“Very poor quality service”

Hotel Metro Nairobi
Ranked #140 of 170 Hotels in Nairobi
Reviewed 10 December 2016 via mobile

I booked the hotel three months in advance by email but after getting no response rung a one Hellen who booked us the 4 twin rooms. 2 days before arrival I called to reconfirm the reservations and a guarantee deposit was paid.
On arrival, they had only 2 very small single rooms for our group and they even denied I ever contacted them. And they would later suggest they refund back our money so we try to find another place to stay but we just refused to leave until they found us room anyway.
Breakfast was the worst to get. Those who ordered for tea were served milk only. All omelettes have to be French omelet. I requested for black coffee and was offered 2 spoons of instant coffee powder on a saucer.
No help even with our bags on check in or out.
This is probably the worst you could stay in Nairobi.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family
Patrick M, Manager at Hotel Metro Nairobi, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2017

All your complains were addressed with the seriousness that it deserves however we are
Still Hoping that you can kindly provide your three months advance booking email Sir, to manager@hotelmetro.co.ke.

Reviewed 9 November 2016

I ended up in this hotel when I found out that the hotel o booked originally just next door was not operational. I was looking for a place to stay for the night.
I really have nothing good to say about the hotel.
Far below the standard. Room was really dated and worn out. Bathroom was totally inconvenient and unpleasant to use. No towels in he bathroom at first. I needed to ask for some. I got one in a questionable condition – delivered by the security guard.
I wanted to be out of there the minute I checked in.
Very friendly and helpful staff though – but that unfortunately does not make it a good hotel to stay.
I’m still thinking how are they involved with that business of the closed hotel next door. I could not shake off the feeling like they had some wired part in it, but I can’t point my finger at anything specific.

Room Tip: to find a good room chose a different hotel
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled solo
2  Thank Jack B
Reviewed 19 September 2016

Good location when going on a safari next morning (if safari starts near City Market). Rooms are ok, wifi was working (even on the far end of the elevators). They also have a restaurant. Nothing special but also nothing bad. Would stay there again. I got reduced rates through my (budget) safari operator,

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled solo
Patrick M, General Manager at Hotel Metro Nairobi, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2016

Dear JamboHouse,

Thank you very much for staying with us. We appreciate your comments and are glad that you indeed enjoyed your stay as well as services. Be assured that we are continuously revamping our services and guest facilities as guided by guest comments and we may just surprise you - in good way - next time.

We look forward to hosting you again.

Regards,
Hotel Metro Team

Reviewed 13 September 2016

I stayed in this hotel during my business trip in Nairobi, according to the condition of the hotel I can recommend to any kind of traveler. You will miss only swimming pool, but all the rest no complain..! Very nice and clean rooms with all necessary comfort, during my visit they had only problem with WiFi, was not reach into my room, but I brought with me a portable device for such case of emergency. Thank you for been born in Africa! If you are a traveler who sleep during a day and stay awake at night, then this is also the right hotel, because they have underground pub.

Room Tip: Room where WiFi is reachable
  • Stayed: March 2016, travelled solo
Patrick M, Manager at Hotel Metro Nairobi, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2016

Dear Giuseppe,

Thank you very much for staying with us. We appreciate your comments and are glad that you indeed enjoyed your stay as well as services. We assure you that we are currently working on solving the WiFi problem by ensuring the signal is equally distributed.

Please visit us again in future.

Management

Reviewed 27 August 2016 via mobile

Pathetic service. The receptionist was very rude. She kept changing the rates of the room. And then finally allotted a bad room where everything was out of order. The tv the water heater the bathroom all were in shabby condition. Even after repeated requests they couldn't provide with hot water.
Highly not recommend.

Stayed: August 2016
1  Thank apurbos2016
Reviewed 25 August 2016

i stayed there two nights with my husband . i liked the location, the city market was near by, lot of local resturants, a java house across the street.. i only used the room to sleep in the night. there is no ac or fan. they usually leave the bed room window a bit open for ventilation. it was not hot, but there were mosquitos ( they did not bite me as i was under the quit) the room is cramped. they give one bottle complimentary water. however the breakfast in the morning is very very skimpy. the staff was pleasant.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ashwinsgirl
Patrick M, Manager at Hotel Metro Nairobi, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2016

Thank you for taking time to give us some feedback. We take this chance to assure you we have made improvements in our service delivery, no effort will be spared in ensuring that all guests experience guest comfort , flawless service and value for their money. Please let us know the next time you will be visiting so that we can reserve one of our best rooms for you and avail you with a new experience of refined our service delivery.

Reviewed 24 August 2016

My enduring memory of this hotel is being afraid to touch anywhere except the bed. I booked for two nights and paid in full when I checked in around 7pm Found urine stains on the toilet seat and they changed my room. Electrical fault made the lights go off and I was left over 2hrs in the dark while the receptionist went home ignoring my request to have my room changed. Around midnight phone was answered by second receptionist who cleaned the toilet bowl in the room I’d vacated before. In the morning couldn’t take a shower as heater wouldn’t work and water was freezing. They said the electrical fault had affected the heater and no, they couldn’t change my room except I would pay extra to be upgraded. Alternatively, they would take me to this more expensive room just to take a bath and then return to my room(!). No, I couldn’t believe my ears either. Then they sent someone to take me to another room. Litter on the floor; the staff said maybe the housekeeper forgot to clean the room. Wet towel on a chair, water all over the bathroom – it was obvious someone had just checked out and the room hadn’t yet been cleaned. The staff said but there’s an extra towel I could use. I went down to the reception and told them they could refund my money and I find another hotel. The receptionist called the manager who didn’t pick, then sent sms, then called me from my room to the reception to speak with the guy on the phone. They eventually changed my room. About 12noon I tried to take a bath and found pee stains again on the toilet seat and a horrible smell from the floor vent. I was just tired. I closed the door and waited for housekeeper to come and she cleaned the bathroom. I left first thing the next morning.

Fresh urine stains on toilet seats, crappy attitude from staff, I don’t think the floor rugs are ever vacuumed. Dining room furniture looks like it’s never been cleaned. This place does not belong in the hospitality business. Nairobi Central hotels are expensive; sadly what you pay for is what you get, but I don’t care how cheap this hotel is, any price you pay for this kind of service is too much.

Room Tip: Wifi said to be stronger closer to the lifts
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled solo