“Great location, terrible management and poor rooms”

Om Kolthoom Hotel & Tower
Ranked #87 of 144 Hotels in Cairo
Reviewed 6 April 2012

Sadly I have to agree with several of the other reviews - the entrance to this hotel gives the impression of 4* hotel but the room had seen better days, it smelled of stale tobacco, the bathroom had seen far better days (all the pipes leaked so the floor flooded, the bath was black from years of scrubbing it, the bin was dirty, the shampoo sachet was already used...). The management were extremely rude - trying to tell me that their visa machine didn't work and trying to send me to get cash from an ATM - it was 10.30pm and I had just arrived from a 12hr train journey from Luxor so I refused, saying I would pay in the morning. They made me give whatever cash I had as a deposit and told me I could pay with a card the following morning and have my cash back. They did not honour this agreement. For reference I paid $80 for one night for a single room.

The breakfast was not that great, but there was a super friendly omelette chef who also made me some special fuul. He was lovely. Also the charming bell man carried my bags down the road to another hotel that I decided to stay at because this one was such bad service. He was also lovely and could see that I was unhappy (to say the least). And the person who brought me some room service was also warm and friendly. It is only the management who don't seem to care about their guests.

The Flamenco round the corner is much better value, infinitely cleaner with brand new bathrooms, although the management are not especially polite there either and increased the price I had agreed over the phone. This seems to be a feature of hotels in Egypt sadly.

Room Tip: If you do stay here, ask for a room at the back. If you choose one with a Nile view, you will hear c...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
7  Thank GertrudeBell09

Reviewed 14 January 2012

My boyfriend and I booked to stay there by booking.com. When we arrived the receptionist gave us an exchange rate that almost doubled the price we booked for the room. We left the hotel without staying there..Avoid it!!!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank athpiraeus
Reviewed 12 February 2011

They did not tell us the emergency calls from Japan several times, even in the revolution period.
The receptionists insisted that they had no small changes.
The breakfast was so expensive and very poor.
They used mold smelling tap water for powder juice.
The room service was always absent.
So, my conclusion, this hotel was very Ancient Regime Arab hotel.
If you would like to have the 20 century post-colonial period unreasonable experience,
try to stay there!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
6  Thank SalamUnagami
Reviewed 31 December 2010

Very old hotel but OK location, room spacious, friendly staff except the manager,air-conditioning in my room did not work, i ask to change my room but the hotel manager instead of that offered me a fan, and it is supposed to be a four star hotel, i will rate this place as only two-star hotel, I will not recommended this hotel for any one.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank Hashem_Saleh
Reviewed 6 December 2010

I’m not one to writes reviews, more interested in reading them and I only wish I had read these reviews before staying at Om Kolthoom. Our trip and experience of Egypt had been fantastic up until we checked into Om Kolthoom. My wife and I arrived on a sleeping train from Luxor and obtained some advice from the tourist information office in Ramses station, who in turn explained our requirements to a taxi driver who took us to Om Kolthoom.

Pros

- Décor: Traditional Egyptian décor with grand entrance and lobbies
- Room: Spacious, clean, has flat screen TV & Nile view (deluxe rooms/suites only)
- Hotel: Downtown central location
- Service: Temp room provided when we checked in whilst our Nile View room was being prepared. Caveat was not to make any mess or use the bathroom.
- Porter, housekeeping and breakfast staff were most friendly and helpful.
Cons
- SERVICE: Appalling service and receptionist struggled to understand English.
- SERVICE: When checking in, our room took 4 hours to prepare and the receptionist promised to provide us updates but she didn’t bother and when she was challenged she got frustrated and wouldn’t admit her fault. After showering and getting ready it was 6pm and half the day was wasted.
- SERVICE: Payment was taken during check in. Only manager can make refunds but was never to be seen. The front office Manager did not help and advised me to see the manager – essentially left it to me to chase up the manager.
- ROOM: Bathroom lacking the standards that the rest of the hotel portrays. See pictures.
- ROOM: Bathroom lock was broken and many times we found ourselves locked in the bathroom.
- ROOM: Same lock used on room door needs to be locked before you leave the room.
- BREAKFAST: Terrible breakfast – we had better breakfast in cheaper hotels in Cario. No choice in bread, no fresh fruits, no yogurt, poor quality (tinned) olives, no hummus and no fresh orange Juice.
- BREAKFAST: Cold tea and Coffee – although slightly warmer when we arrived a little earlier for breakfast the next day.
- BREAKFAST: Small home/residential toaster – see picture
- BREAKFAST: Buffet was cleared away without asking us if we had finished.
- BREAKFAST: Under staffed – not just for breakfast but in all areas.
- BREAKFAST: Guest making his own omelette because of lack of staff.
- BREAKFAST: No tissue or napkins on tables
- BREAKFAST: Tables not cleared up immediately after guests have had breakfast – see picture

Conclusion

The reception staff are rude, the hotel aesthetically may look 4 star but taking everything into consideration it’s probably a 2/3 star hotel. We paid $140 per night, I will not recommend this hotel to anyone at that price – perhaps if prices where discounted by 60% then it would be good value for money.
Overall the biggest downer for our stay, even worse than the annoying haggling sales men at the bazars!!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank AtharC
Reviewed 5 December 2010

They wanted us to pay a bribe for my husband to stay because apparently if we are going to stay in the hotel room together we need a marriage certificate which could be arranged, for a price of course.
The staff arranged a taxi driver for me an hour or so after check in who, well, that's another story . Maybe because i was unhappy with the taxi driver and didn't pay him, then he couldn't split his profits with the staff who arranged the taxi "my friend, my friend", maybe that's why for me, room service was non-existent i found after 3 phone calls, an order placed and 2 hours of waiting, i was also invisible when at the reception desk, especially when my husband arrived.
I also found big long black hairs in my bed which grossed me out, the ceiling in the bathroom was leaking and the carpet was filthy.
Yes the location is good but having to leave the hotel early while they refused to refund me for the rest of the stay that i had already paid for and then having to arrange alternative accommodation wasn't really what i had expected to find on my 2nd night in Egypt.
I certainly did not expect to have the receptionist, standing beside the manager yelling "THIS IS ISLAMIC COUNTRY" as we left, funnily enough, my husband and I are both Muslims.
ps. The hot breakfast was actually more stale, cold and tasteless. chopped up hot dog, fried in onion and oil...yum yum

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank lakoosi
Reviewed 5 December 2010

The price is not compatible with the service provided. Very old hotel. The breakfast is terrible for someone used to each fruts at morning.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business