“No alcohol”

Ranked #51 of 138 Hotels in Cairo
Vienna, Austria
“No alcohol”
Reviewed 18 October 2011

Although this hotel, as an ex-Hyatt property, is relatively clean and luxurious, travelers should be warned that no hotel restaurants or bars serve beer, wine or any other sort of alcohol. The only exception is in the the revolving restaurant at the top floor with its associated bar - there you can have an alcoholic drink and admire the lovely views of the city.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank Molendinari

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Clements, California
Reviewed 30 September 2011

I stayed at this hotel in early May 2011 while it was still styling itself as the Grand Hyatt Cairo Hotel (because no one seemed to know what the new name would be). I was there as a travel consultant touring in Egypt with Ya'lla Tours with travel journalists and other travel consultants. We were there to see if Egypt is ready for tourism again. The verdict: it most definitely is! Don't hesitate, just go while you can still be there ahead of the crowds.

I decided to arrive a day ahead of time so that I could do some exploring of Cairo on my own. The Grand is at the northern end of Roda Island which makes it very conveniently located for sightseeing. On my "free" day I took a taxi to Old Cairo and visited the Coptic Museum there as well as wandering around the streets of this original section of Cairo. I especially enjoyed meeting local people, especially shopkeepers, who were most welcoming and very glad to have a tourist there. My taxi driver, Aldo, treated me to a drink of fresh sugar cane juice on the way to Old Cairo then waited for the several hours it took me to explore on my own so he could take me back to the hotel.

About the Grand Nile Hotel: it is definitely clean, up-to-day, and beautiful. It would be considered a 5-star hotel anywhere in the world. It offers all the amenities, including room service, a couple of bars (including one at the top of the hotel which has a panoramic view of the Nile), a galleria of shops (which were closed on my free day since it was a Friday, the Islamic equivalent of a Sunday), an ATM in the lobby, a concierge, a lovely pool with pool service, and more. The room was modern, was very nicely furnished, had a great balcony with chairs for sitting out and watching the views across the Nile, had all the bathroom amenities you would expect in a 5-star hotel, free wi-fi access, and a safe in the room which was large enough from my netbook and more. The breakfast buffet was plentiful and delicious. The dinner I had with my roommate at the hotel's Nubian Village Restaurant was one of the best I've had anywhere.

What was quirky was the availability of beer and other booze. I was pleasantly surprised on the first night there after a very long flight from the States that there were beers in the room's mini-fridge-- I did not expect that in an Islamic country-- and my roommate and I decided to treat ourselves to the beer while we ate the appetizers provided by the hotel management to welcome us. I was even more surprised to discover they were "near beers." The next night, after enjoying our dinner at the Nubian Village, we went to the bar at the top of the hotel for a night cap: again, no alcoholic beverages were available. I can easily live without drinking any alcohol, but was surprised that such an otherwise sophisticated hotel would be dry. My roommate and I got a good laugh about it.

I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

PS - I highly recommend Ya'lla Tours for any discerning traveler who wants to visit Egypt. You can have a tour for as few as two people traveling together or a larger group. Ya'lla Tours takes care of even the smallest detail so your trip will be as near to perfect as is possible. Ya'lla Tours are also available in Israel (I traveled there with Ya'lla in February 2007), Jordan, Turkey, Morocco, Greece, and Cuba. I would travel with Ya'lla anytime and trust Ya'lla for my clients.

Room Tip: Ask for a Nile view.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
Englewood, Colorado
Reviewed 28 September 2011

The hotel has many dining options and all were of good quality. The room was a little dated even though the entrance was renovated recently. The hotel takes security very serious with detailed screening of each guest and visitor upon entry into the hotel. The view from the room was pretty cool, overlooking the Nile River and on a clear day you can see the pyramids. Walking distance to downtown as well as the Egyptian Museum.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 19 September 2011

Great Rooms + Friendly Staff who spoke really well + Grand & Sumptuous Buffet Breakfast; In all a great place to stay in Cairo, right at the center.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
Berlin
Reviewed 9 September 2011

We stayed in a rental flat in Cairo and came to the Nile Tower (ex Hyatt) just for the pool. The day ticket costs 300 Egyptian Pounds per person.
The shower and locker area is very clean and comfortable compared to other pool premises in Cairo.
There is a clean and nicely decorated indoor jacuzzi, separated for men and women.
The outdoor pool terrace has the best view of the the nile and Gezirah island. Real wooden deck chairs. Unfortunately, the outdoor jacuzzi was out of order and closed.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Athens
Reviewed 18 August 2011

Grand Hyatt Cairo is a typical (nice) large hotel.
Its best value is the breakfast (one of the best i have ever had)
Also the front office staff is really helpful.
The room is clean but not too large.
Finally the insulation in the toilet is not that good.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
egypt
Reviewed 12 August 2011

worst service very very bad food
The service staff is a friend

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends