“No water....No shower” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #19 of 139 Hotels in Cairo
Bologna, Italy
“No water....No shower”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

this is the second week i spend at Hilton.
The first week was good. The hotel location is in a very calm area, and it has access to several shops and nice restaurants.

the hotel is not usually crowded, the breakfast is good....the pool was being renovated, so i did not have time to try it.....

i woke up this morning to find out that there is no tab water...no shower.....weird situation for a hotel....

Room Tip: there are rooms with a view at the Nile, choose the highest floors, 8th and above...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Devilmind
Medhat S, General Manager at Hilton Cairo Zamalek Residences, responded to this review, 13 April 2012
Dear Devilmind,
Thank you for your time to write your feedback, I am pleased that you have enjoyed our restaurant and food. I am truly sorry for that day we could not supply water as water cut was from the main supply source, we have tried to urge the authorities to work on fixing the problem as soon as possible especially after our two emergency tanks ran out of water, however that took some extra time. Please accept our apology as it was out of our control to solve the issue faster, and hope the rest of your stay went fine. I hope to welcome you in the near future once more to enjoy our facilities and hospitality with guarantee hassle free accommodation.
Kind regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Arabic first
Stockholm, Sweden
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2012

Hotel is just ok. Old furnitures, old bathroom with no shower. Ffriendly staff, but not willing to walk the extra mile. Do not recommend to open the window - after 30 sec room was full of mosquitos. Positive is location close to embassy area and many restaurants, cafes and bars.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear Lilind,
Thank you for your valuable time to write your feedback, we are pleased that you liked our superb location, we have noted your comments about the room furniture, kindly be advised that our hotel last full renovation was completed on 2009, however we understand that we can not meet all tests and expectations, I would like also to high light that we have two types of bathrooms either equipped with a bathtub or a standing shower. Kindly be advised that due to the fantastic location of the hotel being located directly on the bank of the Nile river, during this time of year some of the very small flies are flying over the Nile river and they are always attracted to any light, that is why we are always recommending to our guests to keep their windows closed during the evening time or to dark the room before opening the large terrace overlooking the Nile river. I wish to welcome you once more in our hotel and I promise to be an enjoyable accommodation.
london
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2012

I stayed here as my hosts in Cairo were long-term residents of the hotel. The location is great for Cairo - away from the really crazy traffic and with some of the best arty and funky shops just a walk away.
The views from the sun deck, the gym and the higher rooms of the Nile are spectacular. The staff at reception were friendly and nothing was too much trouble for them. I had some food at the hotel and it was also very good.
Good gym (not so well equipped, but great view) and pool is a good size, and also has a nice view over the Nile.
On the negative side - the beauty salon was only so-so, but this is only a minor issue, as they were accommodating and friendly.
Overall, a nice place to stay away from the real downtown chaos (incl Tahrir Sq) and in a safe, friendly area.

Room Tip: try to get a nile view room
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
ahmedsalawi, General Manager at Hilton Cairo Zamalek Residences, responded to this review, 31 January 2012
Thank you very much for your review on tripadisor, it is rewarding to see that you liked our hotel.

I am also happy to know that you were satisfied with the services provided by our team, your review will serve as a motivator to all of them.

Fontana, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2012

Actually the hotel is very clean. Has an excellent location, well secured. Rooms are big in space, clean but has an old furniture. All rooms has an excellent Nile view. The hotel might need more activities and services like shops or info.kiosk.
I had a confirmation for Nile view deluxe room, but I have a feeling that the room I have got was away from deluxe, thus I advice everyone to not bother and pay more from standard to deluxe as it doesn't worth.
Staff are very polite but not highly trained, I have been charged for minibar expenses that I did nit use then I found someone from the room service came to the front desk and handle them cash in hand, so I don't know if they just was trying to make me pay for it ? Or what? Anyway, watch out for your checkout bill very well, or even ask to empty your minibar once you arrive.
Another point, I was asking for the rates in case I would like to extend but I have been told that rates are above 300$!!!!!!!! Although online I could book it for 96$. So I don't understand that.
Thanks.

Room Tip: Ask for high floor facing the Nile
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
ahmedsalawi, General Manager at Hilton Cairo Zamalek Residences, responded to this review, 23 January 2012
Thank you for your review on tripadvisor, I noticed that you - generally - liked our hotel, which is great to know. Allow me to clarify some of the points you mentioned: the added benefit of the Deluxe rooms are: the size of the room (35 sq. m), the View, and the size of the balcony, the standard rooms are not on the Nile, are smaller (27 sq. m), and have a smaller balcony.

