“Forget the charming name & Avoid to stay!”

Om Kolthoom Hotel & Tower
Ranked #68 of 139 Hotels in Cairo
Reviewed 12 February 2011

They did not tell us the emergency calls from Japan several times, even in the revolution period.
The receptionists insisted that they had no small changes.
The breakfast was so expensive and very poor.
They used mold smelling tap water for powder juice.
The room service was always absent.
So, my conclusion, this hotel was very Ancient Regime Arab hotel.
If you would like to have the 20 century post-colonial period unreasonable experience,
try to stay there!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
6  Thank SalamUnagami
There are newer reviews for Om Kolthoom Hotel & Tower

Reviewed 31 December 2010

Very old hotel but OK location, room spacious, friendly staff except the manager,air-conditioning in my room did not work, i ask to change my room but the hotel manager instead of that offered me a fan, and it is supposed to be a four star hotel, i will rate this place as only two-star hotel, I will not recommended this hotel for any one.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank Hashem_Saleh
Reviewed 6 December 2010

I’m not one to writes reviews, more interested in reading them and I only wish I had read these reviews before staying at Om Kolthoom. Our trip and experience of Egypt had been fantastic up until we checked into Om Kolthoom. My wife and I arrived on a sleeping train from Luxor and obtained some advice from the tourist information office in Ramses station, who in turn explained our requirements to a taxi driver who took us to Om Kolthoom.

Pros

- Décor: Traditional Egyptian décor with grand entrance and lobbies
- Room: Spacious, clean, has flat screen TV & Nile view (deluxe rooms/suites only)
- Hotel: Downtown central location
- Service: Temp room provided when we checked in whilst our Nile View room was being prepared. Caveat was not to make any mess or use the bathroom.
- Porter, housekeeping and breakfast staff were most friendly and helpful.
Cons
- SERVICE: Appalling service and receptionist struggled to understand English.
- SERVICE: When checking in, our room took 4 hours to prepare and the receptionist promised to provide us updates but she didn’t bother and when she was challenged she got frustrated and wouldn’t admit her fault. After showering and getting ready it was 6pm and half the day was wasted.
- SERVICE: Payment was taken during check in. Only manager can make refunds but was never to be seen. The front office Manager did not help and advised me to see the manager – essentially left it to me to chase up the manager.
- ROOM: Bathroom lacking the standards that the rest of the hotel portrays. See pictures.
- ROOM: Bathroom lock was broken and many times we found ourselves locked in the bathroom.
- ROOM: Same lock used on room door needs to be locked before you leave the room.
- BREAKFAST: Terrible breakfast – we had better breakfast in cheaper hotels in Cario. No choice in bread, no fresh fruits, no yogurt, poor quality (tinned) olives, no hummus and no fresh orange Juice.
- BREAKFAST: Cold tea and Coffee – although slightly warmer when we arrived a little earlier for breakfast the next day.
- BREAKFAST: Small home/residential toaster – see picture
- BREAKFAST: Buffet was cleared away without asking us if we had finished.
- BREAKFAST: Under staffed – not just for breakfast but in all areas.
- BREAKFAST: Guest making his own omelette because of lack of staff.
- BREAKFAST: No tissue or napkins on tables
- BREAKFAST: Tables not cleared up immediately after guests have had breakfast – see picture

Conclusion

The reception staff are rude, the hotel aesthetically may look 4 star but taking everything into consideration it’s probably a 2/3 star hotel. We paid $140 per night, I will not recommend this hotel to anyone at that price – perhaps if prices where discounted by 60% then it would be good value for money.
Overall the biggest downer for our stay, even worse than the annoying haggling sales men at the bazars!!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank AtharC
Reviewed 5 December 2010

They wanted us to pay a bribe for my husband to stay because apparently if we are going to stay in the hotel room together we need a marriage certificate which could be arranged, for a price of course.
The staff arranged a taxi driver for me an hour or so after check in who, well, that's another story . Maybe because i was unhappy with the taxi driver and didn't pay him, then he couldn't split his profits with the staff who arranged the taxi "my friend, my friend", maybe that's why for me, room service was non-existent i found after 3 phone calls, an order placed and 2 hours of waiting, i was also invisible when at the reception desk, especially when my husband arrived.
I also found big long black hairs in my bed which grossed me out, the ceiling in the bathroom was leaking and the carpet was filthy.
Yes the location is good but having to leave the hotel early while they refused to refund me for the rest of the stay that i had already paid for and then having to arrange alternative accommodation wasn't really what i had expected to find on my 2nd night in Egypt.
I certainly did not expect to have the receptionist, standing beside the manager yelling "THIS IS ISLAMIC COUNTRY" as we left, funnily enough, my husband and I are both Muslims.
ps. The hot breakfast was actually more stale, cold and tasteless. chopped up hot dog, fried in onion and oil...yum yum

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank lakoosi
Reviewed 5 December 2010

The price is not compatible with the service provided. Very old hotel. The breakfast is terrible for someone used to each fruts at morning.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 November 2010

Spacious rooms, King Size bed, balcony with a view on the River Nile... A very pleasant hotel and absolute good value for money. Only negative point is that they don't have internet in the rooms, only in the hotel lobby.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 November 2010

We stayed at Om Kalthoom for 6 nights. Never again. This is why:
- internet connection very slow
- near a mosque so got woken by muslim wailing over a loud speaker at 4.30am every morning
- work on resealing floor in main foyer began at 3am - 7am. Noise could be heard in our first floor room. Complaints fell on deaf ears.
- Bed - blanket looked old. Top sheet did not extend to the end of the bed, was too short by a foot.
- air con did not work after 2nd night, it just blew out warm air.
- fridge did not work, looked like it had been sitting there as decoration for the last 10 years
- towels were thin
- concierge did not know of any tour operators, but interestingly ran his own tours.
- Breakfast not enough variety. No much bread variety - only odd tasting white bread available. No toaster.
- Air con in breakfast area hit and miss. Usually miss, so room was hot and stuffy most mornings.
- Booked a deluxe double room. Got a dingy room. window was a couple of panes of frosted glass which looked out onto a wall. Curtain very old and dusty.
- no tea and coffee facilities in the room
Only redeeming feature of this hotel is that the staff were friendly.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple