“Ramses has good location”
Review of Ramses Hilton

Ramses Hilton
Ranked #15 of 138 Hotels in Cairo
Reviewed 7 September 2008

Ramses Hilton has a great location adjacent to the Nile waterfront. Staff was friendly, breakfast buffet was good, and Windows of the World restaurant provide a great view and excellent food. Our rooms were quite nice with great city views. The hotel offers 24 hour banking/money exchange. We would recommend it.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
3  Thank Dan C

Reviewed 31 August 2008

The Ramses Hilton is situated by the Nile near Tahrir Square. It has a grand foyer that always seems to be busy. So after a hard day being tourists in hectic Cairo we came here to relax and take in the panoramic night views of Cairo from the Hilton's bar on the 36th floor. We were there in December and practically had the bar to ourselves. The ambiance was so relaxing and quiet, the staff smiling and gentlemanly. The views of Cairo and the Nile at night are fantastic. With our drinks we ordered meze (baba ghanoush, humus, olives, salami, vegetables and tasty local flat bread). We didn't try their main restaurant but if the quality of the Sharm's Hilton Fayrouz is anything to go by then it should be good. We made the most of the evening, and whilst there, we prepared our trip to Sharm. For me it was the highlight of three days in Cairo. I didn't get to see that much of the city but what I did see I didn't like. I was told I didn't go to the right places so I will return to Cairo and do it properly.

1  Thank hotelstory
Reviewed 2 August 2008

Good location, clean and tidy, nice view from our room. However, considering the steep price (we paid around £250 for a night), the interior of the entire hotel was a bit dated, the wear and tear was quite obvious. If you are paying so much for a hotel room, you are probably a sort of person that expects a high standard of room and service, so the dated interior was a disappointment, and we did feel we paid too much money for what we got. Especially because one night's stay in that hotel could easily feed an Egyptian family for about 3 months; we had no idea how poor the people are in Cairo, and we felt quite guilty for blowing that money on a hotel room. It wasn't even worth it.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BillieK
Reviewed 12 June 2008

Agree with other reviewers that this hotel is in need of an update, especially the bathrooms. For some reason, the shower heads are made for people of 5 ft height, leading me to do some back bending to rinse my hair. Their blow dryer was not very powerful. But the room was spacious and the view was nice. Our balcony was so small that it could maybe fit one person comfortably. We had an early dinner at the rooftop restaurant "Windows on the World". The view is spectacular! You can see the pyramids in the distance. If the sun is still shining, sitting close to the window can be hot. But later in the evening it is very enjoyable to sit by the panoramic windows. They do need to clean the windowsills, it was a bit dusty when we were there. The food prices were pretty reasonable and my companion had wonderful lamb chops. My sampler plate included chicken, beef and pigeon. I really don't recommend pigeon (gamiest flavor I've ever tasted) and the chicken and beef were dry. Breakfast buffet in the Terrace Cafe was quite good.

• Stayed: June 2008
2  Thank igougo2
Reviewed 30 May 2008

I stayed here for 5 nights, and arrived at 2am. Check in was fast and friendly; because of my Hilton Honours card , I was upgraded to a junior suite on the 18th floor. Views were magnificent ; the Nile , mosques, Gezira Island etc !!

The staff couldn't have been friendlier or more helpful; nothing was too much trouble. I was given a bathrobe, and a lovely fruit bowl.

Breakfast was a good spread of international / local food; open at 6am , and a breakfast box on the last morning when I had to leave to catch an early flight.

Crossing roads outside the hotel was the only problem ; I had to grab a confident local's arm for the first few times,as it was a truly terrifying experience ... probably a mixture of Paris/ Hyde Park Corner/New York ,and rather like the dodgems. InCREDibly noisy !

I would certainly stay there again and highly recommend it.

Stayed: May 2008
4  Thank Examiner
Reviewed 26 May 2008

Been staying at this hotel four times, and while the age of the hotel (built in 1981) is definitely showing in more place than one, I think the Ramses Hilton remains a good choice for the traveller, whether you are on holiday or on business for a reasonable price, just don't expect first class or five stars like you find it in other places around the world.

The standard rooms are quite large and some of them has more or less recently been refurbished and put up-to-date, while others may bear signs of age like peeling paint, cracks in the tiles and spots on the carpets. The rooms all have balconies, mini bar, hair dryer, comfy beds etc. The rooms are cleaned daily, of course, but due to the hotel's size, we experienced on more than one occasion that housekeeping was not done when returning to the hotel late afternoon. That is annoying when all you want is to get inside and relax.

There are several good restaurants at the hotel, bars, a small shopping arcade, banks and ATM's and the breakfast buffet is very good. The front desk staff are polite, but sometimes a bit on the slow side, and it can be difficult to "get your message through" if you have a problem. On the other hand, the guest relations personel were often able to fix things fast.

The hotel is located in the middle of the city and if you can bear the traffic, you can easily walk down town or grab a cab outside the hotel. Remember that a cab from within the hotel's premises is always more expensive than hailing one directly on the street. The museum is placed opposite The Egyptian Museum which is a definite must-see.

Try to get a room with a Nile view. It is spectacular!

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled on business
4  Thank LouiseAl
Reviewed 21 May 2008

Having only a few days for our trip to Cairo, my wife and I were keen to find a hotel that was close to all the sights. Ramses Hilton turned out to be just perfect in that regard. It takes no more than 15minutes into Islamic Cairo and about 35minutes to the pyramids. Disadvantage is that the hotel is located near a busy bus depot and flyover so you basically needs to get the taxi to wherever you want to go or otherwise risk crossing the streets.

The hotel itself was (as is mentioned in other reviews) not up to international Hilton standards in many regards, but for Cairo it seems pretty good with an amazing shower, good AC and helpful friendly staff. The view of the nile was lovely too.

However my serious gripe is about the restaurants. They have at least 6 that serve a variety of tasty dishes but each time we ate there my wife and I ended up feeling sick. We spent the entire holiday eating McDonalds meals from the plaza opposite as the only safe option!

One big tip is that if you have not come with a tour guide and plan to explore places on your own then its helpful to ask the doormen or concierge to get the taxi driver to take you around between a few locations. you'll end up paying a little extra but the taxi will stay with you and take you to a few of the must see places like sultan hassan mosque, the citadel and the mosque of ibn tulun.

Enjoy your trip!