I thank you for your feedback on the minibar, which I will investigate further.

I thank you also for your remark regarding rates, though the $300 could be our "rack rate" which has to be posted in our rooms as per the government regulations, apart from that, our selling rate are on the internet, and are the same on all channels.

Thank you once again for staying with us and for your feedback, and we look forward to welcome you again in the near future.

Regards

Kanpur, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 December 2011

Hilton Zamalek is a very comfortable hotel. The best part is the spacious living area and decent kitchen. The view of the Nile is awesome. Try to take room number XX04 or XX05 above 5th floor. The balcony for these rooms is very wide and can seat around 8 people.
The house keeping and front office staff is very polite and helpful. Nearby stores give a convenient option for day to day needs.
Try to spend some time at the Goal restaurant nearby. Drinkies, the local wine/beer shop give home delivery service in about 15 mins.
There is no Bar at this hotel.
Overall, it is an ideal place for long stayers.

Room Tip: Take rooms with number xx04 or xx05, fifth floor and above.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
ahmedsalawi, General Manager at Hilton Cairo Zamalek Residences, responded to this review, 22 January 2012

regards.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2011

Having just returned from my second visit to Cairo in the last two months i have to say do not be put off by all that has happened there this year, i stayed this time at the Hilton and everyone was really lovely nothing was too much bother, the guest relations manager was outstanding.

The hotel is still referred to by the locals as the Safir the hotel sits on the Nile worth paying for a Nile view as the non Nile view rooms over look the residential side of Zamelek, the
Rooms are large, well equipped, the swimming pool is lovely and rare for a city hotel.

Well done to all the staff that made my stay so much better and i will be back

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Solo41-11
ahmedsalawi, Manager at Hilton Cairo Zamalek Residences, responded to this review, 26 October 2011
Thank you for your review on tripadvisor. I am glad to know that you liked our hotel and that you enjoyed your stay with us.
Manchester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2011

My husband and I stayed in this hotel for 3 months, whilst he was working in Cairo. This was just before it joined the Hilton brand (they were preparing the sign just as we left).

The hotel is in a very nice location by the Nile in the Zamalek district, which is occupied by many of the embassies. There are various small shops within a few minutes walk of the hotel and it always felt like a safe and secure/pleasant area. It was a lot more peaceful than a hotel in the centre of the city.

Our room had an adjacent lounge, which was shared with another room. This lounge contained sofas, a coffee table, storage units and a large TV. We preferred to stay in our room, but it was nice to have the option to use the space if required. There was also a small (separate, also shared) 'kitchen' area, with a fridge and a cooker...although there were no pans/utensils/plates, but I guess we could have asked for some. Instead, we chose to eat out.

Our bedroom was a corner room, with one set of patio doors facing the front of the hotel, and another set to the side, overlooking the Indian Ambassadors residence. The balcony ran all the way around, and the Nile was clearly visible (very nice). These rooms are much lighter than the rooms that are not on the corner (a colleague was staying in one of those!).

The bed was comfortable and there was also a desk, plus a storage cupboard containing a fridge, with a large flat screen TV on top. We accessed the internet by purchasing an Etisalat dongle in town. A kettle with complimentary tea/coffee/sugar and two mugs was also provided (and restocked daily).

We didn't eat breakfast in the hotel as we prefer just a light bite. We did have dinner in poolside restaurant a few times. The outdoor seating area was very pleasant during the Summer, with all the lights of the city twinkiling in the distance and the brightly lit cruise boats passing by. The food was good but nothing special, and we soon tired of the menu, as this never changed. The staff were all friendly and efficient.

The pool was fairly small but rarely busy, except during holidays like Eid when more 'tourists' would arrive from the Middle East. Many of the regular guests were business travellers, often staying for long periods like us. The hotel also contains a small gym and offers sauna/massage facilities. Like the pool, these are open to non residents for a daily
charge or as part of a membership package.

The hotel also has meeting rooms/conferencing facilities.

All in all, I would say this hotel is an excellent choice for anyone visiting Cairo for business or pleasure.

Room Tip: Ask for a Nile View - it's lovely! Corner rooms are lighter and more spacious
  • Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
ahmedsalawi, General Manager at Hilton Cairo Zamalek Residences, responded to this review, 26 October 2011
Thank you for your review on tripadvisor. I am glad to know you enjoyed your stay and that liked our hotel.
I am also happy to know that you were satisfied with the service provided by our team, your review will serve as a motivator to all of them.