our email that clarifies each point in details.

We look forward to welcoming you back again to the hotel, and if we can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us on ramses@hilton.com